Need advice on new Sport Purchase | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on new Sport Purchase

I think we have decided to buy new, local dealership doesn;t have it here yet, says net week they arrive...Black on Black 2016

Look your hood paint over before you sign anything. Mine and the one other shadow black that my dealer had both has hood paint issues. They were built months apart also so it's not a one batch deal, and it wasn't transport damage. The deficiencies are small so you have to really look it over. I am still dealing with Ford trying to get the hood replaced and not just repainted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look your hood paint over before you sign anything. Mine and the one other shadow black that my dealer had both has hood paint issues. They were built months apart also so it's not a one batch deal, and it wasn't transport damage. The deficiencies are small so you have to really look it over. I am still dealing with Ford trying to get the hood replaced and not just repainted.

Want to post a pic of yours so that I can see specifically what and where you are seeing the issues so I can look for it.

That doesn't make me feel good already about the purchase of a new vehicle with paint issues already lol....dealer says mid-week they are coming in so i'll; check them over good before I do any dealings. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, I would also like to see pictures of these paint defects your complaining about. I closely looked over my entire 16 Sport today and see nothing wrong with the paint even under the hood. I only found some tar spots and cleaned them up.

Want to post a pic of yours so that I can see specifically what and where you are seeing the issues so I can look for it.

That doesn't make me feel good already about the purchase of a new vehicle with paint issues already lol....dealer says mid-week they are coming in so i'll; check them over good before I do any dealings. Thanks for the heads up.

Here you are. All I have is the camera on my phone. I am unable to get the bubbles to show up. The first one is the "pimple" (raised spot, like something might be under the paint) and the second one is a triangle missing pant with clear coat over it... Also note the nice scratch marks.

2015_10_27_13_21_33.jpg

2015_10_27_13_20_42.jpg

I think we have decided to buy new, local dealership doesn;t have it here yet, says net week they arrive...Black on Black 2016

Good Choice, the used are just two expensive and usually have high mileage.

Deal!

Alright, the Dealership gave us what we wanted on our Challenger SRT8, took it up there this afternoon to see what they'd offer and borrowed the 16 Explorer Sport to test drive and have my wife drive it on her lunch break.

So i'm closing the deal this evening when my wife gets off work, 2016 Black on Black Ford Explorer Sport with 401A package sitting in the driveway says KEEP ME! All sorts of bells and whistles on this baby, it's quick also, not fast but plenty of power for an SUV.

I would not touch a Jeep until they have the transmission issues fixed. That is a real issue, not just something that hits a small percentage of them. Check out those recalls for Chrysler products. I would gladly take a risk on a few Explorer finish issues over the mechanical issues known to plague the Jeep's and Durango's.

Want the Sport but miss the SRT power but the room of a 3 row SUV? Get a livernois tuner for $600 and go faster than your SRT8 (at least the new ones) in your Ecoboost. There's a thread on this in the modifieds.

I would not touch a Jeep until they have the transmission issues fixed. That is a real issue, not just something that hits a small percentage of them. Check out those recalls for Chrysler products. I would gladly take a risk on a few Explorer finish issues over the mechanical issues known to plague the Jeep's and Durango's.

Want the Sport but miss the SRT power but the room of a 3 row SUV? Get a livernois tuner for $600 and go faster than your SRT8 (at least the new ones) in your Ecoboost. There's a thread on this in the modifieds.

Haha I already told my wife that I can add a Livernois Tuner to make it as fast as the Jeep, she liked that idea :) God I love her haha! It will be happening! Thanks for the input, closing the deal tonight on the 2016 Sport!

Alright, the Dealership gave us what we wanted on our Challenger SRT8, took it up there this afternoon to see what they'd offer and borrowed the 16 Explorer Sport to test drive and have my wife drive it on her lunch break.

So i'm closing the deal this evening when my wife gets off work, 2016 Black on Black Ford Explorer Sport with 401A package sitting in the driveway says KEEP ME! All sorts of bells and whistles on this baby, it's quick also, not fast but plenty of power for an SUV.

Hint: Turn off traction control in the left cluster for a little more power

Deal is done! Proud new owner of a 16" Explorer Sport Black/Black 401A package. Wife loves the SUV. Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

16 Sport

You will absolutely not regret buying the Sport. I had a 2013 Sport and it has lived up to be a very reliable car for just about anything. Recently, I made the decision last month to trade in my Sport for the new 2016 Platinum and it was also a purchase I did not regret making. It has been a amazing vehicle. It has all the bells and whistles from self parking to massaging seats and standard everything!!! It also comes standard with the 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost with 365hp like the Sport and I can only say...that's some power for a suv/crossover!!!! Its also great in any type of terrain or weather especially snow!! So the Platimum is basically a Sport with Luxury features. The Platinum is packed full of options that are standard. (not all) but most of the standard features in the Platinum can become an option for the Sport such as, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, and the front 180 degree camera ( which I love! It helps you see when pulling out parking lots, alleys, etc. and both front and back cameras come with washers which is a must need if you live like a place where I do in the west with lots of snow. I always use to be wiping my 2014 Sport's camera off cause it got so dirty that I couldn't see out of it. The Sport starts at about $41,300 (depending on which options you get) I would say most Sport's average prices are between $46,000-$49,000. With those prices, are full of options similar to the Platinum's. The Platinum starts at a little over $50,300 and this is booked out on options. So (Depending on your pricing) I would consider paying those extra $1,000-$3000 for the Platinum. I don't want to effect your decision on buying a vehicle. I just wanted to give feedback on the Sport and Platinum. Buying a car is a huge purchase so leave that up to you. I hope this helped you on your decision.

Deal is done! Proud new owner of a 16" Explorer Sport Black/Black 401A package. Wife loves the SUV. Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

Congrats, you (and your wife for that matter :) ) will enjoy it!
Purchased one of the early ones (June) and didn't have any regrets yet.

As for fordguy19 and the Platinum: Same engine, more features, true, but different suspension AND (a big one for me) a different look. I love the Sport for the features AND the look., the Platinum not so much. Because of that it's great that we have the choice and everyone can buy to his/her needs and wants :)

Congrats, you (and your wife for that matter :) ) will enjoy it!
Purchased one of the early ones (June) and didn't have any regrets yet.

As for fordguy19 and the Platinum: Same engine, more features, true, but different suspension AND (a big one for me) a different look. I love the Sport for the features AND the look., the Platinum not so much. Because of that it's great that we have the choice and everyone can buy to his/her needs and wants :)
+1. I've been considering getting a Platinum then blacking everything out to get the Sport appearance. Some plasti-dip or vinyl wrap should mostly do it, except the satin chrome side mirrors and roof rack. And would need the Sport's darkened taillights. Probably better to just do the Sport and lose the nice interior. :(

+1. I've been considering getting a Platinum then blacking everything out to get the Sport appearance. Some plasti-dip or vinyl wrap should mostly do it, except the satin chrome side mirrors and roof rack. And would need the Sport's darkened taillights. Probably better to just do the Sport and lose the nice interior. :(

The grill is what I love and the black on black interior with the metallic/silver highlights. The two tone contrast as available in the Platinum is not my thing.

Here you are. All I have is the camera on my phone. I am unable to get the bubbles to show up. The first one is the "pimple" (raised spot, like something might be under the paint) and the second one is a triangle missing pant with clear coat over it... Also note the nice scratch marks.

2015_10_27_13_21_33.jpg

2015_10_27_13_20_42.jpg

I will be taking delivery of my Shadow Black Sport tomorrow (already saw it in person and have some pics) and the Explorer wording on the hood of mine is "blacked" out.
Are the US models different, as your picture shows the lettering as silverish.

I will be taking delivery of my Shadow Black Sport tomorrow (already saw it in person and have some pics) and the Explorer wording on the hood of mine is "blacked" out.

I have never seen a Sport without black hood lettering from Ford. That looks like some aftermarket work - Ford has always blacked that out on the Sport's on the 5th Gen.

None of the 2016's I have seen are black. A quick google picture search of "2016 Ford Explorer Sport" will show that all the hood badges are gray/silver color. Not sure where you guys are seeing 2016s with blacked out hood badges. Please share pictures.

I just did google that and none of them have the bright or polished metal looks of yours. Is it just the lighting? They are all a matte dark gray. Like mine.

EXSportIMG_6974.png
"]
EXSportIMG_6974.png
[/URL]

I just did google that and none of them have the bright or polished metal looks of yours. Is it just the lighting? They are all a matte dark gray. Like mine.

Yep just the camera flash. Shine a bright light on yours and yours will look like mine. And as you stated dark gray and not black...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hint: Turn off traction control in the left cluster for a little more power

Is this fact? I have never heard of a traction control system limiting power just by being on, provided there's no traction issues. Please explain further.

Back