third row auto fold not folding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

third row auto fold not folding

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Sport BOB
I just got the 16 sport yesterday and tested the power third row folding today and the right side seems to be stuck and there seems to be a metal frame sticking out from the base of the right side seat in the third row. is this normal? how can i fix the third row right side power fold?

And also on the second row bench seats i can pull the right side forward to give the third row more space but the left side second row does not have the lever to pull it forward.??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First make sure the 3rd row switch is in the middle "both". If it still does not work, take it to the dealer.

Only the 40 of the 60/40 seat slides forward and back in the 2nd row.

First make sure the 3rd row switch is in the middle "both". If it still does not work, take it to the dealer.

Only the 40 of the 60/40 seat slides forward and back in the 2nd row.

thanks. i tried everything but it seems that the metal frame that folds the seat backward is dislodged. i will take it to the dealer today.

thanks. i tried everything but it seems that the metal frame that folds the seat backward is dislodged. i will take it to the dealer today.
I had that happen with my 2011 when the seats began folding by accident and my cargo mat got caught. I saw that a bracket/arm or something under the left seat had dislodged and was able to put it back in place.

Do you still have the BMW that is shown in your profile? If so, it would be an idea to add the 2016 to a signature.

Peter

Thanks for the info peter. The x3 is going back in 2 days. Will update then with pics.

Is just me or is the 2nd row bench hard to fold. I literally have to yank hard on the cord to fold it to get into thebthird row. My wife cant even get it to fold. I was wondering if i could show that also to the dealer while im there.. No?

Thanks for the info peter. The x3 is going back in 2 days. Will update then with pics.

Is just me or is the 2nd row bench hard to fold. I literally have to yank hard on the cord to fold it to get into thebthird row. My wife cant even get it to fold. I was wondering if i could show that also to the dealer while im there.. No?
I don't recall having any issue folding either section of the bench seat. Perhaps it might require an adjustment. I don't recall using a 'cord'. I thought it was all done by using the handles on the seat. My current vehicle has the power fold 2nd row buckets so I can't check that out.

Peter

There is a cord that can be pulled for third row passenger access. The lever works much better though.

As for the 3rd row, if you have anything on the floor in front of the third row that is tall enough, it could dislodge the bar that supports the "fake floor" when the seats are stowed. You just have to reinsert both ends of the bar in the bracket for the seats to be functional again. If that is the problem, it's a very easy diy fix. No need to go to the dealer.

There is a cord that can be pulled for third row passenger access. The lever works much better though.

As for the 3rd row, if you have anything on the floor in front of the third row that is tall enough, it could dislodge the bar that supports the "fake floor" when the seats are stowed. You just have to reinsert both ends of the bar in the bracket for the seats to be functional again. If that is the problem, it's a very easy diy fix. No need to go to the dealer.
That's a better explanation then the one I use in a post above. I fixed mine quite easily once I saw the problem. Thanks.

Peter

Use the levers on the side to fold - they're easier. I tend to use the handles/cord for returning the seat to the upright position. Don't forget to fold down the headrest. :)

That's a better explanation then the one I use in a post above. I fixed mine quite easily once I saw the problem. Thanks.

Peter
Hi! My third row bar is dislodged too. I saw where it goes back into place but I can’t figure out how to move the seat to put it back into place. Could you guide me in the right direction to fix this please?

Hi! My third row bar is dislodged too. I saw where it goes back into place but I can’t figure out how to move the seat to put it back into place. Could you guide me in the right direction to fix this please?
Welcome to the Forum Andrea. :wave:
That was 6 years ago and I can't recall how I did it exactly except for just 'muscling' it back into place. I don't have an Explorer now to check it out.

Peter

Back