• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Trade Worries

Fentress24

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
So they found a 2016 Ex Sport in magnetic metallic but it is located in PA (I am in central MD). I am fine with them driving the truck 150 or so miles to me since it has been a whole week since I told them to find me one! Now the issue I am having with the dealer swap:

The truck already has 410 miles on the odometer. So by the time it gets to me we are looking at 500-600 miles on my brand "new" truck.

The dealer e-mailed me today to ask if I approve of the mileage and they will finalize the deal.

It seems to me that they dug and dug until they found a demo they could buy cheaper and then sell it to me at the original price we agreed on with them keeping the extra spread.

My head is telling me to tell them NO, but I wanted to get some opinions to see if maybe I am being irrational.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"They found me a demo".
So is this a brand "new" vehicle, or is it a demo?
Rhetoric question aside, there needs to be some extra discounts (over and above what people would get when buying "new').

Ok good, so I am not being ridiculous. I just did my own search and have found 3 of the exact truck within 100 miles.

I think they went out of their way to find a demo, so they can try to sell it to me as "new" and pocket the difference.

Ok good, so I am not being ridiculous. I just did my own search and have found 3 of the exact truck within 100 miles.

I think they went out of their way to find a demo, so they can try to sell it to me as "new" and pocket the difference.

It is not uncommon to find new vehicles with up to 400 miles on them. Even brand new ones that are ordered arrive with up to 60 miles already on them. When they unloaded my Ex off the freight truck, it had 32 miles already on it.

You can try to get them to cut a little off the price, but they really don't have to do that. They will have to warranty the vehicle for the 36,000 miles though so your paperwork needs to show this. If you purchase it with 400 miles, your paprework must show that the warranty is to 36,400 miles. This is done all the time down here. No big deal.

So they found a 2016 Ex Sport in magnetic metallic but it is located in PA (I am in central MD). I am fine with them driving the truck 150 or so miles to me since it has been a whole week since I told them to find me one! Now the issue I am having with the dealer swap:

The truck already has 410 miles on the odometer. So by the time it gets to me we are looking at 500-600 miles on my brand "new" truck.

The dealer e-mailed me today to ask if I approve of the mileage and they will finalize the deal.

It seems to me that they dug and dug until they found a demo they could buy cheaper and then sell it to me at the original price we agreed on with them keeping the extra spread.

My head is telling me to tell them NO, but I wanted to get some opinions to see if maybe I am being irrational.

You are not posting the price so no one here knows if it a good deal or not. People usually get at least 5K off the MSRP and for a demo almost twice as much for many reasons. 16 x Sport are selling like hot cakes on dealer lots wright about now cause they know that the new ones will be coming in soon.

400 miles is not going to get them any discounts from the other dealership. If it had 4000 miles on it then yeah the other dealer might discount it some to them. I'm certain they tried to get you one of the 3 that were closer but I'm sure that they couldn't get them for some reason or another. If it bothers you that much ask for another $250 off, that's more than fair for the amount of miles.

Deal is a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport Magnetic Metallic with 401a, panoramic sunroof and LED Fogs. Price is $45,636 +tax, tag, title.

I responded to the dealer saying the truck was most likely a demo and asked for additional $ off because of the mileage on the explorer. Their response is that it has not reached demo mileage and they will not offer any additional discounts.

Looks like I am going elsewhere. I understand that the 600 miles are just a drop in the bucket, but I do think there should be compensation/a discount for 600 miles on a "new" truck.

They assured me there would be no issue finding the truck that I want and quoted me 48-72 hours and it has now been over a week.

Deal is a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport Magnetic Metallic with 401a, panoramic sunroof and LED Fogs. Price is $45,636 +tax, tag, title.

I responded to the dealer saying the truck was most likely a demo and asked for additional $ off because of the mileage on the explorer. Their response is that it has not reached demo mileage and they will not offer any additional discounts.

Looks like I am going elsewhere. I understand that the 600 miles are just a drop in the bucket, but I do think there should be compensation/a discount for 600 miles on a "new" truck.

They assured me there would be no issue finding the truck that I want and quoted me 48-72 hours and it has now been over a week. Did you find out who was driving in that car? Owner or different customers?

Good luck hunting. You can get the same one with a clean title with 30 so so miles on it for that price. It will hold a good resale value in case you want to trade it in 3 years or so. It will have a clean title as you are the only vehicle owner and no dealer demo written on it. I saw the white tri coat metallic and pulled a trigger on it. You can get the same price for a brand new.

My 2014 was a dealer swap. Had 782 miles on it. It was new, never titled, and the warranty started from the day I took delivery. So, my 36,000 warranty became 36,782. This is in writing.

I had no problem with it.

Seems like it was a reasonable deal. I just paid $48,747 for a 2016 Platinum in Magnetic Metallic with the Ebony Black interior. 5 miles on it when it rolled off the truck.

If you are dealing with Sheehy Ford then just go online and find the vehicle you want at another MD dealer and buy from there. I gave Sheehy 2 weeks to find the exact Explorer I wanted. Was told there are none in MD but they would work hard to find a match for me. I got the most ridiculous set of emails over the course of 2 weeks all saying "Good News" - I wanted Black or White or Silver. Every email of "Good News" was never the right color. I finally got an offer just like the one you had, but they didnt tell me it was a demo until I asked before signing on the dotted line. They wanted to pull it from PA just like your situation.

I finally just went online and found 8!!!!!!! Explorers exactly matching what I wanted around MD. I bought from Apple Ford the next day.

The Sheehy guy sent me an email stating "the other dealers lied to me".............it took 5 minutes to solve my problem.

Dont deal with this - I guarantee there is another one you want, just do through the dealer websites on your own. Buy fomr somewhere else and have it serviced at your local Ford dealer.

If you are dealing with Sheehy Ford then just go online and find the vehicle you want at another MD dealer and buy from there. I gave Sheehy 2 weeks to find the exact Explorer I wanted. Was told there are none in MD but they would work hard to find a match for me. I got the most ridiculous set of emails over the course of 2 weeks all saying "Good News" - I wanted Black or White or Silver. Every email of "Good News" was never the right color. I finally got an offer just like the one you had, but they didnt tell me it was a demo until I asked before signing on the dotted line. They wanted to pull it from PA just like your situation.

I finally just went online and found 8!!!!!!! Explorers exactly matching what I wanted around MD. I bought from Apple Ford the next day.

The Sheehy guy sent me an email stating "the other dealers lied to me".............it took 5 minutes to solve my problem.

Dont deal with this - I guarantee there is another one you want, just do through the dealer websites on your own. Buy fomr somewhere else and have it serviced at your local Ford dealer.

Good advice. Funny thing is I am actually dealing with Apple Ford. I am calling around today to other dealers to see if I can just go buy from them. I have found a couple exact matches in MD and VA.

I did buy a "demo or owners car" from KIA back in 2011 and no issues with that. it has almost 600 miles on it at the time of purchase. Since mainly the owner drove it, I was more OK with it and to this day, I don't regret it. YMMV

Good advice. Funny thing is I am actually dealing with Apple Ford. I am calling around today to other dealers to see if I can just go buy from them. I have found a couple exact matches in MD and VA.

Thats funny! Apple has been good to deal with but they sell a sh*t load of vehicles and its crowded if you need service there.

Sheehy was so shady I would avoid dealing with them - they may tell you they have it and when you show up say it was sold, but "Good News" :O

i go fetch cars for a dealer.... i have gone as far as 400 miles to get one.
sounds like this car was from another dealer then where they are getting it from which is not unlikely... i went to omaha to get a truck from a dealer and from there it went to kc but then it went to oklahoma..... it wasnt a demo, it just had been involved in a dealer trip. If it is one that with ALL your wants a desire....... GO FOR IT...

Myou 2016 was brought from Fairfax VA to Red Hill PA....so it had 200 + miles on it. No issues. ..

Doesn't the original window sticker have the original dealership it was delivered to on it? That could help tell where the miles came from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see a dealer name on my window sticker

Back