Grille Interchange 2016/17 with 2011/15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grille Interchange 2016/17 with 2011/15

dewu

Reaction score
City, State
Tychy
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT 2016
I would like to purchase Ford Explorer Platinum grille. Where can I buy it? Is it even possible to replace XLT grille to a Platinum one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to purchase Ford Explorer Platinum grille. Where can I buy it? Is it even possible to replace XLT grille to a Platinum one?
Check the Vendors button near the top left of the page. Levittown Ford Super Center has a 2016 Sport grille listed but not a Platinum. You could always check with them. There are other vendors shown as well but Levittown seems to be the most active as far as genuine Ford parts go. BTW, the Sport grille is just under $500.

Peter

Are 16 grilles interchangeable with 11-15 MY. Or are they a different size

Looking at the two model years side by side, I don't think you can do it. It's hard to say for sure. It looks like the 2011 - 2015 grille comes down a little further than the 2016 which appears to have a body structure running across the area where the lower section of the old grille is.
2016 Explorer photo is one taken by NY1PR2012.

Peter

Attachments

• 2016 Explorer_001.JPG
    2016 Explorer_001.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,144
  • 05-2011-ford-explorer.jpg
    05-2011-ford-explorer.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,943

Not interchangeable, the 16 front clip is completely different then 11-15MY.

I was also told that the 16 Interceptor grill will not fit any of the 16 retail models because of design differences.

Not interchangeable, the 16 front clip is completely different then 11-15MY.

I was also told that the 16 Interceptor grill will not fit any of the 16 retail models because of design differences.

And all manufacturers do this for a reason. They don't want easy mods to match a face lift. They want you buying a new car.

Same with thinner ties and two-button suits being back in. They want you buying new suits and ties.

And, while the 2016 has grown on me, I'm still real happy with my 2011 look, so no rush for me.

That's what I thought. I like the new grilles. Not a big fan of the huge gaudy looking fog lights. They look too big. I'll have my Sport for a few more years. Just getting broken in. Can't wait to see the next redisgn.

That's what I thought. I like the new grilles. Not a big fan of the huge gaudy looking fog lights. They look too big. I'll have my Sport for a few more years. Just getting broken in. Can't wait to see the next redisgn.

If you look at the pic of the 2011-15 above, I really like the creases where the fogs are on the 2016. I think they give the 2011-15 an aggressive look and they really show on White Plat - which is what I have. And yeah, not a big fan of the new fogs.

I do really like the LED running lights on the 2016, though I am torn on which headlights I like better otherwise. Too bad it is too expensive (in my book) to retrofit an LED strip on the 2011-15 as one person who posted here did it and it looked great.

There is big demand for the 2016 so Ford obviously did right by a lot of people's tastes, but I don't think the 2011-15 looks dated either. Doubt the typical person not into cars could tell which the newer model is, but then it was only a face lift.

Can anyone please let me know that 2016 explorer front grill will fit on 2015 explorer? Is it the same size and assembly? Or we need some modifications.

Can anyone please let me know that 2016 explorer front grill will fit on 2015 explorer? Is it the same size and assembly? Or we need some modifications.
Your thread has been merged with this one.

Peter

I own both a 2013 Ford Explorer Police Utility and a 2016. For the 2013 model, I quickly upgraded the raw, dark, and void look of the Police Utility by replacing the steel wheels with regular Explorer wheels and replacing the front end look by purchasing a chrome grille insert. For my 2016 Ford Explorer Police Utility, I am unable to find one of these chrome inserts. Does anyone know of a place to purchase one?

They are not. Ford completely change the front end design.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you replied to hasn't been seen here since September 26, 2017.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you replied to hasn't been seen here since September 26, 2017.

Peter
My response was for the betterment of the interwebs, with others that may have the same concern and are looking for an answer in their search results.

My response was for the betterment of the interwebs, with others that may have the same concern and are looking for an answer in their search results.
Understood, but the question had already been answered a couple of times.

Peter

Back