BTF Lifted and eating inner C/V axle boots | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BTF Lifted and eating inner C/V axle boots

XtremeRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger XLT
So Ive had my lift on for probably 3-4k total. I had the issue with the outer boots rubbing the bottom control arm. That was fixed by putting aftermarket c/v axles with smaller diameter boots on it. Problem solved.
Now, after putting about 2k on it since that fix, the inner c/v boots have basically rubbed a hole around themselves because of the extreme angle they are at and are slinging grease. Anybody else had this problem? This lift has become more of a pain in the ass then anything really[c/v axles, vibration, etc]....and I dont really want to take it off. Im about to have to start driving it daily again so I wanna try to come up with a solution before I do. Id love to be able to drop the front axle in the frame but I dont think thats doable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20160302_202643.jpg

20160302_202652.jpg

20160302_202703.jpg

20160302_202707.jpg

Well, there ya have it.

The extreme angle is the issue. Nothing you can do about it either.

dropping the axle would screw up the geometry of the front suspension and cause all kinds of steering, handling issues.

why has noone delevoped a drop kit like the RCX kits. When I lifted my 97 Chev, the kit dropped the entire geometry. The transfer case, control arms, shock mounts, and torsion bars all got lowered. Sure these have springs not t-bars, but that should make it easier to design.

the parts are overly complicated either.... just brackets to relocate stock items.

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

Yeah, superlift makes a kit like that for 2nd gens. But like I stated above, the rear axles on 3rd gen ( what this post is about) go through the frame , how are you going to lower those without cutting the frame?

good point.... there has to be a work around. If you do the same thing for the back, and go far enough to get past the frame, it should be doable. Just have to start at 6" or so. Pull the axles out during install and put them in below the frame. IDK, just thinking outloud. Im sure none of it is new.

yeah, and thats right where the frame turns upwards to the back.... damn ford

im running into the same problem more or less, but my big problem is that the cv axles hit the bottoms of the frame hoops in the rear. while a limit strap is required im looking into how and where to notch and reinforce the frame where the axles pass through

any suggestions?

Back