2nd ball joint boot torn since lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd ball joint boot torn since lift

armysoldier30263

Reaction score
City, State
Shaw AFB, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 BLACK 4.0 XLT
WTF? since ive lifted it ive gone thorugh 3 ball joints on the drivers side (front)

1st one bent the threads installing it (my fault)
2nd one i thought we tore the boot putting everything back together
3rd one after less than 2k miles the boot is torn again

and they are moogs ... has anyone else had these problems?
fyi it has never seen offroad only "abuse" it gets its speed breakers

guess im gonna have to get the extended ucas from btf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only thing "different" is a worn out uca bushing but i dont think thats going to make the x eat through bjs

I am using the greasable moog bjs, don't know if that has helped mine. Your spacers are taller than mine, so it might come down to what position the bj spends most of its time in. With a taller spacer the angle is a little more severe so that might be enough to make a difference.

The btf uppers should fix all of this

I've got the greaseable ones as well .. but I know some on here are running 2.25 up front .. but I figured if I didn't play with it I shouldn't have a problem tearing stuff up but guess I was wrong

A torn boot doesnt mean theyre bad, esp if they are greasable. Both boots on mine are torn but the have no play and are considered good to go.

Yeah I know but I guess I figured that the moogs wouldn't tear since they are considered heavy duty ... it just pisses me off that less than 2k miles and its already torn ... I was hoping to get alot more life out of them before something happening to them

I understand, it is weird ive got 2.5 in the front but mine were torn way before the lift and like i said they are still very good

Time for a custom ball joint boot maybe, if they make 'em. Might be able to make two out of a shock cover?:D

Maybe its time to consider uniball ucas.

yeah extended ucas seem the way to go ... i dont want to get them but to do it right i guess thats the way to go ... i hate to get em since i dont offroad it :(

I tore my drivers side boot when I installed my RB lift 2 years ago. Noticed it right after I did it and threw a pile of black RTV over the tear. Fast forward to today and I have yet to need to change it. So if you're quick enough, RTV it and then check every so often.

my boot actually came totally seperated off the bj this time ... out from under the retaining ring ... so when money permits im just going to do the extended ucas ... besides i need them to quit smacking the knuckle on the coil springs so much

maybe thats what happened? how often do yall grease them? but yea i love the new ucas ... is the price still $550?

I greased them on install and wasn't going to re-grease until much later since I still get a little extra oozing out from the bottom of the boot. Guess that's the last time I'll grease them because of the new UCAs coming out.

I believe Brandon stated earlier that the arms would still be that price but I'll wait to see what he says.

EDIT: You'll know if you overgrease because the upper part of the boot will pop off partway and grease will spill out of the opening like toothpaste lol.

thats what happened ... the top part way came off ... on the inside ... but i guess the damage is done wheter it was by me or the suspension ... whats done is done ... ill just continue to grease them periodically until i get the ucas ... anyone know what uca bushings he is using? will they be able to be replaced invidually? (the only way to replace the stock ucas bushings is to buy a whole arm)

Back