2017 ordering | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 ordering

Thank you for your responses. That is what I was thinking but having never ordered before I didn't know if it was a different animal. We are going to talk to them this week. I have tried build and price on Ford but can't build a 2017 yet. So don't know how to play that game.
I spoke with my salesman last week about the 2017 and although he had the Order Guide, he had no information on prices.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess my approach is a little different. The one single thing to remember is that the buyer holds the cards and being "ready to buy" does the talking.
I won't pay more than $500.00 under invoice. If a trade is involved, find local auction comps and that's the wholesale trade price to use with your offer.
Do your homework and know the wholesale price of your trade.

Remember, the open checkbook on the salesmans desk is THE most powerful and pressurizing tool, and it seems the tool that no one uses when buying a car. That gesture gives you the leverage, and shifts all pressure to the dealer. You are the boss and dictate the deal.
I think any dealer would be hard pressed to refuse an instant sale, and especially a gift like an order. I know I've never been turned away.

Your method only works if you're paying the vehicle off that day with your cheque book. Many Sales staff would say "have a nice day" if you tried that with financing or leasing so sometimes you have to be careful and calculating, not just calculating.

Many of us buy "A" "X" or "Z" plan and the price is fixed with possible addition of current incentives, there's no negotiation.

Your method only works if you're paying the vehicle off that day with your cheque book. Many Sales staff would say "have a nice day" if you tried that with financing or leasing so sometimes you have to be careful and calculating, not just calculating.

Many of us buy "A" "X" or "Z" plan and the price is fixed with possible addition of current incentives, there's no negotiation.

I'm guessing my part of the country may be different.
This is a volume sales area with mega dealers. Two of the largest Chevy dealerships in the States, along with a Ford dealership that is always in the top five.

I am sure there is a greater percentage of back and forth customers, which if I were a dealer, I would take full advantage of someone who opens that door. The back and forth, arguing over a couple hundred dollars for a prepared buyer doesn't seem to happen.
It's about daily sales and who is ready to buy.

I'm not sure how financing would even be a "careful" point. That's just another profit point for the dealer to take advantage of. Same with leasing.

"Z" plan is off limits to the masses, and "X" plan is still an over invoice number which is a joke IMHO".

My point is made to remind the buyer that the seller does not have the leverage because ultimately, there are dealers who don't need to be reminded that their profit includes a 3%+ dealer hold back.
A successful dealership knows a lesser profit deal is better than no deal at all.

I'm guessing my part of the country may be different.
This is a volume sales area with mega dealers. Two of the largest Chevy dealerships in the States, along with a Ford dealership that is always in the top five.

I am sure there is a greater percentage of back and forth customers, which if I were a dealer, I would take full advantage of someone who opens that door. The back and forth, arguing over a couple hundred dollars for a prepared buyer doesn't seem to happen.
It's about daily sales and who is ready to buy.

I'm not sure how financing would even be a "careful" point. That's just another profit point for the dealer to take advantage of. Same with leasing.

"Z" plan is off limits to the masses, and "X" plan is still an over invoice number which is a joke IMHO".

My point is made to remind the buyer that the seller does not have the leverage because ultimately, there are dealers who don't need to be reminded that their profit includes a 3%+ dealer hold back.
A successful dealership knows a lesser profit deal is better than no deal at all.

I brought up the hold back money to my dealership they are of the opinion that's untouchable.

They offer A Plan, plus incentives at the time which seem to be very worthwhile.

"A" Plan, plus Costco cash, plus delivery allowance, plus FALS gets you to a very fair purchase price.

Yeah, dealers always say that holdback is untouchable...until you pull out the checkbook and they see a sale ready to happen...or not.

I ordered this 17' Explorer at $500 under plus any incentives than may or may not happen.
Last summer, I paid $1,500 under invoice for my new GMC SLE 2500hd, along with 3k in rebates.
We ordered a new 16' Jeep Wrangler Unlimited at $500 under last fall.

Doesn't always work. Sometimes allotment issues rear their heads.
I paid invoice for my wife's 15' Yukon Denali. The redesigned model suffered from extreme dealer allotment issues during the summer of 2014. We waited for 10 months for the truck to be built. and well, it was what it was.
That case has only happened to me once, and my wife wanted the truck.
I understood the dealers issue, and we waited.
I've never seen such a bungled and botched launch as that K2xx GM SUV.
In hindsight, it was well worth the wait.

It may not work for everyone, but turning the table and putting the pressure on the dealership usually nets results.

I love how folks think invoice is actually "invoice".
No one really knows what the dealership actually pays, but it's definitely better than paying MSRP.

I think you have more leverage with a dealer if the car you want is sitting on the lot. They want to move it and if you are willing to drive it away that day it is a huge win for them.

I ordered a 2016 Explorer two weeks ago for $850 under invoice which I thought was pretty good.

I love how folks think invoice is actually "invoice".
No one really knows what the dealership actually pays, but it's definitely better than paying MSRP.

Ain't that the truth.
And I also believe there is a lot more profit than what we have been told. Look at some of the new dealership designs...:eek:
There is a new Mercedes dealership being built down the street from me that looks like the Taj Mahal. It's absolutely breathtaking to see, and it's not being built on skinny deals.

Unfortunately, their "invoice" is the only number we have available to work from.

Anybody have an idea when 2017 brochures will come out? I need to make a decision between Smoked Quartz Metallic Tinted or Magnetic for a '17 Sport. No Lincoln dealers near me to see if they have a model with the Quartz...

My lease is up mid-August so am thinking I should get my order in soon to get in line....

Anybody have an idea when 2017 brochures will come out? I need to make a decision between Smoked Quartz Metallic Tinted or Magnetic for a '17 Sport. No Lincoln dealers near me to see if they have a model with the Quartz...

My lease is up mid-August so am thinking I should get my order in soon to get in line....
No need to get too excited about the lease end date. If it is the same in the 'States' as here, you can easily extend the lease provided you have an order for a 2017 in the system. No idea on the brochure availability nor when the 2017 'Build & Price' will be active on the website.

Peter

I'm trying to decide between Smoked Quartz or Black. I have asked my contacts at CAP to take a picture of a TT or PP build Sport in Smoked Quartz so I can decide. I will post if I get one. But I'm inclined to wait and see it in person, because I went to a local dealer saw a Smoked Quartz Lincoln and was mixed. It's not a vehicle that compliments that colour with the same trim in gloss black like the Explorer Sport will so it's hard to tell.

No need to get too excited about the lease end date. If it is the same in the 'States' as here, you can easily extend the lease provided you have an order for a 2017 in the system. No idea on the brochure availability nor when the 2017 'Build & Price' will be active on the website.

Peter

My challenge is more that I'm going to reach my mileage limit in early August and the Ex will need to sit until a new one arrives.

I'm trying to decide between Smoked Quartz or Black. I have asked my contacts at CAP to take a picture of a TT or PP build Sport in Smoked Quartz so I can decide. I will post if I get one. But I'm inclined to wait and see it in person, because I went to a local dealer saw a Smoked Quartz Lincoln and was mixed. It's not a vehicle that compliments that colour with the same trim in gloss black like the Explorer Sport will so it's hard to tell.

That would be great - from the pics I have seen on line of the Lincoln's - it seems to have a blueish tint to it. Not sure I'll like that.

My Sport looks great in black - just don't want two black vehicles in a row. I'm also not so great at going to the car wash so my black vehicle usually looks like magnetic!

My challenge is more that I'm going to reach my mileage limit in early August and the Ex will need to sit until a new one arrives.
If it gets to that point I'd talk to the dealer and see what if anything can be done about that seeing as how you have ordered a new Ex from them.

Peter

Any info if they will be offering "Captain Style" chairs for the front and rear seats like the old Eddie Bauer Editions

Saw a Smoked Quartz Lincoln yesterday. I think the Sport would look awful in that color. Off my list for sure.

Saw a Smoked Quartz Lincoln yesterday. I think the Sport would look awful in that color. Off my list for sure.

Ya Im kinda scared it would be a mistake.....still waiting for an actual picture.

Then again pictures aren't the same as in person.

Black has been good to me and I love the 16 Sport in Shadow Black

Any info if they will be offering "Captain Style" chairs for the front and rear seats like the old Eddie Bauer Editions

No seat changes from 2016 model, other than color or surface material.

That won't happen until 2020 redesign.

Ya Im kinda scared it would be a mistake.....still waiting for an actual picture.

Then again pictures aren't the same as in person.

Black has been good to me and I love the 16 Sport in Shadow Black

Yeah, I think the contrast with the black sport pieces would look funny in Quartz.

Question - did you consider Platinum vs. Sport? Given the slight pricing difference, I'm considering it even though I think the Sport looks better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No seat changes from 2016 model, other than color or surface material.

That won't happen until 2020 redesign.

Hmmmmm - new model in 2020, maybe I should do a 3 year lease this time vs. my current 2 year. I would hate to be in on the last model year of the current series....

Back