Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
Mathieu,

If you and Ford have not heard back from K_Redmond, perhaps you and Ford should PM him since his repair cost ranges from $2,300 to $7,000 for a car with only 88,000 miles on it. Also, I think many on this forum would see it as beneficial if you could share all recalls and technical service bulletins associated with a water pump and/or over heating issues associated with the water pump.

Since this problem has the potential to affect all model year 2007-2016 Ford vehicles containing a Duratec 35 (3.5 liter) engine, that include at a minimum: 2007-2016 Ford Edge, 2007-2010 Lincoln MKX, 2007-2016 Lincoln MKZ, 2008-2016 Ford Taurus, 2008-2009 Ford Taurus X, 2008-2009 Mercury Sable, 2009-2004 Ford Flex, 2012-2012 Ford Fusion Sport, and 2011-2016 Ford Explorer. I think many in this forum are also very interested in the water pump failure statistics that Ford is seeing associated with the water pumps inside the Duratec 35 (3.5 liter) engines. It would be really beneficial if you could provide the following data to this audience associated with the Duratec 35 engines:

- Percentage of water pumps that have failed before 50,000 miles
- Percentage of engines that have had to be replaced before 50,000 miles due to a water pump failure

- Percentage of water pumps that have failed before 100,000 miles
- Percentage of engines that have had to be replaced before 100,000 miles due to a water pump failure

- Percentage of water pumps that have failed before 150,000 miles
- Percentage of engines that have had to be replaced before 150,000 miles due to a water pump failure

There should be plenty of data out there, thanks in advance.

Hi Sixonemale,

I just reached out to K_Redmond via PM.
In regards to the requested stats . That's a tall order, I'll look into it bu not sure if I can get those numbers.

Thanks,

Mathieu :aerostar:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Allow me to lend a hand, K_Redmond. Please PM your VIN and current odometer reading; I'll investigate your VIN and see if any recall is attached.

Kwasi

Hi, Just received a notification of a PM from this forum on this issue.... the link provided in that email failed, but I have finally located the message and responded. I have forwarded our VIN number and mileage at time of failure (133K kilometers/83K miles) to Mathieu (Ford Service). Current mileage on vehicle is approximately 152,000 kilometers (94K miles) and we have had no problems since the engine rebuild. Still love this vehicle.

I will keep the forum posted on this issue.

Just a recap.... 2010 Ford Edge Limited AWD with Class 2 Tow package

March 7, 2015
- Purchased the vehicle from the original dealership where original owner had bought it new (we have a copy of the original invoice-price $41,000) and subsequently traded it in. It was in immaculate condition and had an excellent provenance.

January 20, 2016 - Only 133,000 km (83K miles) on the vehicle. Sudden engine overheating, etc as described in earlier posts. Diagnosis from dealership...we need to replace the engine.

January 28, 2016 - Dealership still quoting $8850 for new engine OR $3275 to replace only water pump and take our chances on the engine. We find Aerohill Engine Rebuilders and do our research... highly respected, excellent reputation. Their quote to rebuild the engine seems like the better option.

January 29, 2016 - Ford Dealership finally comes back with a more reasonable offer (see item a below) which we might have taken had we not already researched Aerohill. .

NOTE: quotes are in Canadian dollars which make translate into fewer U.S. dollars when converted using current exchange rate.... but remember, the price feels just the same to us because we are also paid in Canadian dollars...so Cdn/U.S. exchange rates are really irrelevant when looking at an issue like this one.

a) Ford Dealership: $5,382 Canadian Dollars - After much back and forth with the dealership and a conversation with Ford Canada that offered so resolution at all, the dealership finally came through with their final best offer.... Replace engine with a used engine having 87K on it and install a NEW water pump, 1 year limited warranty, $4,873 ($5382 after tax) – plus they will provide a service vehicle until you get the car back.

b) Aerohill Engine Rebuilders: $6,215 Canadian Dollars - Total engine rebuild + new water pump - $5500 + tax = $6215. Their written confirmation of this quote was as follows:
TO remove, rebuild and reinstall your 3.5L engine will cost $5500.00 + HST including a new water pump. This comes with a 1 year unlimited KM warranty on parts and labor. The quoted price is firm and will not go up unless there are incidental items such as worn motor mounts, radiator hoses, defective cooling fan etc. Since we are going in with the understanding that we will be completely rebuilding the entire long block and long block will be receiving all new internal components. So it is expected that the price will not change as there is no real chance for variance.

We use a mix of certain OEM specific and OEM equivalent components during the rebuilding process. It should be mentioned that we purchase the internal components from the same companies that Ford sources their internal parts from. Ford does not manufacture their own gaskets and pistons, they source it from companies such as Mahle and Federal-Mogul. One of which is currently the largest piston manufacturer in the world and the other is listed on the NASDAQ.​

I think you can see why we went with Aerohill. What they did not include in their written quote is the fact that they also included a follow-up (no charge) complete oil change and inspection at ?? weeks/kilometers (I forget now how many).... and we have been as happy as clams ever since. Can't recommend them highly enough.

We are still bitter about the big hit to our pocket book, but are very happy with our decision to keep the vehicle and to get the engine rebuilt.... we are just paranoid now about keeping an eye on the level of coolant in the reservoir.

Interesting note.....Aerohill says the pump was probably leaking undetected into the engine for at least a week before the failure. There was some sludge in the oil pan, no evident heat damage to any components, we probably could have just replaced the water pump and taken our chances...but we needed to feel good about this car again so we don't regret our decision to rebuild.

Hi, Just received a notification of a PM from this forum on this issue.... the link provided in that email failed, but I have finally located the message and responded. .
I have found that many of existing links no longer work since the upgrade was done. This also applies to those found in previous posts.

Peter

I have found that many of existing links no longer work since the upgrade was done. This also applies to those found in previous posts.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I was finally able to figure out how to get his message after I logged in. And I think that I have successfully replied. But you are right.... the particular link that was sent to me is definitely not working and the problem does appear to be related to the upgrade.

you could just call a few local ford dealers and ask the parts person for the water pump and availability then ask how many do you usually sell. If they say 50 a month you have a big problem, if they say one a month I wouldn't worry yet. If you look at your coolant overflow bottle and its empty you also have a problem, or if you see the level going down everyday.

You say certified pre-owned. So where is your warranty.

Certified Pre-owned means 12-month comprehensive/12,000 miles from the time you purchase plus powertrain for 7 years, 100,000 miles.

Water pump is covered under powertrain warranty as listed on their website.

To be certified pre-owned it must be 5 model years or less than current and have less than 80,000 miles.

You meet the years requirement but I doubt the car you bought had 80,000 miles and went to 100,000 miles in 10 months.

Need to double check your paperwork.
- - - - - - -
Hello Peter (Note: I too am a Sheltie lover... lost our beloved Toby after 14 years... life will never be the same).

I should have responded to you some time ago.... but have only recently come back to the forum after being contacted by a Ford Service Rep because the follow up on this issue has been unfortunately quite high. The problem (as I predicted) has been grossly understated, hidden if you will because it was scattered across so many forums....and the pieces are only now beginning to fall into place.

To answer your comments: (Note: I am Canadian.... we work in kilometers... I have tried to convert to miles to make it consistent with other posters, but there are still some 'language' differences that affect the way you responded to my post

1) Certified: In Ontario Canada, every 'used' vehicle must be 'certified' as road worthy and there is a quite intensive check list that the mechanic must complete before it is signed off. So, when I said 'certified', it was as in "Ontario Certification'. Without this certification, the DMV will not allow the ownership to be changed over to the new owner.

2) Pre-owned.... I used this term to reflect the fact that I bought a 'used' vehicle... not brand new. When we search for used vehicles, we tend to use the word 'pre-owned' and even the dealership tabs on their web sites call it 'Pre-owned Inventory'... not 'used cars'. The form of 'Certified Pre-Owned' warranty that you mention is not even available in Canada as far as I know. I had never heard of it until I researched it due to your comments. So, when I said, "I bought this vehicle certified, pre-owned" it was in the context of a 'used car' that had been officially 'certified' as road worthy with no major problems.

3) Used Car Warranty: The standard very limited warranty on a used car in Ontario is something like 30 days. The Dealership had so much confidence in the provenance of this vehicle, they gave me a 'three month, bumper-to-bumper' warranty when I purchased the vehicle. I had so much confidence in the provenance and their confidence that I turned down their up-sale efforts for extended warranty. In retrospect, a mistake that I will not make again when buying a used vehicle.

4) Mileage: I don't know where you picked up your mileage figures..... we bought the vehicle with 80K miles (130,000 kilometers...remember, we are in Canada and we use the metric system...just like Europe). The water pump failed 10 months later at 88K miles (141,000 kilometers). Today, 15 months after we purchased the vehicle, it sits in our driveway with an odometer reading of 94.5K miles (152,000 kilometers).... we are STILL under 100,000 miles and have spent the money to rebuild the engine due to the water pump failure.

This failure is not the rare ocurrance some would have you believe. The numbers are starting to mount up. When they happen during the period that the car is 'under warranty', you don't see the owners posting on these forums. Their problems have been solved. Only FORD can provide those figures.

It is only when the problem happens outside the initial vehicle warranty that the owner's get this big shock, and not very many of those will go to the trouble that I did to extensively research the problem across multiple FORD forums, finding the same issue, often mislabeled or described in a way that it appears to be a different problem. I did my homework and posted my findings, and others are also doing the same and the threads are beginning to pull together into a pattern. Isn't it always like this? Isn't it always the consumer who has to bring the issue to the attention of the manufacturer and the public before the problem is recognized?

The final costs to us......(note.quoted costs are in Canadian dollars...but believe me, just read it as though they were U.S. dollars because the impact on the owner is exactly the same...remember, we get paid (and taxed) in Canadian dollars, and much of the time our currencies are pretty close in value.)

• - The Dealership originally quoted $8850 for new engine OR $3275 to replace only water pump and take our chances on the engine. We turned those options down.

• - After 10 days and much negotiation, the dealership offered their final quote: $5,382 to replace engine with a used engine (87K kilometers/ 54K miles on that engine), install a new water pump (rather than retaining the pump on the used engine), 1 year limited warranty on the engine and use of a service vehicle until we get the car back.

- Aerohill Engine Rebuilders quoted $6215 to entirely rebuild our engine and install new water pump with a 1 year unlimited warranty on parts & labour and free follow-up inspection/oil change after a few weeks of driving it. We could bring it back into the shop at any time during the warranty period with any concerns, etc and there would be no charge to inspect/evaluate and repair if their was a problem with the engine.

We chose to have the engine rebuilt by Aerohill and have been very happy with their service and the quality of their workmanship. This was not the first instance they had experienced with this engine... they are experts.

We love the Edge again, and have regained our confidence in this vehicle, but are still very wary of the water pump situation. Our budget has still not recovered from the unexpected expense. We still expect this to become a big issue for Ford in the future... WE ARE NOT ALONE.

This failure is not the rare ocurrance some would have you believe. The numbers are starting to mount up. When they happen during the period that the car is 'under warranty', you don't see the owners posting on these forums. Their problems have been solved. Only FORD can provide those figures.

It is only when the problem happens outside the initial vehicle warranty that the owner's get this big shock, and not very many of those will go to the trouble that I did to extensively research the problem across multiple FORD forums, finding the same issue, often mislabeled or described in a way that it appears to be a different problem. I did my homework and posted my findings, and others are also doing the same and the threads are beginning to pull together into a pattern. Isn't it always like this? Isn't it always the consumer who has to bring the issue to the attention of the manufacturer and the public before the problem is recognized?

I'm in agreement with your thoughts, it's a much more common occurrence than many would lead you to believe and it is often mislabeled as a repair (loss of coolant, overheating, cooling fan, seized engine, etc.). I'm very interested in the statistics of of this engine design associated with a failed water pump, regardless of how the repair is described, and hope that Ford will post them. After all this is the information age, it cannot be that difficult push a few buttons to come up with this data based on Ford dealerships alone and then make some assumptions regarding repairs elsewhere.

so now that theres a plan hatched to find out how many bad pumps are out there, whos going to execute it?

Hi. Thanks for your help in responding to Mathieu at Ford Service CA. Received a PM back from him as follows:

----- Response from Mathieu at Ford Canada -----
"Thanks for replying, I thought it was worth a shot. But in light of the mileage, there are no assistance program available to help with your water pump issue. I did see a an outstanding recall for the fuel tank. It is recall 15S31. I recommend getting your Edge to the dealer to have it addressed. I can document your vehicle feedback if you would like. Let me know!​

Thanks,
Mathieu
@FordServiceCA @FordCanada
---------------------------------------------------

Pretty much what I expected....but for a few minutes I had a glimmer of hope.

As for 'how to get the statistics?' - reserved50 suggested calling local dealerships, suppliers, etc to ask how many of these water pumps they sell. Calling individual dealers and suppliers might provide some indication, but not the full picture...and why would they help out by providing that information? It is unlikely that there is a central data point (other than perhaps the original manufacturer of the water pump) that could provide those statistics.

Also, the number of water pumps replaced does not necessarily reflect the severe problem (although the cost to replace a faulty water pump on this engine is unexpectedly high). The real number we need is "how many engine failures occur due to a faulty water pump?". I think the only source we will find for this information is the car owner's themselves. Ford and the dealers will not be interested in making that information public as it could affect sales and re-sales.

It would be great if some consumer advocate group would take an interest in making this issue more public so that we could get feedback from other vehicle owners who have experience this event. The internet and forums such as this one are great tools for getting some feedback, but the data tends to be too scattered across multiple forums and multiple threads.

I am renewing my searches and have already pulled together quite a few complaint drawn from multiple sites and other models. I will post what I find once I have a fair sampling.

Hi. Thanks for your help in responding to Mathieu at Ford Service CA. Received a PM back from him as follows:

----- Response from Mathieu at Ford Canada -----
"Thanks for replying, I thought it was worth a shot. But in light of the mileage, there are no assistance program available to help with your water pump issue. I did see a an outstanding recall for the fuel tank. It is recall 15S31. I recommend getting your Edge to the dealer to have it addressed. I can document your vehicle feedback if you would like. Let me know!​

Thanks,
Mathieu
@FordServiceCA @FordCanada
---------------------------------------------------

Pretty much what I expected....but for a few minutes I had a glimmer of hope.

As for 'how to get the statistics?' - reserved50 suggested calling local dealerships, suppliers, etc to ask how many of these water pumps they sell. Calling individual dealers and suppliers might provide some indication, but not the full picture...and why would they help out by providing that information? It is unlikely that there is a central data point (other than perhaps the original manufacturer of the water pump) that could provide those statistics.

Also, the number of water pumps replaced does not necessarily reflect the severe problem (although the cost to replace a faulty water pump on this engine is unexpectedly high). The real number we need is "how many engine failures occur due to a faulty water pump?". I think the only source we will find for this information is the car owner's themselves. Ford and the dealers will not be interested in making that information public as it could affect sales and re-sales.

It would be great if some consumer advocate group would take an interest in making this issue more public so that we could get feedback from other vehicle owners who have experience this event. The internet and forums such as this one are great tools for getting some feedback, but the data tends to be too scattered across multiple forums and multiple threads.

I am renewing my searches and have already pulled together quite a few complaint drawn from multiple sites and other models. I will post what I find once I have a fair sampling.

I respectfully disagree in regard to how get the statistics. More specifically there is no better source of these statistics than Ford itself. I’m sure they have the ability to somehow query certain repairs from all US and Canada dealerships, but as you’ve correctly stated this repair will fall into several different categories such as seized engine, loss of coolant, overheating, etc., but the source of the problem will be common throughout, failure of the water pump. In general, someone would have to understand the number of water pumps replaced in the Duratec 3.5 L engine, other issues caused by it could also be accumulated.

We also know that all water pumps replaced are not done at Ford dealerships, but this would not be difficult figure out by using something like a standard deviation, or some sort of statistical indices to make an assumption of how many water pumps were replaced at private auto repair shops and drape over all other repairs such as seized engines, etc. once that number is known.

I also have no doubt that Ford has been on a learning curve over the years choosing water pump manufactures due to cost and quality. I have no idea where they are currently made and manufactured, US, China, Mexico, etc., but would be interested in what they have learned over the years as to which ones are most reliable.

Also, I’m not sure I care about the early failure of water pumps vs how many fail before the 150,000 mile mark, because there is nothing stated in the maintenance manual about replacing this $30-$70 part before that mileage.

At the end of the day the statistical data will either show the design was correct, or that they are selling an engine that statistically fails without warning before 150,000 miles and brings in a lot of service revenue. A greater power would have to determine what failure statistics fall within or out of reason maybe based on past precedent.

The easiest way to put this issue to bed would be for Ford to make an unequivocal statement stating that less than X percent of all water pumps in the Duratec 3.5 L fail before 150,000 miles.

water pumps do fail and I know people at Ford dealers that have replaced quite a few as time goes on which is normal but a silly design due to the labor and damage it causes since coolant can get into the oil. If you catch it early on the Explorer like I mentioned you can have it replaced while still in the vehicle but the dealer says its easier to remove the engine. Its a water pump, not an oil pump (which lasts longer than the engine) so I would guess almost every one out there would have at least one water pump replaced during the life of the engine. Heres a video when someone did it in car,

The easiest way to put this issue to bed would be for Ford to make an unequivocal statement stating that less than X percent of all water pumps in the Duratec 3.5 L fail before 150,000 miles.

I strongly agree with that statement. But I doubt that they would actually put a number on it in case they were later proven to be wrong.

K_Redmond - "I strongly agree with that statement. But I doubt that they would actually put a number on it in case they were later proven to be wrong."

This should be very easy for them to do. For example let's say the water pump failure rate associated with all Duratec 3.5 L engines before 150,000 miles is 10%, all they have to do is double that to 20% and they are conservatively safe with their statement. If I was Ford and the water pump failure rate was low, I would jump on this and make a public statement.

They could even use a couple of states, like California and colder weather state with lots of autos like New York and that should give pretty good representation of what's going throughout the US and Canada with water pump failures in the Duratec 3.5 L engines.

They could even use a couple of states, like California and colder weather state with lots of autos like New York and that should give pretty good representation of what's going throughout the US and Canada with water pump failures in the Duratec 3.5 L engines.

Seems like we are not getting any traction in request of statistics for failed water pumps in the Duratec 3.5 L engines. Since there are numerous gauge displays to choose from and many different types of drivers, male, female, old, young, etc., how does someone detect the water pump failing?

Is there a warning sensor? Do you have to look under the hood at the coolant level before driving? Do you pull over when you see steam coming from the engine compartment? Do you take your car in for service when coolant is on the ground?

All good questions in an effort so that the next person does not get stranded or get into a situation where their engine ends up with catastrophic damage due to coolant leaking into the oil.

I look forward to reading the answers.

I asked around, and no one can give me the stats you guys are asking for :dunno:. But if anyone needs a hand, I can see if any resources are available to help. Simply send me a private message with your VIN, odometer reading, full name, phone number, and servicing dealer.

Thank you!

Mathieu

Seems like we are not getting any traction in request of statistics for failed water pumps in the Duratec 3.5 L engines. Since there are numerous gauge displays to choose from and many different types of drivers, male, female, old, young, etc., how does someone detect the water pump failing?

Is there a warning sensor? Do you have to look under the hood at the coolant level before driving? Do you pull over when you see steam coming from the engine compartment? Do you take your car in for service when coolant is on the ground?

All good questions in an effort so that the next person does not get stranded or get into a situation where their engine ends up with catastrophic damage due to coolant leaking into the oil.

I look forward to reading the answers.

Here is my thought process.

If you find coolant on the ground and you can see it coming from the weep hole it's time to change the pump.

If you find coolant on the ground and are unsure where it is coming from then rent a pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system and look for the leak point.

Here is my thought process.

If you find coolant on the ground and you can see it coming from the weep hole it's time to change the pump.

If you find coolant on the ground and are unsure where it is coming from then rent a pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system and look for the leak point.

I do not disagree with what you are saying, but really wanted to get Ford's opinion because I just don't see the mom with four kids or an elderly person noticing the coolant on the ground or low coolant in the overflow tank like others in this forum might. I do think this internal water pump is a design flaw that will take most of the vehicles with the Duratec 3.5L engine off of the road at around 150,000 miles or before. There should be a specific sensor that would let the owner know that the water pump is beginning to fail during the very early stages before the engine is damaged beyond repair. The problem here is that if Ford put out a TSB with an add on sensor specifically for the internal water pump, that would be admitting there is a design flaw.

is a design flaw, a very very bad one, also doesn't help they don't have a low coolant sensor in the coolant over flow I think? So you pretty much have no clue till your engine is toast. If they leaked on the outside it wouldn't be as bad, at least the engine over heat light would come on instead of chewing up the bearings etc..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without any data on the frequency of pump failure we simply do not know if this is a design issue or not. As previously stated there are literally millions of these engines on the road in many Ford & Lincoln models. We do know that there was a suggestion of a class action lawsuit but the law firm back out which leads me to believe they could not document enough failures. I think it is safe to say the frequency is very low.

Back