In Dash Android Carputer

LiKuiD

bahhhhhhhhh
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
Thought some of you would enjoy this. The factory 4x4 button dash mount has been a revolving door for random tech in my truck the past several years.

Started out with a TripMinder computer from a 88 Cougar that eventually crapped out, then ended up cutting a broken Android phone in half and mounting it in the spot for on the fly voice navigation and streaming music libraries. While this phone was great, I didn't like the way it looked in the space.

Enter the Posh Mobile Android phone! This little guy has a 2'' screen which is a perfect size for the factory bezel with the 4x4 buttons removed (mine are in the overhead console). I mounted a spring loaded button which allows to turn the phone on/off and it gets power over USB from my head unit when the car is on.

The unit can be completely voice controlled or use the touch screen, but both work equally as well. Provides GPS Navigation with Google Maps, weather, digital speed readout, streaming music and more. Fun rainy day project!

Old phone:

full&d=1466620754.jpg

New phone:

full&d=1466620754.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What app(s) are you running in order to get that display?

The app is called "Car Dashdroid"...it ties in nicely to everything else. Allows for Google Now hotword detection from the dash screen and can redirect into Google Play, Waze, etc.

LOL, when you said you "cut an old android phone in half" you weren't kidding!!

Nope! it was the only way to make it work, plus it had a physical keyboard on it so had to get crafty.

I think I might try and find a 2" screen GPS and do something similar. I like the clean look of that phone, like it was meant to be there.

Back