2013 Explorer XLT Engine Starting Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer XLT Engine Starting Issue

keyissue123

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 2013
I have had this 2013 Explorer since February 27, 2013 and continually have had starting problems with it. Thankfully I have auto start which at least gets me started. It seems like either key I use at times will not start the vehicle. When you go to start it lights come on but nothing happens with the starter. This seems to happen more during the hot weather.
Ford cant find the problem and whenever I bring vehicle in for service it doesnt happen except for once.
Real problem when you valet the car and they cant start it.

Again Ford has no indication what is wrong because it is intermittent. If I didnt have auto start I would have to call Tow trucks or sit until it does start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. :chug:

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011-2016 subforum where the right folks should see it.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with 50,000 miles that uses a key to start the vehicle. Recently there have been several times when the engine would not turn over when starting,just silence.Now the situation is worse and seems to be associated with the hot temperature of the hot summer sun in Florida. The vehicle starts in the morning perfectly fine. In the middle of the afternoon when it's very hot the engine won't even turn over, even when the engine is cold, just silence. All the accessories power up put the starter does not even engage. The battery checks out good and has good readings. Any advice as to the culprit here?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Don't really have a definite answer. Perhaps a faulty ignition switch? Usually even with an almost dead battery the starter will most times engage or you get a clicking sound.
Your thread has also been merged with this existing one.

Peter

I have had this 2013 Explorer since February 27, 2013 and continually have had starting problems with it. Thankfully I have auto start which at least gets me started. It seems like either key I use at times will not start the vehicle. When you go to start it lights come on but nothing happens with the starter. This seems to happen more during the hot weather.
Ford cant find the problem and whenever I bring vehicle in for service it doesnt happen except for once.
Real problem when you valet the car and they cant start it.

Again Ford has no indication what is wrong because it is intermittent. If I didnt have auto start I would have to call Tow trucks or sit until it does start.
Did you ever figure out what was the cause to your starting issues? I am having the exact same problem with my 2013 Explorer XLT except I don't have Auto Start.

You have a bad battery.

What do you mean by Auto-Start? Is it Remote Start you are referring to?

Did you ever figure out what was the cause to your starting issues? I am having the exact same problem with my 2013 Explorer XLT except I don't have Auto Start
There is something wrong with the ignition switch when it comes to hot weather. I live in Florida and when the car gets really hot inside it sometimes with not turn over. I ended up banging on the dash a couple times above the ignition switch and then it starts. I'm thinking there
is a electrical contact or something in the switch that gets stuck in the heat so by banging on the dash it frees the contact to work, I'm guessing.
This problem only occurs with very hot conditions with the windows up and really hot inside the vehicle.

There is something wrong with the ignition switch when it comes to hot weather. I live in Florida and when the car gets really hot inside it sometimes with not turn over. I ended up banging on the dash a couple times above the ignition switch and then it starts. I'm thinking there
is a electrical contact or something in the switch that gets stuck in the heat so by banging on the dash it frees the contact to work, I'm guessing.
This problem only occurs with very hot conditions with the windows up and really hot inside the vehicle.
So this has been going on for about 5 years and you never had the issue looked at?

Peter

Has anyone had this similar issue? I have a 2013 PIU that all the lights come on when the battery is hooked up. When the key is turned there is no crank. Just a relay click from what sounds like under the drivers dash. The vehicle was running fine until parked in the garage.

Has anyone had this similar issue? I have a 2013 PIU that all the lights come on when the battery is hooked up. When the key is turned there is no crank. Just a relay click from what sounds like under the drivers dash. The vehicle was running fine until parked in the garage.
Will it start with a boost?

Will it start with a boost?
It is a new battery but I have not tried with jumper cables connected to my running car. The battery has been on a maintainer the past few days and measured out at 12.47 volts when the problem first came up. I will try jumping it when I get back on Sunday from a hunting trip.

Back