• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor stud removal

06MountaineerPA

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer Premier
I having a hard getting the studs themselves loose. I'm able to the front bottom one loose. But the top front and bottom back won't budge. Nuts loosen up no problem. Any suggestions? I even tried vise grips on stud to turn it, but was nervous on ruining threads. I thought about putting some jb weld at the end, so when I run the nut down, it stops and gives my resistance to hopefully turn the stud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I having a hard getting the studs themselves loose. I'm able to the front bottom one loose. But the top front and bottom back won't budge. Nuts loosen up no problem. Any suggestions? I even tried vise grips on stud to turn it, but was nervous on ruining threads. I thought about putting some jb weld at the end, so when I run the nut down, it stops and gives my resistance to hopefully turn the stud.

Is the stud long enough to get two nuts on it ? If so you could use one as a jamnut against the other and try with a wrench.

When I pulled my v8 out, I tried to remove the compressor in the car and not discharge the system. No way....
It took me an hour of heating and banging with the engine out to remove the AC compressor and PS pump off. Somehow those long studs seize inside the aluminum body of the compressor. Heat it up and try twisting.

Which engine? My '05 4.0 had torx head studs if I recall. Took off nuts, then had to use a femail torx socket on the end of the stud.

Which engine? My '05 4.0 had torx head studs if I recall. Took off nuts, then had to use a femail torx socket on the end of the stud.

4.6l. Mine has the torx's head to. Won't budge with it and they started to strip.

I used air hammer against the casing of the compressor.

I haven't looked at my 4.6, are you sure there aren't nuts that need to come off first?

I said that the nuts come loose, not the studs.

Keep spraying and see if you can pry the AC away from the block. Do not twist them too much at the beginning. Hit the compressor few times with a hammer and work on it a little at a time.Keep spraying.

Hi. I'm currently having the same problem with my '06 Mountaineer. Did you ever resolve this issue and, if so, how? :)

Thanks.

Back