Dual climate control problem

dpnelson

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Anna VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

I have a 2011 Explorer with dual climate control, and I am having a problem with the driver side air getting stuck on cold, which is causing major problems with defrosting the windshield. I can see at least three actuators, one behind the glove box, and two on the driver's side. Any guidance from someone who has done this repair would be very much appreciated, as I'm not sure which actuator does what, and one of them looks very difficult to access.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one your looking for is the LH Blend door actuator. There are a total of 4 actuators on the HVAC box.

The one is the bottom of the two on the drivers side. Look under the dash to the right of your gas pedals toward the center of the dash. The bottom one should have XXXX-19E616-XX written on it.

All actuators are the same, so you can troubleshoot by swapping them. You can swap RH and LH. RH is in the same spot but on the right side of the center of the dash.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the reply, this is very helpful. Hopefully I won't ever have to change the one on top, it looks like a bear to get to.

Let us know what your results were.

I remember the old blend door actuator on the 1995-2001 Explorers (same as Rangers). That was a bear if you had fat hands.

FYI there is a TSB for the 5th gen Ex blend door actuators not working.

Thanks

FYI there is a TSB for the 5th gen Ex blend door actuators not working.

Thanks for the information about the TSB. Looks like you would need access to a WSM for the TSB's to be much help. Any recommendation for access to the manual? I bought the WSM for my 2010 F150, but I have not seen any for the 2011+ Explorers.

The one your looking for is the LH Blend door actuator. There are a total of 4 actuators on the HVAC box.

The one is the bottom of the two on the drivers side. Look under the dash to the right of your gas pedals toward the center of the dash. The bottom one should have XXXX-19E616-XX written on it.

All actuators are the same, so you can troubleshoot by swapping them. You can swap RH and LH. RH is in the same spot but on the right side of the center of the dash.
Thanks again for the information. I switched out the lower driver side motor, and this did the trick. The only snag was trying to line up the new drive shaft pattern to the slots on the opening. I'm sure there is a better trick, but I removed the drive gear from the old motor and used this to move the flap to the position that matched my motor.

Good to hear

My A/C/heat is screwed up.

Yesterday, I turned on the heat for the car. The driver side blew cold and the passenger side blew hot like it was supposed to. Dual was not on. I had both sides on high. I had this problem during warranty but the dealer said they couldn't reproduce the issue. It went away but now it's back. The huge issue is that my defrost does not work... It's blowing cold air on the windshield and it's making fog so I can't see. It's very dangerous. Problem number 21 on my car. Hopefully a PTU failure won't be my 22.

Does anyone know of the cause and how I can fix this mess?

Yesterday, I turned on the heat for the car. The driver side blew cold and the passenger side blew hot like it was supposed to. Dual was not on. I had both sides on high. I had this problem during warranty but the dealer said they couldn't reproduce the issue. It went away but now it's back. The huge issue is that my defrost does not work... It's blowing cold air on the windshield and it's making fog so I can't see. It's very dangerous. Problem number 21 on my car. Hopefully a PTU failure won't be my 22.

Hello 1995E,

Please PM your VIN and mileage. I’ll look into available options to assist! :)

Tricia

If your defrost is fogging up the windshield I would guess that the A/C isn't working.
Even though you say it is normal, it doesn't sound normal to me that one side should be blowing cold air and the other hot air especially with the "Dual" control set to OFF. That sounds like a "Blend Door Actuator' problem for which there is a TSB. Check out post 1 in this thread about the defrosting part.

Peter

passenger side blowing only cold i

I am also having this problem - wondering how it was resolved.

there were no noises or grinding as mentioned in other posts, just all of a sudden the heat does work on the passenger side so I have no defrost on the passenger side - correction - heat does not work on passenger

thanks

I am also having this problem - wondering how it was resolved.

there were no noises or grinding as mentioned in other posts, just all of a sudden the heat does work on the passenger side so I have no defrost on the passenger side - correction - heat does not work on passenger

thanks
See post 11. Then check out the 2011+ Explorer TSB's, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204 and look for the TSB 12-1-8

Peter

Sorry to revive such an old thread, I'm experiencing an issue where only the passenger side of the windshield won't defog or is at least much much slower 10-30 mins longer to defog than the drivers side which almost always is basically instant. My Explorer is a 2013 When I hold my hand above the vent it appears to be blowing hot/warm/cold as it should based on my temp settings but, that side just won't defrost/defog. All other functions work fine. I can change the temps and vents and that air blows just as it should in all other scenarios. It's a minor inconvenience right now as its mostly warm but as winter comes I'm not going to be ok dealing with this long term... If needed I can share a pic I snapped the other day of the windshield half defogged... The one positive is that it happens every single time. So if you guys agree that this is an issue of the blend door actuator I can start down that path to a resolution but since only the defog is experiencing unsatisfactory results this may not apply...

Thanks!

With the cool temps in our area the last few days the heat should be coming on but I am getting heat on drivers side and AC on the passenger side. It doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't get it to work.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2013 XLT 90,000 Km's

Thanks

Sounds like a blend door to me. Mine had ac on drivers side and warm air like outside air on passenger side.

Sounds like a blend door to me. Mine had ac on drivers side and warm air like outside air on passenger side.
Blend door motor it was. $48 part, $421 total cost. Thanks for the input.

I'm having a similar issue as many in this post on my 2013 XSport. Driver side blows hot, passenger cold (when set to heat). Also, the passenger side does not defrost very well.

Any suggestions on which blend door to check/change first based on my symptoms?

Thanks!

I'm having a similar issue as many in this post on my 2013 XSport. Driver side blows hot, passenger cold (when set to heat). Also, the passenger side does not defrost very well.

Any suggestions on which blend door to check/change first based on my symptoms?

Thanks!
Mine was doing the exact same thing. Invoice from dealer says "Electrical Diag. Code for right blend door motor. Remove and replace blend door motor. Parts used were YH-1779 Motor Asy N03 and DB5Z-5806056-A Pin-Hing Z00
Hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was doing the exact same thing. Invoice from dealer says "Electrical Diag. Code for right blend door motor. Remove and replace blend door motor. Parts used were YH-1779 Motor Asy N03 and DB5Z-5806056-A Pin-Hing Z00
Hope this helps.

Thanks, Iceracer! Looks like I can get parts at Rock Auto for less than $20. That pin appears to be the strap retainer for the glove box.

I also found this video on YouTube. I almost got motion sickness watching it, but replacement looks fairly straight forward.

Thanks again. :)

Back