2013 LTD Keyless Remote Doesn't Lock Doors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 LTD Keyless Remote Doesn't Lock Doors

Pinoy168

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi!

Both keyless remotes can't lock the doors for some reason. No problem with unlocking the doors or opening the tailgate, though. Likewise no problem with the buttons inside the door or with the keypad on the driver's side door.

I searched the forums and couldn't find any thread that has exactly the same issue. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you ever changed the remote's battery. If not, and regardless that the unlock works, changing the battery in one of the remotes is the least expensive thing to try first.
If that doesn't work then at least the battery has been eliminated from the possible issues.
You may want to edit the year of your Explorer. The 21013 models aren't out yet,;)

Peter

Thanks for the input, Peter. But I replaced the batteries on both remotes about a year ago. And the unlock works very well even from distance. So I'm pretty sure it isn't the battery.

Without further input from the community, my only recourse would be to replace both remotes. Now has anyone shelled out good money to replace both keys inside 4 years?

Will appreciate your comments.

Thanks for the input, Peter. But I replaced the batteries on both remotes about a year ago. And the unlock works very well even from distance. So I'm pretty sure it isn't the battery.

Without further input from the community, my only recourse would be to replace both remotes. Now has anyone shelled out good money to replace both keys inside 4 years?

Will appreciate your comments.
It would be a strange coincidence that both remotes would stop working at the same time and with the identical problem.

Looks like no one has experienced this problem. But like Peter observed, it would be a strange coincidence for both to have identical problems simultaneously. Would it then be reasonable to ask dealer to replace the remotes under some form of warranty?

Appreciate any advise or comments. Thank you.

Looks like no one has experienced this problem. But like Peter observed, it would be a strange coincidence for both to have identical problems simultaneously. Would it then be reasonable to ask dealer to replace the remotes under some form of warranty?

Do you by chance have anything plugged into any of the outlets like a charger or other electrical item? There have been posts about certain things interfering with the fob. Being you have a Limited I'm guessing you have the door handles with the touch to lock button on them. Do they work to lock the doors? That is all I ever use. I don't think I've used the fob to lock/unlock more than once or twice.

Peter

I did when I plugged mu Dash - cam into the consul lighter socket. Stays hot but cant lock doors.

Do you by chance have anything plugged into any of the outlets like a charger or other electrical item? There have been posts about certain things interfering with the fob. Being you have a Limited I'm guessing you have the door handles with the touch to lock button on them. Do they work to lock the doors? That is all I ever use. I don't think I've used the fob to lock/unlock more than once or twice.

Peter

No, I don't have anything plugged on a permanent basis, except for the occasional iPhone I charge or play music from.
With the Limited you can touch the front door handles to unlock, but not to lock. Since the remotes aren't locking, I use the door pad combination instead (by simultaneously pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons).

Perhaps what worries me more is that the Explorer seems to unlock on its own. One time I noticed the park and cabin lights go on as if someone unlocked it remotely. This was a few hours after I had parked and locked it using the door pad. When I checked, it was indeed unlocked. But since I had the key on me, I wasn't sure if I triggered it. No alarm went off either.

I'll try approaching the vehicle without the key once I notice this again.

No, I don't have anything plugged on a permanent basis, except for the occasional iPhone I charge or play music from.
With the Limited you can touch the front door handles to unlock, but not to lock. Since the remotes aren't locking, I use the door pad combination instead (by simultaneously pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons).

Perhaps what worries me more is that the Explorer seems to unlock on its own. One time I noticed the park and cabin lights go on as if someone unlocked it remotely. This was a few hours after I had parked and locked it using the door pad. When I checked, it was indeed unlocked. But since I had the key on me, I wasn't sure if I triggered it. No alarm went off either.

I'll try approaching the vehicle without the key once I notice this again.
You should be able to lock the doors by pressing on that black rectangle on the handle. Just make sure that is all you are touching. My 2011 Limited did it as does my current vehicle. It's all I use to lock the doors.
From page 74 of your Owner's Manual;
Press and hold the door handle lock sensor to lock your vehicle. To avoid unlocking the door inadvertently, be sure to only touch the lock sensor and not other areas of the door handle. There is an illustration there as well.
BTW your profile still show you have a 21013 Explorer.;)

Peter

Back