Brand new 17 Explorer shakes so bad makes us sick, | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brand new 17 Explorer shakes so bad makes us sick,

I don't think rebalancing will fix flat spots, Mercedes never get flat spots!!. Why are we getting a play by play of what the dealer is doing, when I get my car worked on I don't come on a forum to tell about an oil change they forgot to tighten a drain plug and now my driveway has an oil stain on it. If the dealer cant solve it, escalate it to the Manager then call Ford directly since its under warranty, I would understand if you don't want to bring it to a dealer since you did not want to pay out of your pocket and are asking for help on here to resolve your issue.
Go to the dealers Google or Yelp review page and please copy and paste your first post there, you will get better help there from the dealer if you need to vent.

When someone takes out the time to read this and make a post like yours it makes me sad for you. What if this helps someone down the road who has the same problem?

There are a thousand posts on here with people giving a play by play on what the dealer says and does.

I know that the throttle body issue was solved by people making posts losing their minds over the truck stalling out.

Go outside and get some fresh air from the basement please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think rebalancing will fix flat spots, Mercedes never get flat spots!!. Why are we getting a play by play of what the dealer is doing, when I get my car worked on I don't come on a forum to tell about an oil change they forgot to tighten a drain plug and now my driveway has an oil stain on it. If the dealer cant solve it, escalate it to the Manager then call Ford directly since its under warranty, I would understand if you don't want to bring it to a dealer since you did not want to pay out of your pocket and are asking for help on here to resolve your issue.
Go to the dealers Google or Yelp review page and please copy and paste your first post there, you will get better help there from the dealer if you need to vent.

That's YOU. Like he said what if this problem comes up again and someone finds this thread? We are all here to HELP each other out with issues that may pop up. This isn't comparable to an oil spot on the driveway....

OP My Tires on my Ex Sport flat spot in the winter and since i moved and have no garage..if i get on the highway right away from sitting over night..my car vibrates and shimmys for a bit until it evens out.

I have a life, I don't sweat out simple issues over the internet because I'm that bored like yourself. First let the dealer handle it, having a stroke over every issue you are going to have isn't worth the effort if you bought a lemon. Have you called your attorney yet as previously stated because I cant bear to read another post of yours if this is what the forum has become. Like I said, before anyone has a panic attack see if the dealer can resolve it then post the results.

When someone takes out the time to read this and make a post like yours it makes me sad for you. What if this helps someone down the road who has the same problem?

There are a thousand posts on here with people giving a play by play on what the dealer says and does.

I know that the throttle body issue was solved by people making posts losing their minds over the truck stalling out.

The throttle body problem was not solved because of people posting about it on here. lol

The throttle body problem was not solved because of people posting about it on here. lol

True, however, if someone was searching the internets for the symptoms of the throttle body issue, they could find that thread and "suggest" things for the dealer to look at.

Same goes for this topic. If 17sportny gets this resolved and posts back, someone who may have similar issues may stumble on this thread and be able fix their issue with much less effort(and runaround).

Hi Deysha,

I appreciate the response. I will escalate this after giving them the opportunity to balance the tires and let us test drive it.

Even though this hasn't been as accommodating as we would like, the salespeople were still very nice and the nice tech I spoke to and told me the truth (not some spin) made us feel more comfortable.
Great, 17sportny! Keep me posted.

Deysha

Absolutely missed the point and not going to go over it again. THE DEALER DID NOT GIVE UP, they may have treated the person as being simple by giving them silly explanations as to why it happened and the original poster of this thread was too afraid to call them out on it in person and took out their frustrations here. If everyone here had a freak out anytime a vehicle needed work and posted about it this site would be full of gibberish with people crying wolf. I have been to a few of those Mustang sites which I'm not too proud of but the guys over there are a little different.

True, however, if someone was searching the internets for the symptoms of the throttle body issue, they could find that thread and "suggest" things for the dealer to look at.

Same goes for this topic. If 17sportny gets this resolved and posts back, someone who may have similar issues may stumble on this thread and be able fix their issue with much less effort(and runaround).

If someone's vehicle falls flat on its face, a normal person IMO calls Ford Roadside and has it towed to a dealer. Their CEL is on when it craps out.. the dealer will scan, see it is the ETB and replace it.

IMO, a normal person doesn't jump onto the net with something so majorly wrong in their eyes, join a forum and complain how much of a POS their vehicle is and is essentially demanding a refund because God knows it wouldn't be right to even look at what is wrong and see if it is a simple fix or not.

When one posts ridiculous posts about ridiculous demands, don't expect to read everyone being on their side.

Come on now...

If someone's vehicle falls flat on its face, a normal person IMO calls Ford Roadside and has it towed to a dealer. Their CEL is on when it craps out.. the dealer will scan, see it is the ETB and replace it.

IMO, a normal person doesn't jump onto the net with something so majorly wrong in their eyes, join a forum and complain how much of a POS their vehicle is and is essentially demanding a refund because God knows it wouldn't be right to even look at what is wrong and see if it is a simple fix or not.

When one posts ridiculous posts about ridiculous demands, don't expect to read everyone being on their side.

Come on now...

Seconded!

Come on now...

My point was that, yes, the OP "freaked out" in the original post, was "chastised" for it, was provided some real feedback and brought it to the dealer. Not sure about you, but I'm well past the "freak out " post and interested in the outcome.

Any "normal person" would read all the posts before posting some worthless response (that's not directed at you).

OP, any update?

My point was that, yes, the OP "freaked out" in the original post, was "chastised" for it, was provided some real feedback and brought it to the dealer. Not sure about you, but I'm well past the "freak out " post and interested in the outcome.

Any "normal person" would read all the posts before posting some worthless response (that's not directed at you).

OP, any update?

Yes. I picked up the truck today. The smell is gone but the vibration was still there. I took it anyway to go to another dealer. On the way home I really paid attention to when it was happening.

It would get worse as I stayed at the same speed for a longer time.

I brought it to a local performance shop to have them test drive it. They knew what it was right away. They put it on the lift to watch what the wheels were doing.

The left front had a slight 'bump' as it went around. The right front was ok and the right rear was ok.

The left rear had a huge 'bump' as it went around. So bad the distance from the tire to the fender visibly changed. They had really bad flat spots.

I took the left side tires off and went to firestone. They were both balanced correctly but you could see the tires both had a flat spot.

They suggested I lower the psi to 18psi and drive them hard to get the temperature up to help get rid off the flat spot, then go to 44psi drive and repeat.

That got rid of almost all of the vibrations and shaking. We just have it at 35 to 40mph.

I guess the dealer can't see the flat spots on a road force balancer?

I called them back and he at least apologized and said they would replace the rim and tires from a new sport on the left side if I went back Monday.

What if I didn't have access to a lift and someone to actually listen to what we were saying.

2 bad tires made a brand new truck feel old and broken.

This will hopefully be resolved Monday.

So if anyone has a crazy vibration, watch the tires on a lift. If they bounce or bump, that could be it.

To anyone complaining about my post... the dealer ended up NOT resolving the issue. It took a speed shop owner to realize what the problem was. It took Firestone to give a great suggestion to see if it got better. And Ford was nice enough to reach out to me on here. I would have used that contact today if not for the shop that helped me out.

If you bought a brand new vehicle and it wouldn't upset you when the dealer doesn't offer you a loaner when you leave the lot with a problem and makes you work to get the vehicle fixed, I need you as a customer to walk all over on.

Kind of abnormal for anyone to stand behind someone that's asking for help and puffing their chest well into the thread calling for attorneys at the snap of a finger for a simple warranty issue, I would have left it alone if the freakout was only in the first post but not so, some people sure should read carefully, I would call that venting and calling for attention rather than wanting a solution. Anyways this vibration was already mentioned as tire flat spotting (POST #40), can suprizingly happen to Mercedes kias etc. Its also been covered several times if the search feature was used, this thread is a total failure including a few people in it and the Ford Dealer.

Yes. I picked up the truck today. The smell is gone but the vibration was still there. I took it anyway to go to another dealer. On the way home I really paid attention to when it was happening.

I brought it to a local performance shop to have them test drive it. They knew what it was right away. They put it on the lift to watch what the wheels were doing.

The left front had a slight 'bump' as it went around. The right front was ok and the right rear was ok.

The left rear had a huge 'bump' as it went around. So bad the distance from the tire to the fender visibly changed. They had really bad flat spots.

I took the left side tires off and went to firestone. They were both balanced correctly but you could see the tires both had a flat spot.

They suggested I lower the psi to 18psi and drive them hard to get the temperature up to help get rid off the flat spot, then go to 44psi drive and repeat.

That got rid of almost all of the vibrations and shaking. We just have it at 35 to 40mph.

I called them back and he at least apologized and said they would replace the rim and tires from a new sport on the left side if I went back Monday.

What if I didn't have access to a lift and someone to actually listen to what we were saying.

So if anyone has a crazy vibration, watch the tires on a lift. If they bounce or bump, that could be it.

So what it seems you have is a vehicle that is perfectly fine with 2 bad tires. I guess that $50,810 vehicle isn't quite the piece of junk you originally thought.

The plastic bag (whether true or not) is a good answer for the smell. I have also seen stickers do the same thing if not removed.

Now I will say that your dealer is incompetent and I would not be going back to them. If they can duplicate it but still send you on your way without finding such an obvious issue as flat spots... well... I have no words for them.

As far as a loaner, I agree, they should have ate it and paid for one for you. That was the least they should of done on a 2 day old vehicle.

Amazing how the whole problem was flat spots as mentioned but you had to go off on your post post about it being junk, wanting a refund, not wanting it "fixed" on a brand new vehicle, getting an attorney etc etc. I hope you can see that it wasn't us chastising you as someone said but looking at the big picture objectively on a situation and being what I would say is "reasonable".

Ps - yes the dealer didn't resolve the issue BUT our issue was your first post which was before the dealer looked at it (which you didn't even want them to, you wanted another vehicle or a full refund).

Good luck and hopefully your attitude towards your ex changes and you can begin to enjoy it.

I hope this forum remains focussed on service, rather than debating how someone reacts to owership problems. Its in the OP's full right to be upset. Maybe its not everyones style how he communicates, but that is a freedom a customer has.

Thanks for the update. I've never heard of street tires permanently flat spottting, especially to the point of being able to visually see it. Even with my car and motorcycle that sit in the same spot for ~5 months have some barely noticeable flat spotting for the first few miles, but clears up pretty quick. Wonder if the 2 tires had low tire pressure when it was sitting on the lot.

happens all the time. When you ship them on a train or car transporter cinched so tight its twisting the chassis, in extreme hot or cold the tires will flat spot where they sit, that's why they ship them with max psi to prevent this. Its a 2017, it would have had to sit for months with flat tires to have this happen

My 2016 had a label around the center pipe of exhaust. Burn smell. Putty knife and emery cloth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New 2017 Explorer sport here. picked it up on Saturday. I have burn smell as well but what ever is causing it seems to be "burning off" and smell is subsiding. Drives OK, no vibrations. I guess I will climb under to check for labels on exhaust. Dealer could not even set tire pressure correctly..

Back