• Register Today It's free!

Shaking/ vibration when braking

hd94

Reaction score
City, State
dallas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, everyone I have a 2017 Ford Explorer xlt.
and about 3 weeks ago I started feeling a slight shaking / vibration coming from what feels like the front when I am braking from speeds above 50-55mph.
I don't feel it on my steering wheel, it feels like im driving on rocks when I brake mostly on the freeway. don't feel no shaking or vibrations while driving around the city.
has anyone had this issue? I removed the brake pads and checked the rotors and they seem fine, but I might replace them , just wanted to get an extra opinion before I do. don't want to spend money replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the wheel bearings for excessive play or roughness.

The shuddering you describe, especially at highway speeds is usually an indication of warped brake rotors. You don't mention your mileage but I might suggest either having the rotors professionally checked or just pony up for a brake job.

Good luck

Hello, everyone I have a 2017 Ford Explorer xlt.
and about 3 weeks ago I started feeling a slight shaking / vibration coming from what feels like the front when I am braking from speeds above 50-55mph.
I don't feel it on my steering wheel, it feels like im driving on rocks when I brake mostly on the freeway. don't feel no shaking or vibrations while driving around the city.
has anyone had this issue? I removed the brake pads and checked the rotors and they seem fine, but I might replace them , just wanted to get an extra opinion before I do. don't want to spend money replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.
My 2017 Ford Explorer has same issue. Have you resolved the issue?

My 2017 Ford Explorer has same issue. Have you resolved the issue?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on Aug. 29, 2021, so may no longer be following and did not post any follow-up results.
Have you checked the brake components? Since it only happens when braking, I think that would be a good place to start.

Peter

The shuddering you describe, especially at highway speeds is usually an indication of warped brake rotors. You don't mention your mileage but I might suggest either having the rotors professionally checked or just pony up for a brake job.

Good luck
It's actually usually just pad deposits that form over time from an incorrect bedding procedure. Rotors don't just warp under normal conditions. Check this thread Explorer braking shudder frustration Also just looking at the rotors and eyeballing them, without measuring lateral run-out is a waste of time, as sometimes it's impossible to see the pad deposits with the naked eye. OEM rotors have enough thickness to be fine after being turned once, which remove those depotis, and I trust those more than I do some knockoff on Rockauto.

Back