My car sways a lot and I hear clanging noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My car sways a lot and I hear clanging noise

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Then I saw this.... the sway bar link is completely off the strut. I need to commute so would it be bad if I kept driving on it until I got it fixed?

IMG_6723.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ball stud of the sway bar link pulled through. The EX links use a very inexpensive method to assemble the ball stud into the end of sway bar link housing. Had to replace both of mine before 35K on the vehicle. Replaced with Moog end links. It's not like if a ball joint or tie rod failed which would create unsafe driving conditions, but I still wouldn't drive it. The rod of the sway bar link could start flopping around causing additional damage. Based on the rust on the ball stud however it looks like this has been like this for a period of time. Sway bar links are pretty easy to replace if your somewhat handy.

Our 2011made a clunking noise, randomly, for about a week or so when turning left. Almost sounded/felt like the spring was under load, then released suddenly. you could hear and feel the clunk. It magically stopped and has never come back Just check the end links, they look fine. But I'll probably replace them when I replace the struts.

umm you need a new vehicle at this rate :D. Might be ok but if that link gets jammed somewhere while going over a large bump is where the problem is. If you cant bend it off the side that's still attached you might not want to drive it to find out. If its been making noises for weeks it might be ok to drive still, I'm sure if any damage was to be done, its been taken care of.

umm you need a new vehicle at this rate :D. Might be ok but if that link gets jammed somewhere while going over a large bump is where the problem is. If you cant bend it off the side that's still attached you might not want to drive it to find out. If its been making noises for weeks it might be ok to drive still, I'm sure if any damage was to be done, its been taken care of.

I managed to get it covered by the bodyshop that did work on my car when I snapped a control arm less than 2 years ago. They changed the sway bar but didn't change the link after the accident. I love my Explorer too much, I really don't want to replace it. I'll be one of those guys that will drive their car into the ground.

Back