What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I just put in the Huskys this week and am really pleased with them. They fit and look great, plus I dont have to worry about a little dirt or grass on my shoes.
Do you have a part number for the fronts? The driver's foot well design was changed slightly from the 2016 model but the Husky site shows the same part number for both even though the 2017 Liner was supposed to be modified. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

**** ME!!! Stupid, narrow ass driveway in downtown Minneapolis, MN!!!
IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

Oh NOO!

Probably needed a strong drink after that mistake.

Good news is that it's pretty cheap to have a good wheel repair place fix it up for you. They can sand and re-spray to fix the curb rash. I think I got quotes for $175 ish here in MD when I had my Infiniti.

You could probably sand and plasti-dip the area to minimize the eye sore until you get it professionally fixed.

Oh NOO!

Probably needed a strong drink after that mistake.

Good news is that it's pretty cheap to have a good wheel repair place fix it up for you. They can sand and re-spray to fix the curb rash. I think I got quotes for $175 ish here in MD when I had my Infiniti.

You could probably sand and plasti-dip the area to minimize the eye sore until you get it professionally fixed.

Yeah, man. I swore profanities up and down the garage for about 10 minutes LOL then got a stiff drink afterwards.

Feeling it for you over here. I've done that before.

Feeling it for you over here. I've done that before.

What really sucks is that I've had the wheels only for 2 weeks now. I've got some touch up satin paint for now and will get it buffed and re-polished when I'm back in Chicago next week.

I forgot you just put them on. Yeah... I would have been cursing right beside you. LOL

Sorry to see that. Those are beautiful rims!

We all have done it. Sometimes it's tough to gauge depth perception. I used to hit my wheels all the time at my bank's drive through teller.

Sorry to see that. Those are beautiful rims!

We all have done it. Sometimes it's tough to gauge depth perception. I used to hit my wheels all the time at my bank's drive through teller.

Yeah... it hurts. I just got some touch-up paint to cover it up. I've scheduled an appointment with Top Coverage in Elgin, IL a few weeks from now. They'll fix the wheels for $175 each wheel. Thanks for the tip @Fentress24. These were the guys who powder coated my stock rims.

What really sucks is that I've had the wheels only for 2 weeks now. I've got some touch up satin paint for now and will get it buffed and re-polished when I'm back in Chicago next week.
Three days after I got mine I took it down to show my father at the local federal courthouse (he's a sworn deputy marshal, court security officer after retiring from law enforcement.) I parked in a spot that had curb on one side and as close to the curb as possible so that if anyone chose to park right next to me (there were plenty of open spots, but people seem to like to park on top of me) I likely wouldn't get door dinged.

When I come out to leave somebody had parked over the line and well into my parking space (likely late for court) forcing me to pull out of my spot at a funny angle, curbing it. Thankfully the curbs were short and it didn't get into my wheels, but despite escaping damage I know how you feel. I was about to have a high speed come apart in a federal courthouse parking lot, haha.

Yeah... it hurts. I just got some touch-up paint to cover it up. I've scheduled an appointment with Top Coverage in Elgin, IL a few weeks from now. They'll fix the wheels for $175 each wheel. Thanks for the tip @Fentress24. These were the guys who powder coated my stock rims.

No problem! I've been there and I know how it feels. It made me feel a lot better after I called around and found out it wasn't too expensive to fix.

I had 2 piece Forgestar F14F wheels on my Infiniti G37 with a 4 inch lip in the rear. I ran a 275/30/20 tire on a 10.5" wide wheel in the rear. I had very little protection from curbs and potholes.

I am shocked that those meaty 295's didn't provide a little more wheel protection!

I already posted on another thread showing the wheel upgrade from yesterday, but wanted to share this pretty cool fire extinguisher mount I found on amazon. It's an adjustable rail that sits between the two drivers/passenger side seat rails and fits the extinguisher snugly under the seat. Doesn't seem to interfere with the leg room for the passenger (or driver if you choose to place it there) and seems quite secure in the event of a collision. It positions it within arms reach should the situation arise.

Wheels:
20170126_150057.jpg

20170126_153905_001.jpg

Fire extinguisher mount:

20170126_225659.jpg

20170126_225300.jpg

I finished cleaning all of the old Plasti-dip off the wheels, and installed the wheel skins. The only thing I don't like about them is that you can still see a little of the OEM silver around the edges.

IMG_20170127_141018.jpg
IMG_20170127_141028.jpg
IMG_20170127_141032.jpg

Still, for $90, I'll take it.

I also pulled the grill, finished removing the old Plasti-dip, and resprayed it with black and glossifier. I'll reinstall it tomorrow.

I already posted on another thread showing the wheel upgrade from yesterday, but wanted to share this pretty cool fire extinguisher mount I found on amazon. It's an adjustable rail that sits between the two drivers/passenger side seat rails and fits the extinguisher snugly under the seat. Doesn't seem to interfere with the leg room for the passenger (or driver if you choose to place it there) and seems quite secure in the event of a collision. It positions it within arms reach should the situation arise.

Fire extinguisher mount:

20170126_225659.jpg

20170126_225300.jpg

Do you have a link to the mount?

You can post directly from your computer and your phone (I guess) if you take out a $20 Elite membership and it will also get ride of the pop-ups. Otherwise you have to use a 3rd party site like Photobucket to link to. Only pictures posted using the "Upload a File" program are saved to the Forum's servers and you have to have the Elite membership to use that.

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back