2018 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the new front fascia, hoping for more details soon. Noticed on the Ford website that it has SYNC Connect available.

Those are nice updates to the front fascia, love the wheels but not a fan of the quad exhaust, I prefer the existing Sport look integrated into the rear fascia

The added tech is nice, love the 4G option

Yeah mixed on the 4 pipes as that makes it certainly more aftermarket vs OEM .. guess that's the look they were going for.
The foglights.... not sure I like the change IMHO

I kinda figured they would roll some of the platinum tech out to packages in lower trim models for the last hurrah. Not a fan of the new sport wheels (honestly not a fan of my sport wheels, but they are growing on me. prefer the current xlt appearance package wheels). Fog light changes looks to simply be a change for change sake, think I prefer the current bracket style.

Yeah the bracket style matches the LED "accent" aka should be DRL lighting...

Other than the fogs, the wheels and Acadia'esqe quad exhaust tips can be left out.

I don't like the wheels. Fog lights are "meh". I'm okay with the quad-tip exhaust, but I agree that it looks more aftermarket than OEM.

Don't mind the wheels but not really a fan of the exhaust setup. Seems the washer for the front camera is gone.

The new fogs don't look bad, but they make me think of a Hyundai Santa Fe's fogs. The wheels are horrible. I don't understand why they still don't offer all black wheels considering they put high gloss black on everything else with the sport??? The quad exhaust look very aftermarket like everyone else has mentioned.

I'm not a fan of the fog lights. It looks like they are moving from functional fog lights to a small LED strip which does not make sense to me since it's an SUV. I like the look of the design though.

I think they are moving back to a more bland styling look due to the fact that they need to distinguish styling for the up coming Aviator. Moving the "clean" look from the Explorer. However, I do kind of like the look since it mimics the design from the 2011 - 2015 which did not look bad at all.

I tried looking for more details but the website is way behind. They have one picture with the 2018 Ford Explorer listed and any link you click on leads to info about the 2017 Explorer.

I can't wait for the redesign. I hope it comes 2020 or sooner.

Looks like a new rear bumper protector that wraps over the lip?

Don't mind the wheels but not really a fan of the exhaust setup. Seems the washer for the front camera is gone.
Good oberservation about the front camera washer nozzle being deleted.
Looking more at the front, they also go rid of the lower honeycomb grill, which looks better IMHO.

Everyone is all over the road on what the 2018 automatic braking system will do:

CNET "autonomous emergency braking"

AutoBlog "collision warning with brake assist"

AutoGuide "collision warning with brake support"

MotorTrend "collision warning and emergency braking"

TheDrive "auto braking tech"

TheCarConnection "automatic emergency braking"

Current Ford website describing 2017 model:
"Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support
Available adaptive cruise control is a step beyond conventional cruise control. When its sensors detect traffic slowing, your vehicle also slows down. After traffic has cleared, your vehicle resumes the preset speed. Available forward collision warning with brake support will alert you if it senses a potential collision with the car in front of you. A heads-up display, which simulates brake lights, flashes on the windshield. If you don’t react in time, the brakes will pre-charge and increase brake-assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness."

QUESTIONS:
Will the 2018 start braking for me to avoiding a rear end collision???
Or, will it just warn me, wait for me to apply the brakes, and then assist/support my own braking?
How is this different from 2017?
Can someone explain the 2017 system in layman's terms and, speculate, how the 2018 system changes, if at all?

THANKS!

......Current Ford website describing 2017 model:
"Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support
Available adaptive cruise control is a step beyond conventional cruise control. When its sensors detect traffic slowing, your vehicle also slows down. After traffic has cleared, your vehicle resumes the preset speed. Available forward collision warning with brake support will alert you if it senses a potential collision with the car in front of you. A heads-up display, which simulates brake lights, flashes on the windshield. If you don’t react in time, the brakes will pre-charge and increase brake-assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness."

QUESTIONS:
Will the 2018 start braking for me to avoiding a rear end collision???
Or, will it just warn me, wait for me to apply the brakes, and then assist/support my own braking?
How is this different from 2017?
Can someone explain the 2017 system in layman's terms and, speculate, how the 2018 system changes, if at all?

THANKS!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The ain description you quoted pretty well sums it up as far as the 2017 goes. It only applies brakes when using the Adaptive Cruise Control and then only down to a certain speed at which time it is up to the driver to take over. Not sure what speed the ACC cuts off but it might be 12 mph.
Autonomous Emergency Braking would be new and according to what I've been able to find on the Internet, it would apply brakes in emergency situations. Nothing I read mentioned coming to a full stop.
Anything other than what you see in this thread at this point would be speculation as very little has been released on the 2018 which likely won't hit the showrooms until around the end of November.

Peter

Thanks! I was/am really hoping for truly "autonomous" braking. It doesn't need to go to zero, although that would be nice, but if I'm about to rear end someone I would like it to start the process of avoiding that, I can finish the task, as I'm sure my attention would be redirected once the car started the braking process.

Those are nice updates to the front fascia, love the wheels but not a fan of the quad exhaust, I prefer the existing Sport look integrated into the rear fascia

The added tech is nice, love the 4G option
I'm with you. I don't like the quad mufflers it show to much of the muffler rather than just the tail piece

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't look like any real form of autonomous braking will be on the 2018, from Ford's press release:

For 2018, Explorer also offers a newly available Safe and Smart Package that combines high-demand driver-assist features for a great value. The package includes:
  • Adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support uses radar to detect moving vehicles directly ahead, and changes cruising speed if necessary
  • Blind Spot Information System uses radar to trigger a warning when another motorist is in the driver’s blind spot
  • Cross-traffic alert uses radar to help alert drivers to oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space
  • Lane-keeping system automatically detects left- and right-hand road lane markings using front camera system. A vibration in the steering wheel alerts the driver if the vehicle begins to drift out of its lane. System can also provide steering torque to help guide the vehicle back into the lane if needed
  • Auto high-beams use windshield-mounted cameras to automatically switch between high-beam and low-beam settings when oncoming traffic is detected
  • Rain-sensing wipers

Back