Should I buy an explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy an explorer

PrinceJT3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi, I'm thinking about buying an Explorer between 2013 - 2016, but from what I've been reading online and in this forum, there are some problems that make the decision unclear.
There's the water leaks, Carbon monoxide leaks, poor headlights, and a few electrical glitches, and those sound kinda serious.
Never the less, if I can get some feedback from you guys about ownership and the problems you've had, then maybe that would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My recommendation if your budget has room, just go for 16. Has the updated front end and interior, LED headlights no matter what model you get, and it'll be newer. Plus the 16 adds the newer 2.3L engine which is something to consider if you are worried about the water pump as it's not an issue on the 2.3L.

Hi, I'm thinking about buying an Explorer between 2013 - 2016, but from what I've been reading online and in this forum, there are some problems that make the decision unclear.
There's the water leaks, Carbon monoxide leaks, poor headlights, and a few electrical glitches, and those sound kinda serious.
Never the less, if I can get some feedback from you guys about ownership and the problems you've had, then maybe that would help.
Welcome to the Forum Prince.:wave:
Your profile shows that you already have a 2014 XLT. Is that correct?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Prince.:wave:
Your profile shows that you already have a 2014 XLT. Is that correct?

Peter
Actually, no, but the forum asked for that info and that's more than likely the model and year i was considering.

My recommendation if your budget has room, just go for 16. Has the updated front end and interior, LED headlights no matter what model you get, and it'll be newer. Plus the 16 adds the newer 2.3L engine which is something to consider if you are worried about the water pump as it's not an issue on the 2.3L.
Thanks for the advice, I do really like the 2016 refresh.

Actually, no, but the forum asked for that info and that's more than likely the model and year i was considering.
In that case, I'd also recommend the 2016.

Peter

this is more of a complaints forum, not a, "I love this car" because forum. I would say its an average to above average vehicle related to mileage unless you remove european and dodge SUVs from the lineup

this is more of a complaints forum, not a, "I love this car" because forum. I would say its an average to above average vehicle related to mileage unless you remove european and dodge SUVs from the lineup
I understand that, and I guess what I should've said in my original post was considering all the complaints and problems owners have had, would you buy the explorer again, would you recommend it to someone else. See I currently have an 08 Toyota 4runner, but I'm looking for something newer and with a 3rd row, the Toyota Highlander is top of my list but I'm seeing if I should cross shop it with the explorer, because of all the nice features it has, or avoid it completely.

I really like my explorer. I would recommend it. It's a very nice SUV to drive, stylish, and loaded with nice features. Plus it has one of shorter physical length of the car yet offers one of the most leg space. I didn't want anything "too" big and I think the explorer does a good for a 3 row SUV while not looking too big.

I understand that, and I guess what I should've said in my original post was considering all the complaints and problems owners have had, would you buy the explorer again, would you recommend it to someone else. See I currently have an 08 Toyota 4runner, but I'm looking for something newer and with a 3rd row, the Toyota Highlander is top of my list but I'm seeing if I should cross shop it with the explorer, because of all the nice features it has, or avoid it completely.
After having had 3 leased Highlanders, I jumped to the 2011 Explorer because of the features that weren't available on the '09 Highlander Ltd. I still had 2.5 years left on the lease and a friend of mine took it over. I lease my vehicles and don't put a lot of mileage on them but definitely would not hesitate to get another. Looking ahead to the 2020 redesigned Explorer and possible the Lincoln Nautilis or Aviator.

Peter

After having had 3 leased Highlanders, I jumped to the 2011 Explorer because of the features that weren't available on the '09 Highlander Ltd. I still had 2.5 years left on the lease and a friend of mine took it over. I lease my vehicles and don't put a lot of mileage on them but definitely would not hesitate to get another. Looking ahead to the 2020 redesigned Explorer and possible the Lincoln Nautilis or Aviator.

Peter
Okay, that reasoning makes sense

I just picked up a heavily discounted new 2017 Explorer Limited on Saturday. MSRP was $47,755 and I got it for $32,210 out the door. It's fully loaded with Equipment Group 301A in White Platinum Metallic Tri Coat. The last Explorer I owned was a 2008 and this unit is light years from my old one. I can't give much advice on any issues but this one has been flawless since I picked it up. I researched the heck of the Explorers, as I've been in Ram pickups since 2010, and am very happy with my decision. I love the ride compared to my Ram, find the 3.5L NA engine to have plenty of scoot, and the safety features are #1 in my book....plus, the Explorer was cheaper to insure than the Ram. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you but that's my two cents.

I just picked up a heavily discounted new 2017 Explorer Limited on Saturday. MSRP was $47,755 and I got it for $32,210 out the door. It's fully loaded with Equipment Group 301A in White Platinum Metallic Tri Coat. The last Explorer I owned was a 2008 and this unit is light years from my old one. I can't give much advice on any issues but this one has been flawless since I picked it up. I researched the heck of the Explorers, as I've been in Ram pickups since 2010, and am very happy with my decision. I love the ride compared to my Ram, find the 3.5L NA engine to have plenty of scoot, and the safety features are #1 in my book....plus, the Explorer was cheaper to insure than the Ram. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you but that's my two cents.
Yeah, that's why I like the explorer too, because of it safety features.

I'm going to confess :confused:, this is about my 5th one, had a 2011 before the current one. As with any car, anything past 100K miles more problems will arise. In general they are getting more reliable as they redesign, the 1st gen , 92-95? was a disaster in every way.

2nd Explorer and Love them. I still look forward to the 20 Explorer and see what change will be made.

And a few other things, what is cost of ownership like? Any unreasonable/unexpected expenses?
And driving comfort, I've test drove a 2 before but for short periods, and the driver left foot rest seems oddly placed, does that bother anyone on long rides?
Visibility, this is by no means a small SUV, and the interior design of windows and pillars don't do much to help either, what's it like parking, pulling out of alleys and places like walls you cant see around?
Nighttime driving with OEM halogens, good or bad?

If you get a 2016, they have LED low beams and halogen high beams. The 2016 also has cameras front and back that can be set to 180 view. Can't recall if that is on all trim models. Some trims also have the self parking feature for parallel and perpendicular parking. The 'dead' pedal placement has had members post on it complaining about the position but nothing recently. I don't notice it or use it much myself. I use the Active Cruise Control a lot as well.

Peter

And a few other things, what is cost of ownership like? Any unreasonable/unexpected expenses?
And driving comfort, I've test drove a 2 before but for short periods, and the driver left foot rest seems oddly placed, does that bother anyone on long rides?
Visibility, this is by no means a small SUV, and the interior design of windows and pillars don't do much to help either, what's it like parking, pulling out of alleys and places like walls you cant see around?
Nighttime driving with OEM halogens, good or bad?

I've only had my explorer for a couple months now so I can't comment on the costs part. I haven't had any issues with the left foot rest but I will pay attention later when I drive home.

Visibility is rough for sure. But if you get all the safety features, it makes life soooo much better. Granted they're expensive add ons but I highly recommend it. As mentioned, low beams are LED and are fantastic. They're not projector headlights unfortunately but I don't think output or line cutoff suffers from it.

In that case, I'd also recommend the 2016.
Peter

Bad advice. Consumer Reports says the 2015 is much more reliable than the 2016. The 2015 is the most reliable of this generation. The 2016 is the least reliable since the 2012.

The 2016 also has cameras front and back that can be set to 180 view. Can't recall if that is on all trim models. Peter

The front camera is only on the Limited or higher.

No problems with my 2017 with 7k miles now. I have 3 coworkers with this generation Ex and they all told me they love it (well one of them didn't say "love" but he also didn't have any specific complaints other than the front visibility is not so good which I agree with).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad advice. Consumer Reports says the 2015 is much more reliable than the 2016. The 2015 is the most reliable of this generation. The 2016 is the least reliable since the 2012.

The front camera is only on the Limited or higher.

No problems with my 2017 with 7k miles now. I have 3 coworkers with this generation Ex and they all told me they love it (well one of them didn't say "love" but he also didn't have any specific complaints other than the front visibility is not so good which I agree with).

The consumer report rating is a good note to keep in mind. That's great to hear that you enjoy your explorer.

Back