Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A bit of additional info on the repair process:
1) Mine was fixed by working on the 2 big connectors under the drivers seat only, nothing in the center console, nothing in the door, and nothing in the kick panel.
2) Those connectors are a bit of pain to get to release the first time you have to do it. Use a flashlight to see what you are doing. The center-most connector will slide off of the plastic tab mounting it to the metal seat structure. The one closest to the center was easy enough to pull the mounting out of the seat. Note that the older the car the greater the chance you will break one of those mounting connectors and Ford will probably charge you $38 for the little piece of plastic. Snarky, but they charge $500+ for a backup camera...
3) The warning light will not go off immediately after the repair. Mine required at least 4 restarts so the previous post indicating 3 cold restarts is probably accurate.
4) When disconnecting the battest disconnect the negative terminal and tuck it away from the post.
5) SYNC will reboot when you reconnect the battery and it takes a while for it to sort itself out.
6) I saw what looked like a piece of brownish paper or leaf material on one of the pins after disassembly. Hard to imagine it getting there when I took it apart but also hard to imagine it arriving there during manufacture. Still, there was a problem, the brown thing is gone and the problem is gone.

Good luck, this is an EASY repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A bit of additional info on the repair process:
1) Mine was fixed by working on the 2 big connectors under the drivers seat only, nothing in the center console, nothing in the door, and nothing in the kick panel.
2) Those connectors are a bit of pain to get to release the first time you have to do it. Use a flashlight to see what you are doing. The center-most connector will slide off of the plastic tab mounting it to the metal seat structure. The one closest to the center was easy enough to pull the mounting out of the seat. Note that the older the car the greater the chance you will break one of those mounting connectors and Ford will probably charge you $38 for the little piece of plastic. Snarky, but they charge $500+ for a backup camera...
3) The warning light will not go off immediately after the repair. Mine required at least 4 restarts so the previous post indicating 3 cold restarts is probably accurate.
4) When disconnecting the battest disconnect the negative terminal and tuck it away from the post.
5) SYNC will reboot when you reconnect the battery and it takes a while for it to sort itself out.
6) I saw what looked like a piece of brownish paper or leaf material on one of the pins after disassembly. Hard to imagine it getting there when I took it apart but also hard to imagine it arriving there during manufacture. Still, there was a problem, the brown thing is gone and the problem is gone.

Good luck, this is an EASY repair.

Thanks RandyH2 - almost 3 months now and no air bag light.
On item 1) I did check those connectors on both sides, reconnected during the initial issue, but those connectors did not resolve the issue.
I can tell you that when I remove any of those multi-pin connectors I also cleaned them, and added dialectric grease to all of the pins.
I did not need to remove the center console as some did mention this in the forum, I took the path of least resistance, and since the console in the center is a "big Job" decided to go after the easier or more accessible options first. Sounds interesting on the brown leaf / paper - would be amazing to see the true history on what took place for this...
Still peed off about the paint blistering on the hood, but that's a separate issue :(

Good luck, and all the best.
thedutydoctor - in Maryland.

B1213 NOT THE PRETENSIONER !

CODE B1213 /must be harness issue / switched to drivers side ,no code there harness Wow seen all of the harness poorly wrapped laying on the floor pan.anyone ran into this ? with no continuity to the RCM module ?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

When searching that code on the Internet, several responses came back saying the code indicates that the minimum number of security keys are not programmed/missing.
Here are some of the results.
1. Ford: At some time since last clear the ignition has been switched on with less than 2 keys stored.
2. LESS THAN TWO KEYS PROGRAMMED TO THE PATS CONTROL (Passive Anti-Theft Systems (PATS), also called Ford Securilock, is a vehicle security feature introduced on 1996 and later Ford vehicles.)
3. B1213 Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Keys Is Below Minimum
Have you recently replaced the PCM (Powertrain Control Module)? http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT 78-0004.pdf

There is a B1213 code for another issue but it is not for the Explorer. http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=176679

Peter

That is wierd my truck has B1213 code and the airbag light is on ✅

B1212 is the drive side seat belt pretensioner / B1213 passenger pretensioner

When searching that code on the Internet, several responses came back saying the code indicates that the minimum number of security keys are not programmed/missing.
Here are some of the results.
1. Ford: At some time since last clear the ignition has been switched on with less than 2 keys stored.
2. LESS THAN TWO KEYS PROGRAMMED TO THE PATS CONTROL (Passive Anti-Theft Systems (PATS), also called Ford Securilock, is a vehicle security feature introduced on 1996 and later Ford vehicles.)
3. B1213 Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Keys Is Below Minimum
Have you recently replaced the PCM (Powertrain Control Module)? http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT 78-0004.pdf

There is a B1213 code for another issue but it is not for the Explorer. http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=176679

Peter
Thanks for the welcome

I’ve got a 2014 Explorer Limited that just had the front airbag light go on. Is this a common problem and is there a DIY reset?

Not really a DIY reset.
How many miles you have on your 2014? If you are under 60k miles, it should still be under the 5yr/60k mile warranty for restraint system.
I had the airbag light come on at about 59k miles and they fixed it under warranty.
It was something to do with one of the 2nd row seal belts.
Some people have mentioned a loose connector under the front seats, but did wiggle the wires around to see if I could get it to go off(no dice).

Not really a DIY reset.
How many miles you have on your 2014? If you are under 60k miles, it should still be under the 5yr/60k mile warranty for restraint system.
I had the airbag light come on at about 59k miles and they fixed it under warranty.
It was something to do with one of the 2nd row seal belts.
Some people have mentioned a loose connector under the front seats, but did wiggle the wires around to see if I could get it to go off(no dice).

I just bought the car and it has 67K miles so I'm out of luck with the warranty. I did see the info on the rear seat problem and found a service bulletin on how to install new connectors to fix it. I was out in the car this morning and the light is off, so who knows. I believe the light went on after I folded down the second row seats to see how that worked. I think I'll live with it for a while and see what happens. I found a Ford dealer online that sells the connectors which will allow me to make the upgrade if I choose to. Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. There is a handy 'Search' feature that can help find existing problem/posts. Not much hasn't been discussed here. One of the common problems seemed to be the connector under the driver's seat. Good luck.
BTW, see also this post; How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Peter

Anyone having issues with the airbag coming on. I’ve been to the dealer twice for the same problem and after I leave with it supposedly fixed it comes right back on!
2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Anyone having issues with the airbag coming on. I’ve been to the dealer twice for the same problem and after I leave with it supposedly fixed it comes right back on!
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Thanks Peter I found it after posting

2016 Explorer sport with 37k on it, got the same warning light on for the last few days. the only thing i can think of that might have triggered it is having my interior cleaned at the car wash and also reinstalling my car seats for the kids. im wondering if its a loose wire or something like others have said. I made an appointment at Westlake, OH Autonation Ford for Tuesday morning.

2016 Explorer sport with 37k on it, got the same warning light on for the last few days. the only thing i can think of that might have triggered it is having my interior cleaned at the car wash and also reinstalling my car seats for the kids. im wondering if its a loose wire or something like others have said. I made an appointment at Westlake, OH Autonation Ford for Tuesday morning.

Please let us know the results. Thanks.

Peter

i flipped up the two rear seats, and checked the wires coming out and pushed on the connectors on each seat. they didnt seem to be disconnected or anything but after i did that and turned the car back on my airbag light went away for now. I cancelled my appt and will see if it happens again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Four times at the dealer for this problem. I hope they got it this time

Back