Water Leak | Page 57 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My five year old was sitting in his car seat on the 3rd row and water was running down the seat belt. It occurred for the first time yesterday during a extremely heavy downpour. When I lifted the gate, I noticed that some seams or welds are broken(popped up). I called the dealerships about it and they told me it was $99 just to diagnose it. What does that mean it will cost? I really believe that this is a defect that FORD should fix at no charge to the consumer. I have no way of keeping this from occurring. Please if any of you have experienced this and know the best way to address this, please reach out. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:
Most water leaks that run down the 3rd row seat belt come from the area where the roof rack attaches to the roof. There are several post on that in this thread. Check the posts and you may also find some repair tips. Most dealers use a specialized water leak repair company to fix these issues. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So in a nutshell, they removed the spoiler and replaced some type of gaskets under there. Then the liftgate was fully removed in order to repair all of the cracks in corners and around the hinges. I’m not exactly sure what they used, but it’s some sort of repair material that they said would hold up. They charged me 100 bucks. Not bad. I am praying that all my water issues are fixed. Here are a few pics after the repair.

DA78BC4F-68EF-482D-A38D-F3B91F574EB1.jpeg

32BC2374-78D3-4431-9EFA-08BCF81E386F.jpeg

9C2EB613-F652-41B5-89A8-E1D939950A3E.jpeg

CD744AC8-7BD8-493D-98DC-9097FA6415DA.jpeg

Can we bring this back to life? I'm having issues accessing the driver side rear drain. I wanted to blow it out with air but I can't get to it. When I pour water in the tray it pours right down into the cabin. Tube cracked?

Can we bring this back to life? I'm having issues accessing the driver side rear drain. I wanted to blow it out with air but I can't get to it. When I pour water in the tray it pours right down into the cabin. Tube cracked?
I've never looked for the drain tubes so I'm not familiar with them or what they are made of but would using air be the best method of trying to clear a clogged drain? I'd be concerned that if it is clogged, adding air pressure to it may possible cause the tube to rupture if the clog doesn't budge. Of course this all depends on the material that tube is made of. :dunno:

Peter

Yeah I'm not sure what else I could do??? All the others seemed to clear fine. I pulled part of the liner and I could see it at the bottom just fine (it's made of a rubber), but I can't get to the top no way no how. It's like I may have to remove the curtain airbags to see where it connects to the tray.

I'm not sure but it's driving me crazy with this truck. Thought about trading in for one with a warranty more than once in the past couple of weeks.

I may well of ruptured the hose with the air.... I'm considering a whole new roof at this point :sawzall:

Is there any way or inserting a fine type of line in the bottom and seeing if you can push it upward?

Yeah I just verified that it's draining. But it's just seeping a little out the back. I pulled of a little bit of silicone looks like it was "Repaired" before. I'm going to put some of my own silicone on it.

My 2016 Explorer Limited ( no sun roof ) is leaking into the rear carpet / floor behind the third seat .
It has 14K miles .
I was checking the spare and found the matting under the spare was soaked as well as the carpeting on the drivers side in the rear behind the third row .
No visible dripping .
It's going in to the dealer on Thurs .
Anybody with a 2016 having similar problems ?
Yes, I have a 16 Platinum that just started leaking onto my nav screen. going to dealer this week.

Yes, I have a 16 Platinum that just started leaking onto my nav screen. going to dealer this week.
Welcome to the Forum Rich.:wave:
That is not a very common place for a leak. If I recall, I think there was only one other member in this thread with something similar. Water Leak
Is there any moisture in either front footwell?

Peter

So in a nutshell, they removed the spoiler and replaced some type of gaskets under there. Then the liftgate was fully removed in order to repair all of the cracks in corners and around the hinges. I’m not exactly sure what they used, but it’s some sort of repair material that they said would hold up. They charged me 100 bucks. Not bad. I am praying that all my water issues are fixed. Here are a few pics after the repair.

View attachment 160882

View attachment 160883

View attachment 160884

View attachment 160885

The first time I went to the dealer, they also slopped that sealant all over my rear hatch attempted to fix. It continued to leak into my vehicle with the next rain. My leak actually started from the roof rack with rusted bolts. Water runs down the same rails towards the rear hatch, which ruins those rubber seals. My leak presented from the right rear seatbelt assembly

View attachment 160882

View attachment 160883

View attachment 160884

View attachment 160885
That is some ugly repairs. You think they could have smoothed out the sealer since they were charging you.

most sealers are self leveling for a few minutes after applying, after that they start to hold shape. I doubt the repairs would even be noticeable if the pictures were taken from a few feet away, especially being in the hinge area. Got lucky since sealer comes in 3 colors usually and paint wasn't needed..

Just to share, I am having a water issue in my 2015 XLT Explorer, and now that I see the above diagram, it's directly in line with the right, read sunroof drain hose. I had wondered what that hose was, now I know. I have a very comprehensive extended warranty, so it should take care of this, less a $100 deductible.

I first noticed the wet carpet in the cargo and spare tire well back in September, took all my stuff out and let it dry out and thought it was a fluke. Found out yesterday that it was wet again, had not really checked since I put everything back. So I went on a search for possible leaks, fearing that it was from the antenna cable I have coming in through the tailgate, but the way I have it routed, it should not be getting into the vehicle. Then my son popped the storage compartment opened on the right, rear corner and everything in there was wet. So tonight, did some research and found a video that talked about it, then this thread that put it all together. Funny thing is, I had noticed that drain hose before and wondered what it was, never gave a thought that it could be the cause of the issue.

Just to share, I am having a water issue in my 2015 XLT Explorer, and now that I see the above diagram, it's directly in line with the right, read sunroof drain hose. I had wondered what that hose was, now I know. I have a very comprehensive extended warranty, so it should take care of this, less a $100 deductible.

I first noticed the wet carpet in the cargo and spare tire well back in September, took all my stuff out and let it dry out and thought it was a fluke. Found out yesterday that it was wet again, had not really checked since I put everything back. So I went on a search for possible leaks, fearing that it was from the antenna cable I have coming in through the tailgate, but the way I have it routed, it should not be getting into the vehicle. Then my son popped the storage compartment opened on the right, rear corner and everything in there was wet. So tonight, did some research and found a video that talked about it, then this thread that put it all together. Funny thing is, I had noticed that drain hose before and wondered what it was, never gave a thought that it could be the cause of the issue.

Most extended warranties if not all do not cover water leaks but good luck in the repair, hope it works out in your favor.

Welcome to the Forum nhphotogdotcom.:wave:
I'm not sure which warranty you have but as blwnsmoke mentioned, most do not cover water leaks. The Ford ESP does not. There are a some pictures in the last few pages that may be of interest. Good luck.

Peter

Fix for water leak

My roof hatch looked the same with the cracks, tried many different fixes, and even coated the roof rack bolts with silicone, but still had water enter the spare tire well. The water was coming from the rubber plug where the wiring for the power lift gate enters the back of the vehicle. Water ran down the 3rd row seat belt, to the spare tire cover/mats soaked into the spare tire wheel well. Put some silicone seal to covered the black rubber plug, and so far no water in the spare tire well.

Fix for water leak

My roof hatch looked the same with the cracks, tried many different fixes, and even coated the roof rack bolts with silicone, but still had water enter the spare tire well. The water was coming from the rubber plug where the wiring for the power lift gate enters the back of the vehicle. Water ran down the 3rd row seat belt, to the spare tire cover/mats soaked into the spare tire wheel well. Put some silicone seal to covered the black rubber plug, and so far no water in the spare tire well.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I have water leaking on the front passenger side by the glove compartment, but not in the glove compartment. Also come in from the top by the sunglass compartment. Had it to Ford for repairs, but condition still exist. Going back to Ford next week.

I have water leaking on the front passenger side by the glove compartment, but not in the glove compartment. Also come in from the top by the sunglass compartment. Had it to Ford for repairs, but condition still exist. Going back to Ford next week.
It could possibly be an issue with a moonroof drain tube although that usually results in water pooling in the footwell. There is a post here where a member had water leaking from the passenger 'grab handle'. Water Leak I have asked the member to provide an update if he has one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted to know if the Ford dealer will take care of the water leaking from the faulty welds on my 2012 explorer? Has anyone had this issue? What has been done? My car is starting to smell like mildew.
20181207_190258.jpg
20181207_190249.jpg
20181207_190318.jpg
20181207_190332.jpg

Back