• Register Today It's free!

diesel

mikencheese

Reaction score
City, State
greensboro NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
Hey, guys, I have a 94 Ford explorer and I was wondering if I can swap my engine with a diesel. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Anything is possible with enough time, skill and money. I would suggest doing a forum search (use the google search bar on top) for engine swaps and start there.

Yes you can, but if you're like me it will take forever.

it would need some rewiring and a beefed up suspension not to mention the fuel system. maybe get a f-250 diesel that is wrecked for parts.

Hey, guys, I have a 94 Ford explorer and I was wondering if I can swap my engine with a diesel. Thanks![/QUOT]
@mikencheese
Consider the cost of diesel equipment first. Way back in the '90s when Ford began using EFI to run diesels, my Ford Parts guy showed me an injector: Huge, a set of 8 was over $3000. imp

A Cummins BT4 will fit in there with enough work time and $$$$
there are several rangers running around with the BT4 in them
Also Cummins now makes a 2.8L repower package that could be made to fit, but very much $$$
The early Ranger and BII were available with a Isuzu diesel 4 banger, I see those running around from time to time.
Diesel conversion is not only possible but it has been done many times.
I like the BT4 for these trucks, its a very good fit and power to weight ratio

I own 3ea 7.3 trucks, the 7.3 engine block itself weighs 900#.......forget about any sort of straight six (5.9 cummins) or v8 (powerstroke 7.3) that's just silly in a Gen I Explorer

A set of HEUI injectors for a 7.3 powerstroke is anywhere from $1000-5000 depending on what you get, I run Swamps injectors they are about $1800 for a set of 8 in a 7.3

so what is a bt4 in?
It came in select bread trucks and industrial equipment. The VT275 makes twice the power, fits the engine bay and has been swapped into a few rangers.

Back