Unknown Module and Antenna Connectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unknown Module and Antenna Connectors

edougawa

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited 4WD
I'm trying to figure out the stuffs for my 2013 PIU to do modifications.

Anyone has idea what's that little black box next to the wiring and the rear power access point. Is it the tail light control module or a police package module? I searched around the drawings but couldn't find any module installed at that location. Also there is no part number on it except a bar code.

And the red wire going up in the C pillar, is that the power for light bars? (Don't have plan to remove the roof to check it yet).

oVs0ywc5yXnuwWkGTvv4k7b_AAL2SirWU-pIsyHb8rl3oIcrnituO9jc5xMnXvy5Nky3xBzzCuz9-HlaYqvh53BIONyv4oYqCfaA6NZkQiU-S9v_Blx7kNkBCZm770gsskBOpNcQtcoBYAPEnzkNhYGgbxkyXhWK2nyqaO1mrQYIqmwFQi5OGSDJDHjSx59qNdGEjhf7fx9xlnX1C8WOPGLTV-7oony5lQN8BIS0Je8O34ZzN_VCxIwbhV8IVZB6TnZwwX6-WN9hdWkYTCWozrbjnGU75WyQr473PQv6tVQEbIZq9KIinVwCTZGekynHxA44yiZy95sG6uulNW_HwAoXLthgtJsMyw8TYkOlWKLLYvpiPOlEkCzz5bSMV5NUOo3WRBc77hVPw6xMHi3AYJmEXbNGPmTRpg_Yh0p0b6ApJly3CxsDmMAlkgz6ds0Vpr6YwNPDwKPjzQmDtQoumjkIjyiYbKVfXWkAWOOTneHU5p4vPkxY5VJyUzq9wEiqXF-_cI00wK2H6eV0pIuB8zx7YYR_1rDwPnFxjKIbjDFQ1L7qEW9sJXIfVumP9yWQ838m_PPDAqbqTT-OQTxJ224tCi4_hcdB5cq9cjU6GfO09Qic9yKnbeP268d39RdpRLoN39Eu6dQHQGJk0qSYv9mR=w1250-h937-no

And for the antenna connectors, just curious what each connector is and for. I'm thinking about reusing this connector to install antennas for my mobile hotspot and radio scanner. Is it possible?

qESUknzkOEtiOLX5koeVk78wXMqkAHENHOglT4cgQhjiyafeNTtsOokauN62FI_BMEKRLSKrgFgNDCTTqKNJ071TQjSSG6guFvOYrrGwBm9yi0sA0FoVXaAyY_GcKTEKTJ0WKLQD4idTlWlmXgxBR0bKgvJQ48d32HpqU7mQcGDV8WkAB6sGVk20s-hltgro5QyJ-vD7ByMHsdOCccYTbbxC4cwg5l3TfRcKI6Rv8wFBUGAyKY4Sbcvuuht0CqywXOVzkF_jCLtV9FBlghtojYIVsLe3yzX9LPbRN0yI-GqKGouoRbRVbnpTCyHZZ2hEusDMeLoRV6iMDyoZfMJLTKPcQBFAcpNpzMyqaeCkwA4mCPBi33JKbAZqhhqzZR4aG6FdKd10B7AswPWq44ywwJbL8sF_mwOEEJI58N5Vh7ia3T69SgoYJgyyhTuNqdtrsvHpaKb-j8Zr4hl81g43_3csbfHUps7spoatFzX3OMRifsVU4SJRp5-zcK5emWZobxs9gcvuDbhnC3Syv8gmUSN7RUxkVWIp6wudj1z3Egg6JL9nsxPMU_9IXwpQkhpcsCK_BOOn_Ktx6NI8nMlHZam0AJV3ACN-ncfmbbkItr3-8hbuyw6ke-O6u80SXXaTY15ZrIosKGJJEm1_YtwVFh4v=w703-h937-no

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wire going up the C pillar was probably not for the lightbars (or at least that is not how my department has theirs wired). It was probably for the equipment kept in the trunk (internet connection, GPS, radio systems, etc).

As for the black box.....could be anything including a part of the previously mentioned systems. Does it have any wires going into it?

The wire going up the C pillar was probably not for the lightbars (or at least that is not how my department has theirs wired). It was probably for the equipment kept in the trunk (internet connection, GPS, radio systems, etc).

As for the black box.....could be anything including a part of the previously mentioned systems. Does it have any wires going into it?

Yes, it does. It kinda like a 14+ pin connectors with bunch of wires. I had put everything back on as I have to drive it around for work, so I don't have a chance to trace down the wires yet.

I'm also curious how departments wire up the bars? Do they drill holes on the roof?

Yes, it does. It kinda like a 14+ pin connectors with bunch of wires. I had put everything back on as I have to drive it around for work, so I don't have a chance to trace down the wires yet.

I'm also curious how departments wire up the bars? Do they drill holes on the roof?

All depends on who wires it I suppose but from what I have seen, they all had a hole drilled on the roof allowing a 1/2 inch or so cable to connect to the light-bar. A lot of smaller departments pay third party companies to do all the wiring so if you have any way of finding out what department may have used your vehicle before you owned it you could find out who did all the wiring and ask them what various wires/modules/etc may be for.

The more I look at that module the more I think it has something to do with ford but it may be a module for taillight cutoffs??

I missed addressing this in the first post but the 4 posts that make a square on the roof are more than likely from the vehicle having a lojack system installed. These systems are installed by lojack on law enforcement vehicles for free by the company and I have ZERO idea what all goes into it or how it is wired.

The other two on the roof may have been the actual radio antennas?

I will look at how our lojack vehicles are set up to confirm all of this when I go in later.

I have never really taken a look at the roof and I did not even realize this until now lol

Anyone has idea what's that little black box next to the wiring and the rear power access point. Is it the tail light control module or a police package module? I searched around the drawings but couldn't find any module installed at that location. Also there is no part number on it except a bar code....................................................
Thanks.
Could it be part #8, Relay Box, in this diagram? Electrical Components for 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Peter

In my 2016 that's where the receiver for the key fobs was. Does it have an FCC ID on it?

In my 2016 that's where the receiver for the key fobs was. Does it have an FCC ID on it?

Nope. I don’t see any part number or marking on it except the bar code (maybe it’s on the other side). The barcode label did said “RSS-4” though, have no idea what it means

Unbolt it and look for a label on the bottom.

The electrical manual shows the harness, but doesn't call out what it hooks to :(

Although this diagram is for the 2011, I don't know if it applies to a 2016 or if that is the box (parking aid).

Peter
2011_explorer_componentviews_22.png

Reverse Sense System?

Although this diagram is for the 2011, I don't know if it applies to a 2016 or if that is the box (parking aid).

Peter

Good try, maybe that’s it.

Unbolt it and look for a label on the bottom.

The electrical manual shows the harness, but doesn't call out what it hooks to :(

That’s what confused me too, I checked all diagrams a few times and couldn’t find anything (maybe I missed).

I will unbolt it and check it out after the rain season (don’t want to mess with electrical in the rain).

All depends on who wires it I suppose but from what I have seen, they all had a hole drilled on the roof allowing a 1/2 inch or so cable to connect to the light-bar. A lot of smaller departments pay third party companies to do all the wiring so if you have any way of finding out what department may have used your vehicle before you owned it you could find out who did all the wiring and ask them what various wires/modules/etc may be for.

The more I look at that module the more I think it has something to do with ford but it may be a module for taillight cutoffs??

I missed addressing this in the first post but the 4 posts that make a square on the roof are more than likely from the vehicle having a lojack system installed. These systems are installed by lojack on law enforcement vehicles for free by the company and I have ZERO idea what all goes into it or how it is wired.

The other two on the roof may have been the actual radio antennas?

I will look at how our lojack vehicles are set up to confirm all of this when I go in later.

I have never really taken a look at the roof and I did not even realize this until now lol

Do you know what kind of antenna is used for the radio? (like the name of connectors, types, etc) I searched on the web and it shows many different stuffs and I have no idea what's the difference

I'm guessing you're referring to the police radio and not the car radio?

Peter

I just had my trim off a few days ago in a '13 - I do not recall seeing that box or the power wires in the C pillar, but I could wrong.

I just had my trim off a few days ago in a '13 - I do not recall seeing that box or the power wires in the C pillar, but I could wrong.

Do you have back up sensors on yours?

I'm guessing you're referring to the police radio and not the car radio?

Peter

Yes, the police radio connectors on both side.

From a wrecked 2014 FPIU with all the options that I dismantled, I'm pretty sure that box is for the rear proximity sensors. It still had the TPMS/remote start/central locking module in the center of dash, under the CD player.

Most of the antennas probably use mini-UHF connectors, assuming the ends of the cables haven't just been cut off. Most mobile data & WiFi tend to use SMA connectors, some use SMB or N connectors. If you know the type of coaxial cable used, you can get connectors pretty easily.

Most mobile antennas use common NMO roof mounts, it's just a matter of finding the correct antenna type to thread onto the mount.

The Laird puck is probably either high frequency radio, mobile data, or high-res GPS, the conical bases to the sides of the rear probably being originally for UHF/VHF/800 antennas for mobile radios, the square array of four bases was probably for a vehicle tracking system so the cruiser could pinpoint stolen cars with Lo-Jack & similar technology.

Anyone has idea what's that little black box next to the wiring and the rear power access point. Is it the tail light control module or a police package module? I searched around the drawings but couldn't find any module installed at that location. Also there is no part number on it except a bar code.

And the red wire going up in the C pillar, is that the power for light bars? (Don't have plan to remove the roof to check it yet).

oVs0ywc5yXnuwWkGTvv4k7b_AAL2SirWU-pIsyHb8rl3oIcrnituO9jc5xMnXvy5Nky3xBzzCuz9-HlaYqvh53BIONyv4oYqCfaA6NZkQiU-S9v_Blx7kNkBCZm770gsskBOpNcQtcoBYAPEnzkNhYGgbxkyXhWK2nyqaO1mrQYIqmwFQi5OGSDJDHjSx59qNdGEjhf7fx9xlnX1C8WOPGLTV-7oony5lQN8BIS0Je8O34ZzN_VCxIwbhV8IVZB6TnZwwX6-WN9hdWkYTCWozrbjnGU75WyQr473PQv6tVQEbIZq9KIinVwCTZGekynHxA44yiZy95sG6uulNW_HwAoXLthgtJsMyw8TYkOlWKLLYvpiPOlEkCzz5bSMV5NUOo3WRBc77hVPw6xMHi3AYJmEXbNGPmTRpg_Yh0p0b6ApJly3CxsDmMAlkgz6ds0Vpr6YwNPDwKPjzQmDtQoumjkIjyiYbKVfXWkAWOOTneHU5p4vPkxY5VJyUzq9wEiqXF-_cI00wK2H6eV0pIuB8zx7YYR_1rDwPnFxjKIbjDFQ1L7qEW9sJXIfVumP9yWQ838m_PPDAqbqTT-OQTxJ224tCi4_hcdB5cq9cjU6GfO09Qic9yKnbeP268d39RdpRLoN39Eu6dQHQGJk0qSYv9mR=w1250-h937-no

And for the antenna connectors, just curious what each connector is and for. I'm thinking about reusing this connector to install antennas for my mobile hotspot and radio scanner. Is it possible?

qESUknzkOEtiOLX5koeVk78wXMqkAHENHOglT4cgQhjiyafeNTtsOokauN62FI_BMEKRLSKrgFgNDCTTqKNJ071TQjSSG6guFvOYrrGwBm9yi0sA0FoVXaAyY_GcKTEKTJ0WKLQD4idTlWlmXgxBR0bKgvJQ48d32HpqU7mQcGDV8WkAB6sGVk20s-hltgro5QyJ-vD7ByMHsdOCccYTbbxC4cwg5l3TfRcKI6Rv8wFBUGAyKY4Sbcvuuht0CqywXOVzkF_jCLtV9FBlghtojYIVsLe3yzX9LPbRN0yI-GqKGouoRbRVbnpTCyHZZ2hEusDMeLoRV6iMDyoZfMJLTKPcQBFAcpNpzMyqaeCkwA4mCPBi33JKbAZqhhqzZR4aG6FdKd10B7AswPWq44ywwJbL8sF_mwOEEJI58N5Vh7ia3T69SgoYJgyyhTuNqdtrsvHpaKb-j8Zr4hl81g43_3csbfHUps7spoatFzX3OMRifsVU4SJRp5-zcK5emWZobxs9gcvuDbhnC3Syv8gmUSN7RUxkVWIp6wudj1z3Egg6JL9nsxPMU_9IXwpQkhpcsCK_BOOn_Ktx6NI8nMlHZam0AJV3ACN-ncfmbbkItr3-8hbuyw6ke-O6u80SXXaTY15ZrIosKGJJEm1_YtwVFh4v=w703-h937-no

Thanks.
The 4 roof mounts in the middle might be antennas for LoJack Doppler tracking equipment.
The mounts on the rear left and right may have been VHF/uhf/800mhz antennas
The chrome cap in the front might be covering another mount for GPS?

I bet the red wire is a 50 amp power point for radio power.

Back