• Register Today It's free!

4R70W 1-2 accumulator spring

Mikey98Ex5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0
Does anyone have a Ford part number for the 1-2 accumulator spring? The truck will kind of “kick” into 2nd gear and after doing plenty of research it seems my 1-2 accumulator spring may be bad.

Also this is the truck that was in a front end collision and I have it pretty much done now besides color matching the lower portion of the fender ( I ordered paint for it).

If anyone could help out it would be appreciated!

C7F7B5AF-BE18-4A87-9C84-C959114FC4F6.jpeg

76BFA498-B0B2-44BD-AF36-170D48D8855A.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7F284. Nice body repair work. I would just put a matching pin stripe on and be done with it.

Here's a link to both of the 1-2 accumulators, the pair $22, from the BCAstore. They sell the main spring you mention separately for $15 on their website, and lots of other 4R70W parts. They have a drop in $200 valve body for worn out parts, or for people who want the J-mod without doing the research and drilling.

AODE 4R70W 4R70E 4R75W 4R75E 1-2 Accumulator springs jmod | eBay

Sounds good, thanks. Do you know if I can get a pinstripe to match the original? It seems to be a decal.

Here's a link to both of the 1-2 accumulators, the pair $22, from the BCAstore. They sell the main spring you mention separately for $15 on their website, and lots of other 4R70W parts. They have a drop in $200 valve body for worn out parts, or for people who want the J-mod without doing the research and drilling.

AODE 4R70W 4R70E 4R75W 4R75E 1-2 Accumulator springs jmod | eBay
I'm staring at their drop in valve body and it's really tempting. Have you determined the correct drilling selection for the 4R in our trucks? As I recall, the last time this came up a year or so ago, you hadn't decided for sure.

I am about to find out in the next couple of weeks. I lost 3rd and 4th gear a week ago, and I'm hunting the parts I collected to build one. I'll find the notes I made for the Jmod holes and see what I can find from a trusted 4R builder I knew a long time ago. I need a few odd clutches too for the larger drums I bought, maybe he still carries those too.

I'm having the same hard 1-2 shift on my 5.0 ex with 115k on it. it only does it if you are getting on it a bit, but light acceleration it shifts normally. i had a 97 mustang with the 4r70w that would literally slam into 2nd even with very light throttle. dont know if i should dig into my transmission or just leave it alone. trans fluid is old and burnt so im thinking it may be that instead of a bad spring.

I may just leave the vb alone for now and do all the other parts you recommended. Engine is out as it is and I need to be up and running in less than three weeks. Plenty to do... I've got a couple of spare VBs so once you figure it out I can prep one and do the swap on a convenient weekend.

I am about to find out in the next couple of weeks. I lost 3rd and 4th gear a week ago, and I'm hunting the parts I collected to build one. I'll find the notes I made for the Jmod holes and see what I can find from a trusted 4R builder I knew a long time ago. I need a few odd clutches too for the larger drums I bought, maybe he still carries those too.
Have you had a chance to sort out the JMOD for our 4R's yet? Engine's in the shop so I've got a bit of time to deal with other issues at the moment.

If you have a spare VB in hand, you can do the Sonnax upgrades easily. The JMod I haven't gotten back to. I had taken some notes for hole sizes people use in Thunderbird's etc, but I didn't like the information I was finding for accumulator spring choices. What people chose for springs seemed all random and mostly personal choice of what people liked for shift firmness.

So the hole sizes might be kind of easy to decide, but the springs we will probably have to guess on the choices, and change them again if it's not ideal.

Sounds good. I was just going through the parts I'd accumulated a couple of years ago (right before blowing the engine, leading the current state of affairs) and putting my notes together. Looks like I've got the Sonnax line pressure booster kit, 1-2 accumulator springs, a solenoid kit, and a servo piston kit. Anything else I should grab?

Do the accumulators, they are coated in rubber and the seals get hard and leak a little. Check the Sonnax site, for 4R70W items. Find the Sure cure kit, and then read the individual items that are in the kit, available alone. You don't need all of those, and one is not ideal given another new item which was made after that kit(which is about 10-15 years old). They need to update that Sure Cure kit, and add something, remove something etc. You can tell by reading the item descriptions, which would be good for you.

The one conflict I recall is the higher PR spring is not to be used with another kit they have which alters the OEM PR valve and 2-3 other parts at that valve. Reading carefully you should be able to figure that out, two parts that seem to include springs and parts to do the same thing. The one spring is cheap, but the other kit is at least $65-$75. Summit and Rock Auto carry most all of those items.

I did a partial j-mod on mine. The problem is that the J-mod is really for car transmissions, which have a different separator plate than the gearboxes destined for trucks. My plate didn’t match up well with their description/instructions, so I didn’t drill.

I did, however remove the accumulator springs, replace the accumulators (the rubber dries out and they hang up in the bores), put new check balls and gaskets in, new solenoids, etc.

Shifts like a dream. Gentle and smooth if you are easy on the throttle, and the shifts get progressively more authoritative as you get on her. At WOT, the shifts are snappy and wheel chirping. They’ll wake you up.

If you like smooth factory shifts at full throttle, do not remove the springs.

Did you remove both accumulator springs completely? I have been hesitant to jump right in because I know the truck VB's are calibrated differently. The plate is a large part of that, but the actual holes drilled have the same function in all 4R70W's, and AODE's. So in theory, you could drill the same holes, but choose a smaller size. I saw a range of hole sizes to choose for most of the holes involved, so I was intending to start with a hole size on the smaller side of those recommendations.

The accumulator springs are supposed to be a big overall affect on the gear shift it's for(1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd). I bought the two most popular accumulator springs, which are still available on eBay and other source sites. I'd prefer to use those and make adjustments with the hole sizes, after also including the Sonnax parts. The one expensive Sonnax upgrade kit is for the main pressure circuit, it's to vary the pressure progressively by throttle, and it costs a good $70 on Summit. I think that is a new kit made way past all of the J'Mod examples and reviews. So it would notably affect any changes created by the drilled holes.

My plan was to do the Sonnax stuff(several) in the VB, the accumulators and springs, solenoids, and mild hole sizes for the J'Mod recommendations. Then see how close it becomes to what I want, and adjust the holes sizes as needed. Hopefully the accumulator springs chosen will be good choice to work with the other changes.

I think it called for removing the lower 1-2 spring(s) and leaving the upper, and removing the lower 2-3 spring (there is no upper).

The J-Mod how-to YouTube video covers it.

The shifts are great.

Here's Ford Article 97-11-11 for 1997 & older 4r70w replacement of Stock 1-2 Accumulator Springs

Attachments

• 1-2SPRINGS.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 105

Back