Help...Drilled out ignition won't turn | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help...Drilled out ignition won't turn

Katemeister

Reaction score
City, State
North Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
My question is actually about a 91 explorer. Sport 2wd 2d.. Seen some things regarding it but still having trouble.. Recently acquired Explorer from a friend who lost keys a few months back.. Locating them hasn't been successful. So plan A to go to dealership as you probably know can't happen as its older than the 10 year limit to go that route. Then plan B locksmith. Unsuccessful as well.. Not real clear as to why he said he couldn't but too late for it to matter now anyhow. So I'm at plan C.. Drilling out ignition.( I've had to do this twice before. First time was a Taurus years ago and broke Bell housing. Had to replace entire steering column.. which taught me to be more careful the second time. Which was super easy being a Honda Civic.. ) This project started out well. Simple enough i thought.. After drilling down the center (and being delayed numerous times with broken drill bits getting stuck) i finally thought i was through as I don't see any more gold tumbler pins etc but i still cannot get my cylinder to turn so that i can push the cylinder pin and remove the darn thing. Is there possibly something I'm missing or doing wrong? How many tumblers should i have ran into? What should the inside look like when it's stripped enough to turn with a screwdriver? Any helpful hints advice etc would be appreciated as I'm 200 miles from home with a cat at home alone awaiting my return.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the title, and in your name, you can take it to a dealership and have a key made.

How have you been starting it for the last couple of months?

The proper thing is to either have a MASTER locksmith make a key, or buy a new lock and install it. That requires taking apart the column.

We don't advocate any procedures that advise in how to pick locks, bypass security features, etc... for obvious reasons.

It is in my name but as i stated Ford dealership only keeps codes for ten years. I also already had a locksmith out and he was unable to make a key from code so the ignition lock possibly has been changed out at some point. Both are irrelevant now as I've already drilled out the center of the ignition lock after trying both the above were unsuccessful.

I am not trying anything illegal. I'm trying to get the old ignition out to put in a new one. Without having the key i had to go with the option of drilling out the center of lock cylinder. Which i did. However it still won't turn to the run position. I'm trying to find out if I'm missing something or maybe I'm just not drilling deep enough?? I don't want to break anything by drilling too far if that's possible..
I
am just now picking up the vehicle. It was not driven the last few months as i live a few hundred miles away. Finally came to pick it up hoping it would be as easy as going to dealer. Its not when it's a Ford older than 10 years old.

or buy anew lock and install it. That requires taking apart the column.

This is where i am at. So i guess i can ask what you mean by taking apart the column?!?!

Since you drilled out the cylinder, you changed how the lock normally gets replaced.

Keys are used to remove & replace the lock itself. If no keys, a locksmith is normally called.

If no locksmith is available, a tow to the dealership.

If you are dealing with an uncooperative dealership, then other dealerships are sought out.

If none to be found, then it's time to change the column with a new working lock & keys, or time to open up the column and start figuring out how to remove the lock cylinder.

Use the search feature in the 1991-1994 sections for removal details. If you have already replaced a steering column in the past, I assume you already have an idea of what's involved.

I have changed a couple 1st gen lock cylinders, not hard to do. Both had keys, though.

It is my understanding that as long as you can turn the cylinder to the *run* position you can press the release & pull the cylinder out. I hope this is true because I bought a 93 with a screwdriver ignition that I need to change out. The cylinder turns & it starts with the screwdriver so I have my fingers crossed.

I wish you the OP well, I hope you can get the cylinder to turn. I've misplaced both keys to my older 91 Lincoln, and I'm thinking I might have to swap the column soon. I need the ignition on to pump up the air springs, so I might first try to hot wire the ignition switch. I don't want to do it, I'm going to look for keys again first.

I wish you the OP well, I hope you can get the cylinder to turn. I've misplaced both keys to my older 91 Lincoln, and I'm thinking I might have to swap the column soon. I need the ignition on to pump up the air springs, so I might first try to hot wire the ignition switch. I don't want to do it, I'm going to look for keys again first.

I had thought about hot wiring it (ignition switch is halfway down the steering column on mine which i thought was odd) but it also has steering wheel lock. I didn't really wanna permanently disabled that security feature. I've heard that you can undo them but also heard sometimes they'll relock while you're driving so i opted out on that. If you are just needing to pump up the air springs then i don't see a problem with hotwiring the ignition switch.

I have changed a couple 1st gen lock cylinders, not hard to do. Both had keys, though.

It is my understanding that as long as you can turn the cylinder to the *run* position you can press the release & pull the cylinder out. I hope this is true because I bought a 93 with a screwdriver ignition that I need to change out. The cylinder turns & it starts with the screwdriver so I have my fingers crossed.

Correct.. with the keys in hand or at least already being able to turn the cylinder to run with a screwdriver then it's a two minute job. Getting to that state of drilling it enough to start with a screwdriver wasn't so easy

Since you drilled out the cylinder, you changed how the lock normally gets replaced.

Keys are used to remove & replace the lock itself. If no keys, a locksmith is normally called.

If no locksmith is available, a tow to the dealership.

If you are dealing with an uncooperative dealership, then other dealerships are sought out.

If none to be found, then it's time to change the column with a new working lock & keys, or time to open up the column and start figuring out how to remove the lock cylinder.

Use the search feature in the 1991-1994 sections for removal details. If you have already replaced a steering column in the past, I assume you already have an idea of what's involved.

I had already had a locksmith out. He was unable to make the key and Ford dealerships do not hold the key codes for any vehicle over ten years in age.

kwikset-pin-and-tumbler-diagram

Thought I'd update that i was able to get it out finally after seeing this pic on another post. i tried drilling one more time. I believe i was missing one of the tumbler pins before as i only remember seeing 5. After breaking yet another drill bit tada... I was pretty relieved when it finally turned to run position and i could push the release pin! Hooray!. So now I'm safe and sound and home at long last and my cat was very hungry, very thirsty and very happy to see me as well..

Great, well done, I'm glad you got it fixed and home safely.

Back