• Register Today It's free!

Busted out ignition - need help

1stGENxploder

Reaction score
City, State
STL, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford xlp 4x4 XLT
So I lost my keys. Didn't have the money to have an emergency key locksmith come out and print me one off of my tumbler, so I had my buddy come over to my brothers house where my car was parked. He busted out the ignition, and completely took out the tumbler, broke a lot of the internals of the ignition. The end of the tumbler that fits into the housing, is stuck inside the small hole that it goes into. I have to start the vehicle with a screwdriver by manually pushing the gears forward forward and backward inside the ignition.

Here's some pictures.
5l2vs4.jpg

2375dt.jpg

rkn804.jpg

16hn8dg.jpg

What would I have to do to replace this? What parts would I need? Is there so much damage that I need to replace the steering column?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks a bit tricky, plus a bit time consuming which I have none of. How much would this cost, labor wise? And what exact part would I need?

I have no idea of the cost of parts, I paid per-pound at a junkyard. It took me many hours if not the better part of a day but that's mostly because I had to figure things out on the go and took some breaks. You could probably save some time with an automatic steering column, I had to convert mine over from a manual so that took extra time. You might be able to get away with just the steering wheel mount, the aluminum/magnesium/whatever part that's grey and broken in your pictures.

Just get an entire steering column and swap it out. Takes about 1 hour. easy peasy... ..

Yep, not too bad to replace a steering column. You can easily have it done by lunch time. I paid $50 for mine.

Yep, not too bad to replace a steering column. You can easily have it done by lunch time. I paid $50 for mine.

Looks like I'll be visiting a junkyard soon.

Just get an entire steering column and swap it out. Takes about 1 hour. easy peasy... ..

Take entire assembly? Ignition and all?

Yes, just make sure you get the new key!

Back