I'm hearing a whistling sound coming from under my suv by the driver's seat area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm hearing a whistling sound coming from under my suv by the driver's seat area

rickyd123

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
The whistling sound starts shortly after I start my vehicle and goes away as soon as I turn it off. There is also this intermittent squish sound from the same general area. I was given this vehicle. It sat for about 6 months, so I don't trust it much. It seems to run pretty good. I've had it running about two weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's coming from under the vehicle and not inside? Some have power lumbar cushions inside the seat. Perhaps the inflator is stuck on or leaking. If it's coming from under the vehicle I'd suspect that you are hearing the fuel pump running

Yes it's defiantly coming from outside the vehicle. I can't hear anything when I'm inside. I only heard it because I was checking the tranny fluid level and it was running while I was standing outside the driver's door.
i need to get under it and pinpoint its exact location. It seems to sound to far forward to be coming from the fuel pump, but you maybe right. If so it is very, very loud. Should I be worried?

Could be a lot of things. Vacuum leaks will sometimes sound like a whistle. Some fuel pumps are pretty loud. I'd crawl under and investigate further for sure but if it's running ok and not doing anything weird I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ok I'm going to get under it in a couple hours. I'll post what I figure out. If I don't see anything I'll try not worrying about it until something brakes I guess.

I checked under the suv and the sound is coming from the fuel tank. It must be the fuel pump. I'll ignore it until the fuel pump goes out. I have a different question about electric door locks not working. Should I start a new thread or just expand on this one. I'm not very good at the proper way to ask multiple questions on forums.

Some pumps are just loud. I never could hear either pump in my F150 till I replaced the high pressure one... it's got quite a loud whine now. Probably not a sign of failure, when you can't hear it, that's when there's a problem!

Ask away about the door locks. 1st gen Explorers are notorious for door lock issues................................

When I got this SUV the door locks were really messed up, so I went to a wrecking yard with the key and tried it in every 1994 Ford until I found one it worked in and then I pulled those locks and put them in my SUV. My locks have little electric tabs on them for the electric door locks. The door lock system worked before I changed locks it doesn't after. They were really hard to reinstall. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what I might have done wrong or has some advice about how I could fix this. Local place that could fix it wants $90 an hour. I can't afford that. I either have to fix it myself or have no power door locks. I won't be heart broken if I can't fix them, but I'd like to try.

Back