19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that feeling. My twin girls just graduated HS and are going to college.

1 more in HS.
Yowzer! Ours are between 4 months and 5 and half years old, so we have a while before that. But the mess, sometimes it's just o_O

Wow.. Just bought a '19 Limited non turbo with factory tow package. I have the same problem. 6x12 Forest River v nose enclosed trailer. Trailer weighs ~1200 empty, maybe ~1700lbs with my 1st trip. Normally I have a 4wheeler in it but my 1st trip I tried using it to move 4 bedroom dressers and a bookcase. ~4000rpm @ 60mph, 9 miles to the gallon. Tried tow/haul, tried going faster to see if it would shift, no luck. I tried manual shift but it ran out of power right away. With a 5000 lb tow rating this should be a breeze. Dealer doesn't have any ideas. They want me to bring it in with the trailer to check it out. I'm screwed, should have kept my GMC Sierra.

.................................................................. I'm screwed, should have kept my GMC Sierra.
Or your 2007 Eddie Bauer. Welcome to the 5th gen Forum. :wave:

Peter

Wow.. Just bought a '19 Limited non turbo with factory tow package. I have the same problem. 6x12 Forest River v nose enclosed trailer. Trailer weighs ~1200 empty, maybe ~1700lbs with my 1st trip. Normally I have a 4wheeler in it but my 1st trip I tried using it to move 4 bedroom dressers and a bookcase. ~4000rpm @ 60mph, 9 miles to the gallon. Tried tow/haul, tried going faster to see if it would shift, no luck. I tried manual shift but it ran out of power right away. With a 5000 lb tow rating this should be a breeze. Dealer doesn't have any ideas. They want me to bring it in with the trailer to check it out. I'm screwed, should have kept my GMC Sierra.

That's a bunch of rpm at 60mph, it should be able to tow in the next lower gear. That NA engine is more powerful than the older NA engines, it should do much better than that. My 98 with 215hp(new) did fine towing my 99 on a car trailer, except for the one huge mountain I had to climb coming back. That was over a mile, steep, and 35-45mph was all I pushed it to.

1700lbs should be mildly felt on flat roads.

That's a bunch of rpm at 60mph, it should be able to tow in the next lower gear. That NA engine is more powerful than the older NA engines, it should do much better than that. My 98 with 215hp(new) did fine towing my 99 on a car trailer, except for the one huge mountain I had to climb coming back. That was over a mile, steep, and 35-45mph was all I pushed it to.

1700lbs should be mildly felt on flat roads.

Agree, my old 07 with a 4.0 pulled the same trailer with no issues.. Very disappointed with this problem..

Agree, my old 07 with a 4.0 pulled the same trailer with no issues.. Very disappointed with this problem..
You may want to read over this.

It looks like Ford recommends limiting the frontal area to 40 sq ft. If you're towing a 6' wide trailer that means it can only be 6'8" tall before you're over the limit. I'm just guessing you're over that, and you're having issues with drag.

There is also so much more to figure in when you plan on towing with a vehicle.

The engine is just on of them, you also have the transmission and the rear end gearing along with the actual weight of the vehicle that is doing the towing. If your Explorer is close to its max weight carrying capabilities and you then hook a trailer up on the rear of it the performance is going to drop drastically.

Found the answer, trading it in for an F150 Ecoboost. Done!

Why didn't you stick with the Explorer and get a Sport or Platinum with the 3.5 Ecoboost?

Back