Acceleration Issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration Issues

Umm

did you reset the PCM? If you did then it would be hard to know what´s wrong without some diagnostics.
Some sensors and electronics can be very tricky, be bad and don´t trigger a code. I suggest you take it to a dealer.
A couple of things come to mind but they require replacing parts. A bad or failing coil or maybe you have a bad TPS which is in the throttle body, its not expensive, the throttle body costs about 50 bucks, but then again, you need to know for sure what´s wrong instead of start to throw parts at the truck.
I suggest you take it to a Ford dealer or to a shop with diagnostics. If you can´t take it to a dealer, you could use Forscan with a bluetooth ODBII adapter, maybe there´s a pending code, only advance electronics can read.

I hope this helps.

***i figured the dealer wouldn’t be much help since no light is on. Thought they’d say they couldn’t replicate the problem. I’ll see if I can get my hands on a scanner. I am going on a trip in a few weeks and I was planning to drive this vehicle but if I can’t get this straight I don’t trust taking it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

***i figured the dealer wouldn’t be much help since no light is on. Thought they’d say they couldn’t replicate the problem. I’ll see if I can get my hands on a scanner. I am going on a trip in a few weeks and I was planning to drive this vehicle but if I can’t get this straight I don’t trust taking it.

Yes, get your hands on a scanner that can read pending codes. I wouldn´t take a trip with that symptoms neither.

Yes, get your hands on a scanner that can read pending codes. I wouldn´t take a trip with that symptoms neither.

Yep.

Autozone or advanced auto could probably help with that if you don't have access to one.

I thought I had the same issue as what was discussed, like an ever so slight miss. Think its the tires, not perfectly balanced. Does it with and without load.

I ordered a cable last night and plan to download forscan onto the computer once it arrives. I've been driving this vehicle more often trying to figure out what is going on and yesterday I noticed while leaving work when climbing a hill with the AC on that it cuts way down on the amount of pressure blowing out. Does anyone think this may be part of my issue? This is really driving me crazy not being able to figure this out.

Could be a problem on some a/c check valve. That can cause a vacuum leak creating the symptoms described earlier. What type of "cable" did you order? Is it a cable or adapter? A bluetooth adapter can be very useful, you can download the torque app on your phone and track the fuel trims, if there´s a vacuum leak fuel trims will be way positive, greater than +20% trigger a check engine code thou...

Could be a problem on some a/c check valve. That can cause a vacuum leak creating the symptoms described earlier. What type of "cable" did you order? Is it a cable or adapter? A bluetooth adapter can be very useful, you can download the torque app on your phone and track the fuel trims, if there´s a vacuum leak fuel trims will be way positive, greater than +20% trigger a check engine code thou...

I meant an adapter, I was going to download forscan and see if that told me anything. Never used the adapter or forscan so we shall see. Is it normal for the air to blow less under a small load at most 3,000 rpms?

No, is not normal. I believe that even at full accelaration the ac blower works without problems.

Well I believe I have solved the stuttering issue. I was searching the forum and came across someone who described a similar issue and solved theirs by draining the transmission and filling back up. I did that a week ago and again over the weekend, my thought was doing it twice so close together I’d get most of the old fluid out. Each time I only got about 4.5 quarts out. After that first drain I noticed immediate results. I didn’t know there have a built in filter that ford considers lifetime and maintenance free. Going to get in the habit of draining it at least once a year, we don’t have long commutes, might be 10,000 miles a year max. Hope this helps other in the future.

Well I believe I have solved the stuttering issue. I was searching the forum and came across someone who described a similar issue and solved theirs by draining the transmission and filling back up. I did that a week ago and again over the weekend, my thought was doing it twice so close together I’d get most of the old fluid out. Each time I only got about 4.5 quarts out. After that first drain I noticed immediate results. I didn’t know there have a built in filter that ford considers lifetime and maintenance free. Going to get in the habit of draining it at least once a year, we don’t have long commutes, might be 10,000 miles a year max. Hope this helps other in the future.

Wow, that´s amazing.

I recently did 5 drains and refilling with 4.6 qts of Mercon LV, that got me about 94% new fluid. Maybe that´s why my throttle response is instant and linear.

The chart would be as follows:

1st drain/refill you get about 43% new fluid
2nd drain/refill you get about 67% new fluid
3rd drain/refill you get about 81% new fluid
4rth drain/refill you get about 89% new fluid
5th drain/refill you get about 94% new fluid

You can very well stop at 3, as you may got most. In my case (and I think most cases) my fluid was dark brown, I freaked out at first, luckily the fluid didn´t smell burnt, anyways I believe all the additives in the fluid were gone. That´s why I decided to do 5. My fluid is cherry red now.

How close can the drain/refills can be, I did them after at least 20 miles (continuous) trips. That ensures the transmission gets hot enough to cycle all the fluid and mix it well. I did the procedure on a warm transmission, never hot. Refilled with 4.6 qts every time, in my truck that would get me to the x.. mark all the way to the full mark on the dipstick, not overfilled. To check the level I use the Torque Pro App with bluethoot ODBII adapter, the trans needs to be 180-200F, I take the readings on the dipstick as close as 190F as possible. Important, drain plug torqued to 80 lbs-in.

Wow, that´s amazing.

I recently did 5 drains and refilling with 4.6 qts of Mercon LV, that got me about 94% new fluid. Maybe that´s why my throttle response is instant and linear.

The chart would be as follows:

1st drain/refill you get about 43% new fluid
2nd drain/refill you get about 67% new fluid
3rd drain/refill you get about 81% new fluid
4rth drain/refill you get about 89% new fluid
5th drain/refill you get about 94% new fluid

You can very well stop at 3, as you may got most. In my case (and I think most cases) my fluid was dark brown, I freaked out at first, luckily the fluid didn´t smell burnt, anyways I believe all the additives in the fluid were gone. That´s why I decided to do 5. My fluid is cherry red now.

How close can the drain/refills can be, I did them after at least 20 miles (continuous) trips. That ensures the transmission gets hot enough to cycle all the fluid and mix it well. I did the procedure on a warm transmission, never hot. Refilled with 4.6 qts every time, in my truck that would get me to the x.. mark all the way to the full mark on the dipstick, not overfilled. To check the level I use the Torque Pro App with bluethoot ODBII adapter, the trans needs to be 180-200F, I take the readings on the dipstick as close as 190F as possible. Important, drain plug torqued to 80 lbs-in.

Do you know anything about the forscan app? I downloaded that and bought an adapter but it’s a bit of information overload for me when I hook it up. It’s a pain checking the tranny fluid level in these things. If I could check it through forscan that would save me a lot of time and head ache

Do you know anything about the forscan app? I downloaded that and bought an adapter but it’s a bit of information overload for me when I hook it up. It’s a pain checking the tranny fluid level in these things. If I could check it through forscan that would save me a lot of time and head ache
Yes, I´ve used Forscan before. I have to check if the trans temp can be monitored.

Once you can monitor the trans temp, it´s not that hard to check the level.

Back