• Register Today It's free!

04 Ford Explorer mom

JessieNessie

Reaction score
City, State
Plainville, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford explorer xlt
Evening all, new here. I have an 04 Explorer 4.0 V6. Truck started a wah wah noise when coasting at 65 and decelerating, stopped when gas or brakes applied. Gradually got worse and the started pulling to the right in sync with noise. Still stopped with gas or brakes. Looked at it, replaced inner tie rods. Looked again, jacked it up ect. Debate between CV axle or bearings. Noticed CV boot was leaking at that time. I avoided driving over 40mph to save money for repairs. 2 days ago no matter what speed or applying brakes or gas it feels like something it intermittently stopping the right side tire from turning. Almost violently. So I parked her and am now pricing parts. First question, axle or bearings and second I was asked if it required removing the front end to replace axle? I do all the work myself but at the direction of my 50+ year veteran father while he holds my beer. Looking to keep cost down and get it fixed in one shot. Thank you all ahead for advice! Hope you all are having a great day!

I would consider a frozen brake caliper as well. Spend a bit of time diagnosing the issue before purchasing anything. I would start by pulling the caliper off to see if it's frozen. From there spin the front wheel and listen to the bearing, then try to rock the tire from the top and bottom to check for play in the wheel bearing.

I haven't replaced a CV axle in an Explorer so I can't help you there, but there are articles here on the forum that you can search for.

Welcome Jessie. It almost sounds to me like a bad hub & bearing or a sticking brake caliper.

Back