I think you've talked me into swapping my front differential - now the questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think you've talked me into swapping my front differential - now the questions.

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
My SUV - 1998 Explorer XLT, SOHC, Auto, Control trac 4wd, with 3.73 ratio limited slip rear differential, which I believe makes the front 3.73 also.

I've been searching local yards near Chicagoland and they appear to want at least $250 for the part.

In doing several internet searches it appears that the Ranger used the same front differential up until 2011. So I figure that I can find a newer front differential with fewer miles out of a Ranger.

Is there any reason that the same front differential out of a Ranger would not work in an Explorer?

I've found this one, low miles, half the price of what I've found local and even with shipping It will be cheaper.

The page says it will fit, does anyone know of any reason it wouldn't?

2008 Ranger Front Differential Carrier Assembly OEM 74K Miles (LKQ~225097504) | eBay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem comes when you need to swap in a transmission and a trasfer case, wiring for it and new driveshafts. The front axle would be easy, but you also need the front spindles too.

I can't tell if your just swapping the gears in it? if so I would just go with the whole front axle .

You guys are gonna confuse him!
The whole front differential comes out with 3 bolts after you pull the CV shafts

The 2000-2011 Ranger uses the SAME FRONT DIFFERENTIAL

Yes that 2008 Ranger 3.73 front diff will bolt into your 98 Explorer

You do not have to change any other parts as the 08 Ranger uses the exact same diff as your explorer.

The shipping is $95 on that diff so its actually $208 a very good deal but not incredible by any means. I usually sell used front diffs for $75
Have you checked your local craigslist?

Any 96-01 Explorer or mountaineer with 3.73 will work
Any 2000-11 Ranger, mazda B3000 or mazda B4000 front diff with 3.73 will work

The only things to watch out for on those SLA diffs are the 95-96 Explorer CAD, and Ranger Vac hubs used on a couple years. Both can be used, there is just more too it.

yes that's why I left the 95 explorer and 98-99 rangers out
I guess some 96 Ex still had the CAD...

PLENTY of used front diffs to choose from
Find somebody parting out a low mile ex or ranger in your neighborhood and offer them $80-100 for the front diff

You guys are gonna confuse him!
The whole front differential comes out with 3 bolts after you pull the CV shafts

The 2000-2011 Ranger uses the SAME FRONT DIFFERENTIAL

Yes that 2008 Ranger 3.73 front diff will bolt into your 98 Explorer

You do not have to change any other parts as the 08 Ranger uses the exact same diff as your explorer.

The shipping is $95 on that diff so its actually $208 a very good deal but not incredible by any means. I usually sell used front diffs for $75
Have you checked your local craigslist?

Any 96-01 Explorer or mountaineer with 3.73 will work
Any 2000-11 Ranger, mazda B3000 or mazda B4000 front diff with 3.73 will work

I think that my original post confused them first, I knew what I meant.

Your reply is exactly what I needed. I had tried to find a definitive interchangeable parts list online but couldn't find one that I trusted.

I hadn't thought to try craig's list, Duh. I've got an old VW that many parts came from EBay when that site was just starting out (including the motor and tranny). I've only had one bad experience there and had to write off a $65 tranny. So it is still one of my go to sites for used parts.

I've pulled a lot of parts on my own from junk yards but would rather not be working under an explorer out in some field trying to pull the old differential out hoping that the car is not going to fall on me. So willing to pay a few extra $$ to have the part already removed.

And now you have given me is an reasonable amount to offer, so I'll do some more shopping around.

This will not be swapped out anytime in the near future as my daughter is using the XLT as a daily drive to work while she saves up some money for her own car. But I would like to be ready to do it when it starts to cool off around here.

Thanks again.

Sorry I miss read...I thought he was going from 2wd to 4wd. :nono: . No more late night posts for me:laugh:

Sorry I miss read...I thought he was going from 2wd to 4wd. :nono: . No more late night posts for me:laugh:

hey, at least you tried to help out. When I initially found out that the noise was coming from the front differential, I thought that paying someone to rebuild it (which is more work than I have time to do) was going to cost more than what the car is worth. But then others suggest just swapping it out, and seeing the low cost of used differentials. that makes this fixable.

If I had been trying to go from 2WD to 4WD on a SUV this old and with the SOHC engine, I would hope someone would have stopped me and told me just to go buy a good used 4WD explorer instead. And I thing that is where you were going with your reply.

Back