So, I bought the used front differential online, Now I think that a part is missing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So, I bought the used front differential online, Now I think that a part is missing.

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
Hey guys, for those who missed the first two threads 1998 XLT 4WD SOHC.

I went ahead and bought the used front differential online. After it arrived, I pulled the FME plugs that they had put into the axle openings to see if I should get new axle seals before I install it. When I looked into the Right (passenger) side tube, the male splined axle shaft that connects the female splined half shaft to the rest of the differential was not inside the tube.
kZHRrCk.jpg

eUzpZZ4.jpg

It looks like it just pulls out, so I was thinking that the junkyard just pulled it out with the half shaft and never put it back in.

Am I being a jackass expecting it to have been included? Can I just use the one from my old front Differential? Will the gears (or whatever is on the other end) mesh up ok given the fact that the two gears would have worn in but not with each other.
Should I be asking for a refund since it didn't come with all the parts?

Bottom line am I wrong in thinking that this axle that is internal to the front differential should have come with it?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there is no damage to your old axle shaft, you can use it.

If there is no damage to your old axle shaft, you can use it.

the only problem is that I won't know until I pull it and at that point it's going to be too late.

I can't find a drawing or picture of the other end of the axle that is missing. how does it attache to the rest of the differential? Gears? big ass notch?

okay, so since the missing axle piece has splines and not gear at the other then I don't have to worry about two gears wearing in together, so I feel better about just using the axle from my old differential in this "new" used one.

I do still have one (hopefully final) question for the guys who have done this before, am I wrong that I expected that axle piece to come with the used differential or am I just being a jackass expecting extra parts?

Thanks again guys there is no substitute for experience.

I would say that in the exploded view of the diagram for parts of the unit, if the part is in the exploded view, it should come with it when new. Being that this is a used part, If you have a picture of the actual item for sale by the seller and it shows the axle in side the tube, then it should come with it. If you dont have a photo of the diff. by the seller, and unless it was specifically discussed that the axle came with the used part, I would not expect it to be in place.
I have purchased and sold used differentials before and it always has to be stated whether the differential does, or does not come with the drive axles, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

That inner shaft should come with a diff, but they are all very strong and should not be worn at all. Reuse your old one, and try to get one from the seller as a spare. The snap ring on the inner side often doesn't want to let it come out, they just pull out. But both ends have similar rings to hold them in, so which ever end has a weaker snap ring, lets go first.

Update, seller would never come out and say that the inner shaft should have come with it. And they said that they could not provide used one as a spare, but they did send me $40 to make up for it not being included. So, I'm hoping that the old one is still good.

I've got new axle seals for it that I need to get installed, then it is just a matter of getting the car away from my daughter long enough to install it. I expect that Chicagoland rust rear it's ugly head at some point during the removal/installation and I don't have a lift, so I'll probably take a full weekend on my back doing the work. At least it's not cold out yet.

Thanks guys for all the help and opinions.

old one is still good
The shaft will often stick to the CV axle when you pull the diff out, so sometimes it gets left behind
It SHOULD be part of the used diff assembly, it just depends on who you are buying from
The $40 refund should make up for their mistake since you kept the old axle shaft, just use the old one they are tough as nails.

old one is still good
The shaft will often stick to the CV axle when you pull the diff out, so sometimes it gets left behind
It SHOULD be part of the used diff assembly, it just depends on who you are buying from
The $40 refund should make up for their mistake since you kept the old axle shaft, just use the old one they are tough as nails.

I agree. Your old one is probably good so just reuse it and a $40 refund seems reasonable.

Back