• Register Today It's free!

Redneck Power Windows Wiring

FullBlownModz

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 97 solid axle exes
I am having some trouble with my window wiring. The rednecks I got the truck from left me with a wiring ****show. Power locks never worked, but the power windows always did. Anyways, I was putting on some door panels. I went to roll up the drivers window, and I felt one of the wires get really hot. Now the windows dont work. I went to replace fuse 14 (30A circuit breaker) and it was hot to the touch. Replacement fuse didnt fix the windows, and it soon got hot to touch. I found the schematic for the power windows since I cant locate my Haynes manual, but the wire colors are a little different.

I was planning on going to the JY this week to get a whole new door wiring harness since this one is pretty chopped up. Here is the kicker, I traced the ground wire and found that it was spliced into. Followed it to a black box under the dash with an LED on. It says AUTO COMMAND. I looked into it and it looks like a remote start system. It has some wires going to the starter relay, but the rest of the wires are birds nested in the engine bay :dunno:

Do i rip this thing out or what? I dont have the remote for it. Power windows have never had a problem before until I started putting on the door panels. Is the remote start tripping with power window breaker? thanks in advance!
TY990Gi.jpg

odv6Lin.jpg

QKxPGqp.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by pulling an entire unmolested driver door wiring harness and replacing that crap. Those driver door controls are getting hard to find out here so I would grab that as well. The door wiring harness plugs are located under the driver side kick panel up near the bottom of the dash.

A quick internet search says that "Auto Command" is a remote start, door lock module. Do you have the key fobs for that? Do you want it? If not, rip that out and repair the wiring.

Get it back to stock and start over. If you remove the driver's seat, you can lie on your back and access under the dash easier.

Looking at the pictures, it appears that Explorer has been immersed in some very muddy water.

I would start by pulling an entire unmolested driver door wiring harness and replacing that crap. Those driver door controls are getting hard to find out here so I would grab that as well. The door wiring harness plugs are located under the driver side kick panel up near the bottom of the dash.

A quick internet search says that "Auto Command" is a remote start, door lock module. Do you have the key fobs for that? Do you want it? If not, rip that out and repair the wiring.

Get it back to stock and start over. If you remove the driver's seat, you can lie on your back and access under the dash easier.

Looking at the pictures, it appears that Explorer has been immersed in some very muddy water.

Thanks for the response! Last time I went to the yard, they only had a 2 door, so i didnt grab the wiring. I'll see if they have a 4 door this time.

I dont have the remote start module fobs. I traced all the wires to 2 separate relays. One wasnt hooked up correctly, and the other im not sure of. I could probably order a remote, but im sure i would need wire those relays again and fix most of the bad wiring job. Also, im getting this truck ready to sell, so i dont really have a need for it.

I started to remove the module, but there are wires going every which way. Not sure if i should leave it as is for the next owner or return it back to stock. It's quite the mess under the dash.
qnvq5Va.jpg

This is primarily my mud truck, so that would explain why it looks so dirty haha
It has been doors deep in a mud hole plenty of times. Keep in mind that it is SASed on 37s :burnout:
pkoKFTm.png

So, I removed the wire from the module that was tapped into the door locks. I took the window switch apart and cleaned the contacts. I tested the windows, and they worked for about 3 seconds and then the switch started to smoke. Probably not going to mess with the windows until i get a new wiring harness on wednesday.

For the module removal, how do i access these wires above the steering column? I believe this is where the wires are spliced, but I cant get easy access to the wires are (under the white tape).
YYVW0ck.jpg

Remove the instrument cluster, or unbolt the steering column from under the dash and see how much room the wiring gives you. The ignition wiring is on the top of the column. There are two heavy wires for the ignition, same color and size. Sometimes they get spliced together to make a remote start, alarm, etc.., function because they do the same thing. If I remember right, they are red/white or white/red.

I removed the two 14mm bolts holding up the steering column. I was able to gain access to the ignition wiring harness. The wires are spliced into, but I was impressed to see that they were actually soldered. I guess im going to unsolder the joints, but this is becoming quite the repair project. The spliced wires have decent connections. I wish I knew if the remote start/door unlock still works because I would just leave it for the next person to mess with.
Tav7Ihs.jpg

Wow that is a mess. Ebay has a used 1991 factory evtm wiring manual that has all the wiring diagrams in it. Well worth the $11

Back