Transmission Question

sroth004

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
All,

First apologies to the Second Gen group as I originally and accidentally posted this in that forum.

I recently returned to the Gen 1 Explorer world having purchased a '94 XLT with 66K miles. Overall the truck is in great shape, no rust including underneath, chassis, running gear nuts and bolts, etc...however I determined within 1/4 mile after the truck was unloaded from the transport carrier the trans was a problem, basically the truck was holding first gear to 3500 rpm regardless of accelerator position (worse when hot). Having had both a manual Mazda Navajo and '94 XLT automatic in the 90s I knew the auto trans was a weak point. Brought it to a local transmission repair facility which determined the low miles and the vehicle sitting (indoors) for about 18 months caused the internal seals to fail.

Had the trans rebuilt (with warranty) and it is working well with one significant exception - when coasting to a stop at approx 14/15 MPH there is what feels to me is a hard downshift. The trans shop believes this is due to rear end play and believes it will reduce over time as the trans "loosens up"; the Ford dealer which completed two open recalls disagrees and believes it is a hard downshift and the rest of the driveline is fine. This hard downshift did not occur prior to the transmission rebuild.

As I bring this vehicle back to life, I suspect I will be seeking advice from the group in the coming weeks on a couple of other issues however I would appreciate any thoughts on this one. Thanks in advance.

Steve R
Harrisburg PA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like the transmission shop doesn't want to stand behind their work and fix it correctly.

I think I would do the following:
1) Ford says the rest of the drivetrain is fine. Get that in writing if you can.
2) Get a 2nd opinion from a different trans shop, an estimate to fix it in writing. A 3rd opinion from a third shop would be greater yet.
3) Get the manager/owner from the shop that did the work on a test drive so they cannot deny knowledge of the problem, and show them copies of 1 and 2.
4) Explain to them that they need to fix it or you will go to small claims court. You want it fixed right, or they owe you to have someone else fix it.

I would not try to fix it yourself. The moment you put a wrench on it, you release them from liability.

And, I wouldn't delay on this. The more time you drive on the rebuild... it gives them greater weight in saying it's your fault. I think you have a great case now. Not so great in a month.

Sounds like a mis-adjusted vacuum modulator (provided they replaced it with an adjustable type or at all). The trans doesn't "loosen up" over time :crazy:, the bands need to bed into the drums, but that's not going to cause that jerky-ness. Regardless of what I believe: A) the transmission isn't acting right and they need to fix it and B) the transmission isn't acting right and they need to fix it. That's all there is to it. Don't drive it until they take it back. If you cause damage to the transmission because of their mistake it'll be harder to prove incompetence.

As for the seals deteriorating in 18 months from sitting indoors is bullsh!t. My friends bought a 94 that had been sitting outside for 15 years with 120k miles and the transmission seals didn't leak, they only parked it because the vacuum modulator caused the transmission to act up.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your suggestions, consistent with mine and I appreciate the objective opinions.

Steve

Back