93 Transmission help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Transmission help

Reaction score
City, State
Midland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I have a 1993 XLT that I love, sadly the transmission went out about 6 months ago. I don't have the money to have it replaced at a mechanic. I have worked on cars for years, but have never done anything with transmissions. This is completely new ground for me. Now here is my situation, The original transmission was an A4LD, and 2WD. I have another A4LD from a 94 explorer which is still good, but from a 4WD.

My question is whether or not I should try and rebuild the original 2WD trans not knowing what is wrong with it, or if there is a way to convert the 4WD trans to 2WD? Or am I just biting off more than I can chew? How hard would it be to make the 4WD to 2WD switch? Am I just crazy to think I can rebuild a trans without knowing much, every one has to have a first time right?

This explorer is not very valuable, I have always just kept it for sentimental reasons (it was my first car.) So if I messed something up it wouldn't be the end of the world. Do you think it is worth learning on?

I appreciate any advice or tips that you can give me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to swap the transfer case adapter on the rear of the 4WD tranny for the end of the 2WD tranny and it will then bolt up.

While you have the bad tranny out, you can tinker with it, but these auto transmissions seem to take special tools and parts to rebuild. It's worth looking at (along with a repair manual, of course) to check for any obvious issues and learn, but you may wind up just having to store it until such time as you can get it completely rebuilt, probably around the time the other tranny starts going on you.

Welcome to this forum! What are the symptoms of the bad transmission? It might be possible to fix without rebuilding the entire thing. Check the sticky threads in the transmission section on the A4LD for more information.

or if there is a way to convert the 4WD trans to 2WD? Or am I just biting off more than I can chew? How hard would it be to make the 4WD to 2WD switch? Am I just crazy to think I can rebuild a trans without knowing much, every one has to have a first time right?
Converting from 4wd to 2wd means changing the tailshaft amongst other things. The tailshaft is the last thing to come out (and the first thing to go in) during a teardown and rebuild, so, by the time you've done the conversion, you are only the cost of parts from rebuilding it.

Have a look at the A4LD rebuild diary thread in the transmission forum to see if you feel up to rebuilding an A4LD at home. Glacier did a good job of explaining the process.

I do feel up to the task, I need a summer project anyway. What exactly are all the changes I need to make in order for it to work as a 2wd trans. The tail shaft but what else. Also I have a nice selection of tools, but what special tools am I going to need to get this done? Are there any I don't need, but that would be helpful?

Where can I get the parts I need for this job?

The sticky thread in the transmission section called the A4LD rebuild diary has a step by step tear down of this transmission. It shows the Rotunda C3 tool kit being used on this A4LD. It's possible to do everything without the kit, but some seals are tricky such as the center support rings. They are easy to rip. Glacier991 put his parts with seals in the freezer to contract them prior to installation. There are freeze sprays with tapered cones which do the same thing in a matter of minutes.

So I have the trans apart, its been quite the learning experience. The problem is that I don't know exactly what I am doing from here. I can follow the rebuild diary, but is rebuilding guaranteed to get my explorer running again? What are some other possible problems. When the trans went out, it was shifting rough for a month or so, then I went on a trip and it went out completely. The truck would have to rev to an incredibly high speed before it would shift out of first. On the way home I lost the ability to go in reverse as well, if I shifted to R I just went forward. Does anyone know what my problem could be? I have torn apart the transmission and don't see anything with much wear or damage. As I rebuild what parts do I need to replace to make sure everything is in working order when I put the trans back in?

I appreciate your help.

Back