2014 Explorer A/C blows warm and weak on passenger side, strong and cold on drivers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer A/C blows warm and weak on passenger side, strong and cold on drivers

kermit315

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
As the title states, the A/C in my wifes 2014 Explorer recently started blowing warm and weak on the passenger side dash vents and is still blowing cold and strong on the drivers side.

Any ideas or good places to look? I don't have tons of time available with this car as I live 6 hours away.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like it's on 'dual', with the passenger side temp turned up. If it's not that, then it might need a trip to the dealer.

Could be a blend door actuator issue. Could be something causing it to stick or a bad actuator that needs replacement. Not sure how many you have, but might be behind glovebox and/or closer to center of dash (behind radio). Parts aren't usually that expensive, but repair cost could be expensive depending on labor time and rate.

i have a 14 limited and the passenger ac blows hot air. Need some help. Can not afford to take it to the dealer right now and it’s hot here in so cal.

Is it only the passenger side, and is it only when it's on dual?

i have a 14 limited and the passenger ac blows hot air. Need some help. Can not afford to take it to the dealer right now and it’s hot here in so cal.
Sounds like you may have a blend door issue. I believe that is what Jon is trying to find out with his question. If so, there is an existing thread on the problem. Not much hasn't already been discussed in this Forum.

Peter

Is it only the passenger side, and is it only when it's on dual?

Jon, it is all the time. So would it be the blend door? Just found it strange since it’s only 4 years old.

Your thread was moved here.

Peter

Yes it's a blend door actuator. Replace it and you will be all set. Make sure you purchase the correct one if doing it yourself. It's about a 20-25 dollar part and you should be able to do it yourself. Search youtube.com as there are video's on this exact repair on an explorer. Hope this information helps.

Yes it's a blend door actuator. Replace it and you will be all set. Make sure you purchase the correct one if doing it yourself. It's about a 20-25 dollar part and you should be able to do it yourself. Search youtube.com as there are video's on this exact repair on an explorer. Hope this information helps.
If it is the blend door actuator that is the problem then there are videos here in the Forum on it: Clicking noise from dash (Blend Door Actuator) & DIY Repair

Peter

Did you ever get this fixed? I have replaced the blend door actuator on the passenger side like in the youtube vids where you pull the dash apart and kill your hands. That didn't fix it. Now all I get is full time extreme hot air out of the passenger side (vents, floor, and defrost) with or without the recirc on. I am at a loss. I don't mind doing the job again if I know that is the problem and maybe I got a bad actuator but I don't want to do it again and it's a different issue.

Is there something you need to do in order to calibrate it? In some cars a dead battery can put the blend door out of sync. Just happened in my Odyssey, driver's side was blowing full hot all the time. All it took was to lower the temp in each zone down to the coldest setting, then back up and everything was good to go. In my dad's Silverado you had to set the temp to min and run the car for 5 minutes or something. Maybe there is something similar on the Exploder.

Is there something you need to do in order to calibrate it? In some cars a dead battery can put the blend door out of sync. Just happened in my Odyssey, driver's side was blowing full hot all the time. All it took was to lower the temp in each zone down to the coldest setting, then back up and everything was good to go. In my dad's Silverado you had to set the temp to min and run the car for 5 minutes or something. Maybe there is something similar on the Exploder.
Haven't heard that before about the Explorer.

We tried all the way up, all the way down, defrost to vent to floor, holding climate control and one of the other buttons but it did nothing. We get straight heat on the passenger side no matter what.

We tried all the way up, all the way down, defrost to vent to floor, holding climate control and one of the other buttons but it did nothing. We get straight heat on the passenger side no matter what.

And your absolutely sure it was installed correctly with making sure it's pointing up and that the electrical connection was plugged in? Sorry, just have to ask.

And your absolutely sure it was installed correctly with making sure it's pointing up and that the electrical connection was plugged in? Sorry, just have to ask.

Well, I am 99.9% positive only because I question myself the same way you did. It can only go in one way so unless the plug didn't snap in all the way then it is installed correctly. Now this past weekend it switched to only blowing cold air. So it is literally going either all the way hot or all the way cold. No middle ground at all.

Back