• Register Today It's free!

ipozestu

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Mateo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sportie
I recieved my sway bar the other day. Finally got a chance to install it today. I just got back from running it through the motions. The motions sparked emotion as a sweet smile of satisfaction began to emerge. Two years ago I slapped on some edlebrock IAS shocks. Liked'em then love'em now. It is really nice to stiffen the back end. I would recommend this purchase. "Ok so you got the power, how the hell you going to keep it on the road?"

Big thanks to John V. and everyone at EE. I've made quite a few purchases and every one flawless.
Bravo :bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh ya! Love my sway! Tested my X on some sharp turns that I would normaly brake for and it handled it soo much better. Didn't feel like I was going to tip over and it stayed in the turn. I recommend the swaybar for anybody who's lookin to improve the handling of their ride.
Rules!

Ted

WOW!

Holy cow, that was amazingly simple! Even for a newbie like me that uninstall/install was easy :D I'm pretty sure everything that was supposed to be there was, the bushings, lube (hehe, luuuube :rolleyes: ), split collets... did I miss anything? Oh yea, and that hugely huge bar thing! OH MY GOD the new bar is huge! When I was taking the stock bar off, I could just use my hands to bend it to get it off the bolts. There is no way I can bend this new one, twice as thick and much heavier.

Haven't test driven with it yet, going out in a minute, will update later with performance summary.

Thanks for hooking us up with the group buy John, and thanks everyone else for participating, have fun with your (lack of) sway!

Extra parts

I have a 1992 4wd X and purchased the front and rear sway bars. The sway bar link rubber bushings were hard and dry so I went out locally to get replacement bushings before I started. To make a long story short, I could not find poly bushings in stock at any autopart stores in Atlanta so ordered them from EE. As soon as they get here I will then install the sway bars. If you have a 91-94 X and get these new sway bars, order the replacement link poly bushings while you are at it.

Michael

So, uh..How many Explorer owners DOES it take to install a rear sway bar? ;) :D

Much thanks to ExplorNJ and his pal for managing to work the bugger around my big ol' spare tire :)

Truck handles GREAT! Very little understeer now!

Attachments

• swaybar install.jpg
    swaybar install.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 254

ummmm, might I ask why u are jacking it up BY THE BUMPER ?????? lol

doesn't look to safe to me. LOL

I was tired when I posted that-sorry I forgot to explain...

ExplorNJ's garage sits on a slant and we were having a heck of a time getting the bar ends to line up with their bolt holes, so we put wheel chocks under the front wheels and jackstands under the proper lift points and used the hydraulic jack to lift the driver side up a little higher. No damage to my bumper since we used to pieces of wood to cushion it from the jack.

LOL- Come on, you guys think I'm crazy enough to get crushed my own Explorer? :D

never know with you, your truck might get mad and fight back :eek: :confused: :D :p

Isn't there a tow hook there on the sports? Looks like you put the jack under that.

you never said any thing about a picture with me in it, at least you got my good side :confused:

DAMN - seems like I did it the hard way.... all by myself on the rear. Though I snagged some help on the front :)

But boy was it worth it - those bars really do make a difference!!

I was working on an Isuzu Trooper today, and the swaybars on that thing looked like pencils. No Joke.

it would have been a one person job if the truck was on a flat surface but the truck was sitting alittle lower on the driver side so we had to jack the one side up to make it sit the way it is supposed to

to explain a little about this,........it is not a hard job on the ground. Since the job of the sway bar is to stop the bocy of the truck from swaying back and fourth wen u corner hard, you need to "un load" the suspention of the truck. You simply leave the truck on the ground and jack up the BODY to take the weight of the suspention. If you dont Un load the suspention it will be hard to bolt it up. Since we did Spas's truck on an un level drive way. we put the jack uncer the tow hook on the side that was lower. If you do it on a level drive way you would want to put the jack in the center of the truck.

The difference is night and day. Took a drive up through Spokane to Sandpoint, ID and back down through the Palouse wheat country to Walla Walla. Round trip was about 500mi w/ a mix of freeway 2 lane HW and some twisty stuff around the snake river. Haven't had that much fun on those roads since my 240Z. Why couldn't Ford build this from the factory? Glad EE did the work though!

Well the perpetual cold and rain in western PA. finally cut me a break this past weekend so I installed the swaybars. Installation was easy enough (but WD40 the bolts on the rear bar ahead of time) and the effect was super. I still have the winter tires (15") on and the handling was tight. If it's nice this weekend I'll go for the install of the Edlebrocks and put the 16"X8" MSW wheels/tires back on. The sway bars were a perfect item for the Explorer. It really makes you wonder why Ford did not make the larger bars for the "X". Explorer Express was great. Everything was delivered. My hat's off to them for being inovative enough to go with the larger sway bars since I do not believe anyone else out there makes bars this size. It's one of the best add ons. The Mrs. really feels safer driving the "X" in the twisty roads of the burgh now. Wish I would have put them on years ago.
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Your welcome for the group buy :)

Back