silverstar disapointment - failed after 11 days | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

silverstar disapointment - failed after 11 days

Got my silverstar fog light bulbs for christmas and i have been totally physced about them. Noticed today that one of them bit the bullet after only 11 days of use. I took all the percatutions to not touch them when putting them in. Its not the wiring to the fog light harness either...its the bulb

calling sylvania in the morning. Very very dissapointed right now.. but i understand that these things do happen...just had to vent a little

~Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by explr1
The harness is meant for high wattage bulbs like the ones I have, Hella 55/100's. It won't do squat for stock wattage ones, or help the Silverstars.
That's wrong, it's designed for stock lights.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Either way it didnt do anything for the SilverStars.

Thanks for telling us about their LOUSY service! I just crossed them off of my list of upgrades!

There was an issue with one run of the 893 ST product. That issue has been corrected and new product is being manufactured. This product is not made in the New Hampshire facility so it will take a little while to get the new stuff. When that is in, I assume you will be taken care of, quickly. Until then be patient.

UPDATE:
I'm sorry I am just generally displeased with sylvania. When i last called which was around the 20th of january they said the product was on backorder and its made in europe blah blah,, that it would be at least 4 weeks...ok..i can wait...so the guy put me on a list and took my email address down, and told me when they come in I will be on of the first ones to get them. OK sounded good.

called today 3/1 to see what was up...its been about 4 1/2 weeks and i just wanted to see whats going on.. the lady told me they had just pushed the expected date by 7 more weeks :mad: WHATS THAT?!!!
So were they even planning on getting a hold of the people who were antispating replacements?! wouldn't that be the logical thing, i knwo they have my email the guy took it down last time i called...whats the use in getting contact information from someone if your not going to use it!?!
i guess not i would ended up just waiting until april or may for mine.

Very very displeased with them.

EliteConcept,
I am sorry for the delay. This a new change in timing and we are going to send a note to everyone. You just called in right before that.

I, too, have found the Silverstars to be a waste of money. And expo is correct, some of the bulbs you can get off ebay are much cheaper and do a better job.

UPDATE:
noblebc whats up man? Its been 5 weeks so far since the SECOND extention...should i expect my bulbs soon? i sure hope so.

The last date I was given was April 23rd when the lights should arrive so we can start sending them out. Nothing has changed that date as of right now. Thanks for the patience. I hate this as much as you because I also need them for my vehicle.

As for quality manufacturers, look into PIAA. They cost a bit, but when one blew in my father's car because of DRL after only 3 or 4 weeks, they replaced it for free. They even sent me the new bulb before I had to send the broken bulb back. A+ in my opinion.

Just to follow that up, I would put SYLVANIA at the top of the class with quality and customer service. The 893 ST has been delayed due to timing but other than that we have and will stand by all products. Silverstars that burn out with in the first year will be replaced, along with other products. I wish the 893 ST did not have this long delay but circumstances have resulted in this. When the product arrives it will get sent out immediately.

thanks for the update...i'm anxiously awaiting them...talk about a LATE CHRISTMAS present (since thats what they were)...

i have another question..
if i logged a complaint and am on the list to recieve a replacements will i recieve 2 or just 1?

reason being i purchased both bulbs at the same time...and if there was a problem with many of them as you have stated, then LOGICALLY I SHOULD recieve 2 replacements.

In most situations two will be sent out.

Silverstars are a waist of money. They are ok on dark back country roads, but in the dim lite city it's like you don't have them on. I went back to PIAA's even though the low beams burnt out on my last pair after two years.

I heard that a lot of people have had problems with the SS fog lamps... something about the coating flaking off of them? I don't know anyone who has experienced problems with the headlamps, just foglamps... I think Sylvainna messed something up. My .02....

wondering if those 893's came in yet

As for the headlights, there have been other members who have had their PIAA low beams burn out. It seems to be on X's with DRL. I disconnected the DRL module, and have had no more problems since.

UPDATE 4-30-03
finally got some replacements. I recieved 2..which made me very happy.
now to see if these will last longer than 11 days..

Probably will if you dont rub them all over with your hands. :rolleyes:
LOL.......

good tip: if you happen to touch glass just use a little rubbing alcohol in a kleenex
(instead of trowing out the bulb or stealing purple gloves!)

Back