Look at what I've been up to... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Look at what I've been up to...

Just got done changing all my interiors to white LED. I bought 100 LED's on eBay for $20, 100 resistors for $2.00, and the bread board from Radioshack for $3.00. There is A LOT more light than stock, and I think it turned out pretty well. The LED's show up purplish in the pictures, but are almost white in person, still a hint of blue.

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 932
  • led1.jpg
    led1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 938
  • led2.jpg
    led2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 918

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, that looks sweet and 100 for under $2 is awesome. i just might have to do this...well, if i can ever find time that is...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would love to see a good picture of how the board is mounted inside the console. Does the board just sit in the cups or is it mounted in there by itself? Can you show that? A daytime picture would be most awesome. I have a whole overhead console sitting here on my desk all torn apart just trying to figure out how I need to mount the board in. It's pretty simple to see how to wire them up and that part, but the actual install of the board with the bulbs is what I need, ya got anything like that?

I just hotglued some corners of each board to the console.

OK, so you illiminated the reflectors all togeather, correct? For some that don't understand what part I am talking about is the silver cup that reflects the light back down into the vehicle. Cause with the cup reflector out, it leaves more room to play with for sure.

No. I attached them under the reflector cup. It may look like there isn't much room there but there's enough.

Would you mind making some sets for me? I dont want to go throught the trouble of buying too much **** that i dont need and dont know how to use. Besides u have some LED's left over right?? let me know.

Honestly I don't want to go through the hassle of making more sets. I don't like soldering small components so this was tedious for me. I can sell you what all I have left for a good price though.

Nah, thanks tho. Thats why I was asking; I dont know how to solder or whatnot to make stuff. not a real handyman. cant blame me for asking.

BTW: looks awesome.

huskyfan, watcha want for enough stuff to make enough for my car?

How's $10 shipped 2-3 Priority sound? I have 52 LED's (2 have legs cut shorter) and 52 resistors, as well as a 4.5" x 6" breadboard square.

Looking great, I sent you a PM

I bought some from the same place on ebay. This was a very good idea. Thanks huskyfan23. This is a great improvement over stock. I didn't use breadboard though, I just used the stock light housing for the front, made my own for the back and I haven't done the middle yet. Thanks again

LOL, I am still just trying to figure out exactly how I want to do this. I went to Radio Shack and AutoZone and couldn't find what I needed, as in a pre-packaged set. But I will go to a RS and find someone who knows what is going on that can help me with my plans. What confused me the most was that the LED's came in different voltage, but none were 12v. So what do you do? Did you use a different voltage to get them all to work togeather or what?

Mine are 12V. Your best bet is buying off the internet. RadioShack charges like $3.00 per 2 LED's. eBay has great prices on them.

Husky, how did you do a search to find them? I went to ebay for lights and came up with a billion, but nothing in LED's. Is there something particular that I am looking for, like 12v bulbs but what about the resistors'? Maybe I am making this harder than it really is, but just want to get the right stuff and not burn my truck down when I plug all of this in after doing the mods and stuff.

If I did the same type of setup as you Husky, but use the blue LED's instead, do you think the would be bright enough to still read maps and stuff?
I have read under blue & low-level lighting before, I'm a submarine veteran, and sometimes we only had blue lights on or what was call low-level-black lighting, which was a flourescent buld with a charcoal-colored filter wrapped around it.
So, would the bright blue be sufficient for occasional maps/directions reading?

I look at that and it is so confusing, LOL. 8,000 this and 12,000 that, 5v here and 2.5 there. I have no idea what all of this means. Is it the higher number, the brighter it is? And what about the voltage?

Search for 5000mcd white. I bought the 5mm LED's.

Back