1996 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer

1. C

Dumb teenager question

So I have a 1996 Ford Explorer xlt 2wd and I wanna lift it pretty high for cheap and maybe fab some stuff just listen to my idea for the front so 3” torsion keys halfway up with a half inch metal plate sitting above it also 4” lifted spindles once the spindles are in I’m gonna have bad angles...
  2. Z

Ford Explorer Issues

Hi, this is my first time posting to a car forum, sorry if I sound ignorant about cars or anything. I recently started having issues with my ford explorer, it is a 4.0L V6 4WD 1996 Ford Explorer. It started when I took my car home for the holidays, the transmission was slipping a little bit...
  3. D

Fuel leak - 96 Explorer Sport

Hello, I recently started noticing a fuel leak in my 96 Explorer Sport, which is constant when I'm driving, and stops when the car is turned off. Got the official warning when I took it in for an oil change last week; the tech noticed and alerted me quickly, and that it is dangerous to drive...
  4. J

'96 Won't Start After Warming Up

Hello Everyone, I have an annoying issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. My 1996 Explorer XLT decides it doesn't want to start after being driven for 30 mins or more. Now this problem only lasts till it cools down say 20 mins or so. But if I drive it a ways, shut it off, then immediately...
  5. I

1996 Explorer EGR Valve repair

Hello! So I've had a longstanding engine warning light stuck on my dash for awhile that will, every so now and then, turn off for a little bit but eventually turn back on again. One of my friends has a spare ODBII reader so I borrowed that from him to check it out. I believe it read P0401...
  6. 7

96 explorer horn stuck

I was replacing the cruise control switches on a 96 explorer and had the horn switches out and all and now when I put it back together if the bolts holding the center on are any tighter than finger tight the horn goes off the second I touch the negative cable to the terminal, I can't find...
  7. 9

Lift on 1996 2WD Ford Explorer

What lifts am I looking at if I want to do around 2-4" on my 1996 2WD Ford Explorer XLT with a V6 4.0L. I am considering anything from economy little trick ones to full on body lift packages. New to this off roading world. I know very little so bare with me please. Thanks.
  8. J

Rear Axle Vibration

Hi I have a 1996 explorer XL with 173000 kms on it and i haved noticed that RARELY there is a vibration somewheres in the rear end or tires. It doesn't vibrate for long its probably a second or two and its the same vibration as if you where to drive over the safety bumps on this side of the...
  9. A

Largest Tire Possible 96' Explorer XLT

I'm looking to put some big tires on my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. What is the largest possible tire size I can put on if I'm just using the stock suspension?
  10. A

My First Car: 1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Hey guys, I'm so glad to have stumbled across this site. The amount of knowledge and helpfulness from this community is humbling. Anyway, I've been driving my family's 96' Explorer XLT since I got my license in high school. I'm a competitive rock climber and I've been living out of the back...
  11. M

Trimming to fit tires

I recently bought a set of terra grapplers from a friend so I bought some wheels for them and when I put them on my truck I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel all the way. I would have to trim some of the bottom of the fender to make them fit. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions...
  12. B

1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 Transmission Stuck In Drive

Hi, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer and the transmission is stuck in drive. The gear selector moves, but the transmission doesn't respond. It is drive no matter where you put the selector. Still drives fine, all gears shift out. Please help!! I have been thinking it is a linkage/cable issue. Thanks...
  13. S

Help with parasitic draw

I have a 1996 Explorer, 4 door, 5.0 V-8, and am on my 4th battery this year. The draw what was thought to be a bad stock of batteries was concluded to be parasitic, just got a multi meter. I have 2.40+ to .70 draw coming from 60amp IP Fuse Panel "fuse" Does anyone else have any experience on...
  14. T

Joined to get some help!!! 1996 explorer

Hello, I'm new to this and am wondering if I can get advice on my problem. A few months ago my 1996 explorer XLT V8 broke down. My neighbor hooked it up to One of the handheld devices that gives you a diagnostic code. It showed a code for a bad EGR Valve, and a position sensor. I bought a new...
  15. K

1996 Explorer AC blows hot

I am trying t fix my son's friend's Explorer. The coolant pressure is good. The compressor clicks on and then back off again. Any help out there on this issue? I have read some about the blend door failing. I am going to check that next. A simple fix would be great...
  16. B

Wtb:running boards for 96 explorer

17. M

96 ford Front Differential not engaging

Has any one ever had a problem with their 4 wheel drive to where once 4 wheel auto or low is selected the transfer case engages but the front wheels do not? I can spin the one wheel and that other spins. No noise when I drive the vehicle. This has caught me off guard this winter. I'm...
  18. S

1996 Explorer E-Brake Pedal Stuck

Hello All, So today I took my 1996 Explorer out for a drive after it has been sitting for a few months. It started right up and rode as if I drove it everyday. This was my first new truck and I have some attachment issues, but now for the problem. This Explorer is manual so I always set...
  19. Z

Ford Explorer factory subwoofer help is needed.

whats up everyone?? im new to the whole explorer community and i was wonderin if i could get some input from you guys. alright well i have a 96 ford explorer with the premium jbl audio setup. when i bought my explorer the rear sub was blown so im planning on gutting the whole side panel and...
  20. B

Installing shocks - 2wd Sport

Everyone talks about compressing their shocks to get them in, but my KYB GR-2's that I am told match my model (96 sport 2wd 4.0) are too short. I have to jack up the A-arm and the shock is still fully extended. I'm half tempted to attach the lower bolts and nuts then do the top...
  21. J

Rookie needs advice with trailer relays.

How hard would it be for me to change the "left trailer turn" relay in my 1996 ford explorer sport? I don't claim to be a mechanic. Is this a task that I could do?
Back