96 ford Front Differential not engaging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 ford Front Differential not engaging

m96explorer

Reaction score
Has any one ever had a problem with their 4 wheel drive to where once 4 wheel auto or low is selected the transfer case engages but the front wheels do not? I can spin the one wheel and that other spins. No noise when I drive the vehicle. This has caught me off guard this winter. I'm thinking it the actuator on the diff. I can here the valve that controls the vacuum for the actuator click but no engagement. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe through (atleast part of) the '96 model year they had a vacuum-disconnect on the passenger side axle tube.

the vacuum (motor?) may have died, or bad wiring, etc.

I believe through (atleast part of) the '96 model year they had a vacuum-disconnect on the passenger side axle tube.

the vacuum (motor?) may have died, or bad wiring, etc.

Other thing could be a broken part in the mechanism within which connects and disconnects the axles from the ring gear. Sounds less likely than vacuum problem, though, IMO.....imp

is the abs light on ?
does the heater change from the defrost to the dash vents ??
answer either of these yes and it means something, post
and i will explain,,

i have been thru the ringer with mine, it's a 96

Thanks for the information. Where can I go to purchase one of these? Are they dealer/junkyard only or would auto parts store carry them. As I think I mention that I can hear the vacuum control valve clicking under the hood on the passenger side. But cannot feel any movement on the actuator on the diff. Does anyone know how I can check to see if the valve is functioning correctly? If measure the vacuum from the engine how much should there be which would help me determine if I have a cracked line somewhere.

No ABS light, no change in heat to defrost Although I do have a a problem with both 4 wheel drive and 4 low lights flashing then my power windows quit working. I summed that up to an electrical short or an ecm flipping out.

wait... what do you mean by this?

I can spin the one wheel and that other spins.

do you mean if you lift both tires off the ground, and you spin one wheel, the opposite side also rotates?

Sorry about that typo. What I meant to say is. When I select 4wd the front tire will not spin (engage) but the drive shaft from the transfer case is engage. As I cannot rotate it. But if I put it back in to 2wd then it rotates. I did jack up one side of the vehicle with it in 4wd and the front wheel just spun freely. Which in my mind tells me the axles are not engaged but if I jack up the other side and spin one of the tires the other one spins backwards just as they are suppose to.

the front has an open diff and the drivers side is usually the one that gets the power.
i would get down where the vacuum lines go into the diff part for the vacuum lines and make sure they are connected,,

Have already check the lines to to best of my knowledge. They are attached. But don't know if the unit is getting vacuum to the big black ball look device under the air cleaner intake hose.

Back