06 EB Stalls when raining/wet | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 EB Stalls when raining/wet

06EBMG

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
Sunday the wife called me while she was out at the grocery store. She said that the X stalled out on her while approaching a stop sign. By the time I got there she had gotten the X started (took her about 5 minutes of on again/off again cranking) and was idling in a nearby parking lot. I had my scanner with me but no codes were stored. It was raining. Whatever got wet and caused it to stall had dried out by then I suppose.
One week prior to this I ran the X through the car wash. When I pulled out of the wash the wrench light came on. I stopped and re-installed my antenna and grabbed my scanner. I plugged it in and was heading over to an adjacent parking lot to check it out. I made it about 30 feet before the X stalled out on me. It would restart and immediately die again. I ended up pushing the X across the street into the parking lot so I could scan for codes. I did not write them down, because I was on my lunch break and in a hurry, but I had two codes stored for throttle position A/B performance and throttle position open circuit. I cleared the codes and the X started right up like nothing happened and I drove back to work.
So, at this point I know it has something to do with something getting wet. I have not dug into the issue yet but am going to today when I get off of work. I am curious as to whether or not any members here have run into a similar issue (or the exact same one) and what they found. I am hoping to get a head start on the diagnostics. I am pretty sure that the throttle body itself is find as I have no issues when the weather is nice.
Thank you to anyone who offers or has any insight into what may be causing my issue here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:
I decided to take a look at the throttle body harness connector on my lunch break. Low and behold, the insulation had deteriorated to the point that I had bare, exposed wiring. The connector for the throttle body on the 4.0L is right at the firewall. When running through the carwash or during a heavy rain, water would drip down onto the harness connector, causing an open circuit and making the truck go into limp mode. I repaired the harness and re-wrapped it then ran it through a carwash to test everything out. No more stalling. While I was at it, I decided to take a look at all of the harness connectors I could find. I also found the MAF connector and coil pack connector insulation worn through as well. Geez. I repaired those connectors too. Hopefully this will be the end of my stalling issues for quite a while.
A thank you to Explorer_PL for his "ghost in the machine" write-up. I found it doing a search and thought it was worth a shot to check the harness connectors. Sure enough, I had the same issue he had with his V8 Explorer. The first time this happened to me I had throttle position codes, second time the codes had cleared by the time I got to the truck. I figured might as well start at the throttle body.
For all of you 4th gen owners out there, be sure to check this on your rigs. Even the 2010's are nearly 9 years old now. Might save you a breakdown on the side of the road.

Glad you got it sorted out. Mine experienced these same issues after going through a car wash, but also at other times. Once I had the dealer replace the throttle body "pigtails" as they called them, the issues never reoccurred...knock wood!

The "ghost" post was from "Bobmbx" so he gets the credit and thanks :chug: but I probably posted something similar since my harnesses are also crumbling.

Don't forget to check the fan connector. If you are hearing roaring, you probably have an issue there as well.

Don't forget to check the fan connector. If you are hearing roaring, you probably have an issue there as well.

Luckily, the fan clutch connector is good to go. I inspected every connector I could see and get to while I was in there. Just found the 3 that had the insulation peeling back. Hopefully I will be good to go for a while. :burnout:

mine was getting a really bad misfire from hole #2 when ever it rained for a really long time and the humidity was high it would clear up after engine got to temp but by then my CEL was on I found that my #2 boot was cracked and the other 5 were not far behind they were definitely the stock wires from 2007 but they really went downhill since I changed the plugs 4 years ago

I have a similar issue with my 2008 X. Drive through a car wash, or spray down the engine, the engine immediately stalls when put in drive. Engine starts good, no idle issues, but will not rev over 3000rpm. If I cycle the 4x4 to low and back to 4x4 auto, the stalling ends and I can drive with no issues. I am inclined to think the lock-up torque converter does not disengage while wet. Valve body solenoids were replace earlier this year along with a fluid change and what ever adjustments the trans shop performed. Looking for ideas to fix this issue. I think silcon sealer on the trans connections may remedy my issue. ANyones thoughts?

Back