1991 Ranger with 4.0 swap No Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Ranger with 4.0 swap No Start

mymmeryloss

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Ranger
So I had to register to get this all figured out. I've been dealing with this problem for about a year now and its carshow season and I need to get this damn thing running.

1991 ranger, complete custom minitruck with a 4.0 91 explorer swap. Cluster lights not working so cant pull cels. Wiring has been tucked under dash. Replaced all relays on power distribution block. Fuel pump primes, have pressure on the rail. New coil pack. New crank position sensor. No spark from plugs.

Im lost. I have trouble getting help doing diagnostics, so i admit i havent been able to test everything since im doing all of this alone. Not sure where to go from here.

Truck cranks and cranks but no start. Ran fine until last year. Thought it was fuel pump or relays but pump primes just not getting spark. Ford does not carry the relays for this truck anymore so im stuck with napa and autozone.

Battery is charged. No other issues from what i can tell. Could it just be bad plugs? Please help!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be looking at the ICM. (Ignition Control Module)

You can pull codes using a scan tool......there cheap these days.

There's no way to directly test the ICM however you may get a PIP loss code from the PCM. This is a touchy one on these because the ICM sends "limp mode" fault once only, however since you have a no start my guess is the ICM has failed completely OR it's not powered, yata yata

Gonna need those codes!!......

There's no way to directly test the ICM however you may get a PIP loss code from the PCM. This is a touchy one on these because the ICM sends "limp mode" fault once only, however since you have a no start my guess is the ICM has failed completely OR it's not powered, yata yata

What is the difference in the icm and pcm?

Im having a buddy come over after breakfast to lend me a hand.

I was hoping it wasnt a computer issue but was leaning that way as well. Thanks for the feedback!

icm: ignition control module. supplies power and pulse to the coil pack to fire the plugs.
pcm: computer. controls timing advance and supplies power and pulse for the injectors.

So i replaced the icm. I now have spark.

We checked for fuel and came to the conclusion that there is water in the fuel. Drained the tank and flushed the lines. Have power to the injectors and nothing. Truck will fire with starting fluid.

Any ideas?

Codes:

code:
10; not listed
16; ignition diagnostic module
; ignition diagnostic monitor signal not received
67; neutral drive or clutch switch or circuit failure
85; canp circuit failure
95; fuel pump circuit open- eca to motor ground

:yelexp:
code:
10; not listed
16; ignition diagnostic module
; ignition diagnostic monitor signal not received
67; neutral drive or clutch switch or circuit failure
85; canp circuit failure
95; fuel pump circuit open- eca to motor ground

I know what the codes mean. I need to know what to fix to make it run. This doesnt make sense to me.

With codes 85 and 95 I would check for loose plugs by the fuel tank.

My thoughts on those codes:

1st the 10: This is how many code readers report the "separator pulse" that separates the KOEO and CM codes. See my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" in the EEC-IV subforum if you need further discussion on the difference between KOEO and CM. I am going to assume this is the case here, so all codes before the 10 are KOEO codes and all codes after the 10 are CM codes.

KOEO 67. This is usually an "operator error" code -- most commonly on manual transmissions. The PCM expects to see the manual transmission in neutral, but the operator performs the test with the transmission in gear. Repeat test with transmission in N. If the fault still exists (or you know for certain that the test was performed with the trans in N), then test the Neutral position circuit.
On automatic transmissions, this refers to the Park/Neutral circuit. Again, the PCM expects to see the transmission in P or N. If it cannot see P/N at the time of the test, this codes is set.
In your case, where you have replaced the engine, it is also possible that something did not get connected up correctly.

KOEO 16 IDM fault. I am less familiar with this code on the EDIS system on the Explorers. I would see this code (and similar codes) on my BII with the TFI-IV ignition system and the problems that it had. Assuming the Explorer's EDIS system is similar, the IDM signal is part of the communication between the ICM and the PCM. Is this code from after the ICM swap or before, or both? Do you have access to a good manual that can explain the IDM signal? I am not immediately familiar with it, but this seems like a very good place to start when working on a "no-start due to no spark" issue.
Someone mentioned good power and ground to the ICM -- have you verified these?

KOEO 85. Indicates an open or short to ground in the Cannister purge solenoid circuit. Should be easy to diagnose, but probably has next to nothing to do with a no start.

CM 95. Indicates an intermittent (note the absence of a corresponding KOEO fuel pump code) fault in the fuel pump circuit. With all that has been done on this, I would be tempted to clear CM and see if/when this code comes back -- assuming the fuel pump is running and generating sufficient pressure. Of course, an intermittent open in the fuel pump circuit will cause a no start if it ever prevents the pump from running.

Code interpretation is incorrect:

Code 16 for trucks is: rpm to high or to low to perform HEGO test (O2 sensors)

Code 67 for trucks is: A/c clutch switch fault

Code 85 is correct : canister purge circuit failure

Code 95 is Fuel pump secondary circuit failure

So aside from code 16 witch means nothing running on ether.

You would appear to have a wiring issue.

Note: the wires for the canister purge and the a/c clutch are in the same harness drivers side near the a/c compressor.

For the fuel pump secondary (which will not cause a no-start) most likely a bad relay or corrosion on the back of the power distribution block.

Corrosion on the bottom side of the power distribution block is where I would look next to sort out the wiring issues.

None of the above codes will cause a no-start so you still have a basic fuel/spark issue not revealed by the fault codes.

I had these codes before here are my fix for these, code 16 it was a ICM faulty I ended up getting a new ICM also check if you are getting good ground to the computer and the ICM.
For code 95 it was the fuel pump relay was bad that it could make good pressure when turning on the key but when u crank the engine losses pressure did never start.
I Hope it helps.

Ohm'd all injectors. Right at 16 ohms on all injectors. Also have a good ground and power to injectors. They just aren't firing.

Thinking i may have a pcm problem. Also want to get better matching relays. I have been looking on rockauto but there are a few differences in some of them and im not sure which ones to get.

Thanks for all of the help!

if the icm is receiving voltage @ pins 4&5 from the crank sensor and there is pip signal @ pin (4?) then I would look to the pcm

I'm having the exact same issue with my 86 merkur xr4ti. I will be watching this thread.

Ok now that I feel that I am just throwing parts at this hoping it will fix itself--

I have bought a new pcm. Double checked the battery to make sure it is still good. Plugged the pcm in. Reconnected the battery. Turn the key. Hear fuel pump prime and relay click. Truck still will not fire. Just cranks and cranks. I have pressure at the rail and smells like good gas. Y would the injectors still not be firing? What else controls them?

This truck is starting to piss me off...

if the icm is receiving voltage @ pins 4&5 from the crank sensor and there is pip signal @ pin (4?) then I would look to the pcm

What is the pip? Im having trouble finding info on it?

pip= profile ignition pick up signal. simplified, this is the icm telling the pcm the coil is ready to fire and the pcm can now operate the injectors to add fuel. the pcm then sends back a spark out (spout) signal to the icm to adjust timing of the coil firing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back