1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 4R70W Transmission swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 4R70W Transmission swap

FiremanDave

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I bought a Haynes manual for this truck. The forward clutches are worn in the factory installed transmission, and I'm swapping it for a transmission I was given by a friend (I live in the sticks and the closest transmission shop is 60 miles out). The manual says to remove the starter, then remove the converter housing cover. I have never done a transmission job in my life, so I'm lost. Google isn't helping except for leading me to this site. Can anyone describe the "converter housing cover" so I know just what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't looked under a 5 liter explorer but I believe what you are looking for as Haynes so badly worded it is an access plate on the bellhousing to get at the nuts that attach the trans to the flexplate (kind of like a flywheel on a manual transmission). It should be held on by several small bolts and when removed you can rotate the crankshaft to gain access to each nut.

Haven't looked under a 5 liter explorer but I believe what you are looking for as Haynes so badly worded it is an access plate on the bellhousing to get at the nuts that attach the trans to the flexplate (kind of like a flywheel on a manual transmission). It should be held on by several small bolts and when removed you can rotate the crankshaft to gain access to each nut.

The only thing that might be considered an access plate on the bellhousing is a rubber plug at the back of the torque converter. There's a small plate on the driver's side of the engine/transmission connection that has two bolts holding it in, but I can't quite see it too well without being a contortionist.

That might be it. is it on the engine side of the bellhousing? Maybe someone with a 5.0 could chime in here?

Converter housing cover

The converter housing cover is attached to the bottom of the separator plate between the motor and the transmission. It's a small plate with a cheesy edge gasket and is only held on with two screws. It gives you access for draining the torque converter.

Good luck switching that tranny.

Back