1998 explorer not shifting into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer not shifting into gear

gavinmoore3129

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 4.0
About a week ago I took my explorer off-roading.It was the second time I used used the four wheel drive. I got the RPMs to about 3500-4000. For the last week the O/D off light has been flashing on and off. Today the light finally went off for some reason when I was driving, I never noticed anything different when I was driving when the light was flashing. Soon after the light went off my car began to miss shift and within minutes my car wasn't shifting gears at all. I've already checked my transmission fluid and it seems fine. I disconnected my battery for about an hour then reconnected it and got my car to go into reverse and into first gear but within five minutes it wouldn't even move. I'm just confused if I need to have my transmission replaced or if it's something less costly. Any recommendations are helpful. Thank you.

When the O/D light is flashing, there are stored trouble codes that help diagnose the problem. Erasing them by disconnecting the battery wasn't the smartest move, but it's very likely that the codes are back, even if the light is not flashing (yet). If you want to do some troubleshooting, you'll have to get a scanner that's capable of reading transmission codes.

For the last week the O/D off light has been flashing on and off.
I disconnected my battery for about an hour then reconnected it and got my car to go into reverse and into first gear but within five minutes it wouldn't even move...

Back