2006 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer

Dual exhaust(not true dual)would be nice still. Does it get a Navigation option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

F14CRAZY said:
F the auto tranny. It needs a sticker

Well, I would put it a bit more delicately, but those are my sentiments, too. However, we will never again see a stick in the Explorer. You can't even get one in the Escape, unless you buy the 2.3L base model. Here are the only SUV's available with sticks: Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape XLS, 2.3L, Nissan Xterra, Honda CRV, Subaru 2.5L Forester, Outback, and Baha (I know, wagons, not true SUV's). Sadly, 95% of SUV buyers will only drive an automatic. I'll probably join them when I get "old". In the meantime, I'll keep the Ex running. I want to getit at least 20 years out of it.

Bob

why because serious off roaders are not buying explorers,, as some call soccer moms. which i highly debate...
probably higher than 95% especially with New SUV'S
My wife drives my 2002 every other wee and she could never ever drive a standard. not many ladies would want to drive a standard transmission especially any one spending that ridiculious money for a new one weather it is an explorer escape or anyoher one..
Just my 2 cents and do not yell at me for hating standard transmisions... I used to have onewhen i had my mustangs but my opinion that is the only good thing standards are for are sports cars..

As said before, dealers should oush soccer moms into Freestyles and add more off road capability back to the Ex. Will it happen? Nope.

why do people generalize with the term sooccer moms???
because many people want slight off road ability and also a nice ride with very nice interior????
what do people want Eplorers to come with 33 inch tires so we can all get back into the explorers rolling over thing that is associated with older explorers thank god they changed the design and made a lower center off gravity. so they can finally get rid of that tag....
if you want a better ride for a brand new explorer or others you have to give up some things including a stiff leaf spring suspension you know what i mean ...
I would want all my future vehickles to ride mike my new explorer....who says that you can not lift it or do what ever uou want with it

Attachments

• xz.jpg
    xz.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 279

All the more I wish I was lucky and ended up with a '93 4 door 4x4 sticker Eddie Bauer (dream truck right there)

i dont know, i kinda am starting to dig the lifted style of the newer x's. But on the other hand, the PLASTIC,, has got to go for the front bumper, hope it's painted on the newer models comming out,, what do u all think?

its painted on the xlt I think but not the xls.

Bwana Bob said:
Well, I would put it a bit more delicately, but those are my sentiments, too. However, we will never again see a stick in the Explorer.

Attachments

• 5speed.jpg
    5speed.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 247

No argument from me.

No, David, we have no quarrel. There was a time when a stick gave better gas mileage and a real performance edge. This is still true, but only in small cars with 2 liter engines. Now, its just a matter of personal preference and driving style. Most people, male or female prefer automatics these days. I see very few manual transmissions, even in "sporty" cars. When I bought my Ex way back in 1992, the salesman told me that only 10% of the Explorers were being made with manual transmissions. I prefer a stick. Will I always want a stick? Maybe not, but I would like to have a choice.

Regarding off-road capability, I don't go off road, except for the occasional dirt or gravel, so I don't need or want a lift. Some people do. However, I do feel that a vehicle that is designed to be off road capable will be better able to withstand the potholes and road hazards we have here in Jersey, plus the snow and ice.

Regarding the 2006 Explorer, we'll all just have to wait and see. I'm still a big Exporer fan. Do I like all the changes? No. Do I think its still one of the best 4X4's available? Yes.

Bob

I wonder why they would get rid of the soccer mom rear loading height. Once again we will had to lift those bad boys to get them in back there. I hope the glass wont rattle like a....... I think it looks cleaner this way.

not sure i cant really tell that much of a diff from the back end of the current models vs. the new 06 style. Like the front as long as it will be color keyed. What's the thought on it for you all now?!

dtl 2k2 sport said:
not sure i cant really tell that much of a diff from the back end of the current models vs. the new 06 style. Like the front as long as it will be color keyed. What's the thought on it for you all now?!

The 02 up had lower reach over to load groceries (they call it shopping cart height) and when you open it you have to lift metal. See where the blue oval is, thats where the split was. With this setup they have moved back to all glass.

Garth said:
The 02 up had lower reach over to load groceries (they call it shopping cart height) and when you open it you have to lift metal. See where the blue oval is, thats where the split was. With this setup they have moved back to all glass.

it was actualy plastic and they had a problem with it cracking. this is a better way to do it IMO.

I like the look of it too. I just hope it dont rattle like the one I have now.

You mean Ford has painted plastic for the rear liftgate?

Garth said:
I like the look of it too. I just hope it dont rattle like the one I have now.

You mean Ford has painted plastic for the rear liftgate?

yes that part connected to the windows on 02-05s....geuss what ;) its plastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will the 2006 have the 4.0 L with a 6 speed tranny, or will the 6 speed only be for the V8? How about a manual trans?

Bob

Back