Solved - 2006 Ford Explorer. Won’t crank. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 2006 Ford Explorer. Won’t crank.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

armie

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 explorer limted V8 2x4
Hey guys my 4.0 Explorer rwd won’t crank my battery works the lights windows everything works I tapped the starter with a hammer a lot of times still nothing it only makes a clicking sound pls help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I know if the really is okay

If the battery is good and its just clicking it sounds like the relay to me. Also check the terminals and grounds.

As others have said, check the starter. Also, check your anti theft light on top of the dash board. If it's flashing rapidly after you try and crank it the problem lays within the anti theft system. I had both of these problems with my 07. The key randomly lost programming and the truck would not start, it was throwing a code that said "theft detected, vehicle immobilized". Had to call an auto locksmith to come and reprogram my key. Not fun.

Tired battery or dirty terminals. Try a jump start to help diagnose this. If jumping does the trick , this shows the current getting to starter motor is too low ( without the jump) to get it spinning.

If the battery is good and its just clicking it sounds like the relay to me. Also check the terminals and grounds.
I found out the problem what is was basically since I park my explorer on a hill I would first hold the brake after I shifted to park from other gears and set the e brake then I would let go of the brake pedal so the whole weight of my truck wouldn't be on the transmission gear it would be on the e brake too but my explorer thought the transmission was in between gears and therefore wouldn't start so the transmission wouldn't get destroyed I learned that its just better to put it in park then set the e brake unfortunately.

As others have said, check the starter. Also, check your anti theft light on top of the dash board. If it's flashing rapidly after you try and crank it the problem lays within the anti theft system. I had both of these problems with my 07. The key randomly lost programming and the truck would not start, it was throwing a code that said "theft detected, vehicle immobilized". Had to call an auto locksmith to come and reprogram my key. Not fun.
I found out the problem what is was basically since I park my explorer on a hill I would first hold the brake after I shifted to park from other gears and set the e brake then I would let go of the brake pedal so the whole weight of my truck wouldn't be on the transmission gear it would be on the e brake too but my explorer thought the transmission was in between gears and therefore wouldn't start so the transmission wouldn't get destroyed I learned that its just better to put it in park then set the e brake unfortunately.

Tired battery or dirty terminals. Try a jump start to help diagnose this. If jumping does the trick , this shows the current getting to starter motor is too low ( without the jump) to get it spinning.

Connect a test light to the output terminal of the relay then crank the starter. You should have power on the test light.

Did you check the starter relay on the inner fender wall? Check to see if there's any power at the starter when you crank it.

Back