2013 Explorer tire pressure sensor retraining | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer tire pressure sensor retraining

Hi,

2013 XLT 2WD, 96K miles. Have tried to look through all applicable posts and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Had the Tire Pressure Sensor Fault error show up recently. All tires have good pressure. Looked on this site, YouTube videos and saw a guy with a 2013 F150 let out air pressure to get horn to honk so figured that should work for an Explorer. However, have seen other videos saying some vehicles won't retrain by letting air out and you have to buy the retraining tool. I tried letting the air out of the left front and didn't get a honk after about 15 seconds. I heard that the longer it takes to honk the weaker the battery, but also heard batteries should go about 150K and closer to 10 years. Does anyone know, with certainty, if the 2013 can or cannot be retrained by letting air out? Assuming if it can retrain letting air out, at least the left front sensor is bad.

Thanks for any assistance on this one.

I work for Goodyear and see this all the time. Most TPMS sensors battery life is about 5-7 years. Do you have access to a scan tool? Try reading the sensors to see if one is going bad. Most Ford's usually reset themselves.

Back