• Register Today It's free!

2020 ford explorer issues

Moya Mote

Reaction score
City, State
Tipp city ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford explorer ltd
Hi all. About a month ago I purchased a 2020 explorer limited. A couple days after I took it home I noticed a clink sound in the passenger side front wheel. Took it back to dealer and after a week of having my car they decided the noise was a strut. So they replaced that. Fast forward a couple weeks and the powertrain malfunction light comes on. And alerted my ford pass. Now I literally walk in the door after just having driven the car and I get an alert on ford pass saying deep sleep mode activated. I'm getting frustrated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Deep Sleep mode is a way the vehicle will disable all active electronics, like the Cell and WiFi modems, to prevent from depleting any remaining capacity in the battery. This happens when the battery is low on charge or if the battery is going bad. If you don't drive very far between starts, its possible the engine is not running long enough to fully charge the battery, or it could just be a bad battery.

To return from Deep Sleep mode, press the start button to start the car, if it wont start, the battery may need to be charged (or replaced if bad) first.

Welcome.

Picked up a new 2020 Explorer Platinum last Saturday for the wife--my first ever new Ford. She took it on a 50 mile drive on Sunday and there was no heat--zero. Not fun when it is 25F outside in the first winter storm of the season in Montana. Dropped it at the dealer on Monday at 730 A and they said that afternoon it needed some sort of coolant recirculating pump. Since when does the HVAC system not just use engine coolant pressure? Four days later the dealer has not received the part and said they had tracked it and it was in Memphis. Not pleased with buying a $60K rig, having it for one day and it spending a week (or more) in the shop with 87 miles on the odometer. I hoped the 2020 Explorer HVAC design, QA/AC teem, and their crappy suppliers get to drive a heatless new vehicle in the snow. Ford better gets its act together or they will be buying this one back very soon.

Four days? I waited 4 weeks for window part to come in. Luckily, I did not drop it off at the dealer until the part came in.

Picked up a new 2020 Explorer Platinum last Saturday for the wife--my first ever new Ford. She took it on a 50 mile drive on Sunday and there was no heat--zero. Not fun when it is 25F outside in the first winter storm of the season in Montana. Dropped it at the dealer on Monday at 730 A and they said that afternoon it needed some sort of coolant recirculating pump. Since when does the HVAC system not just use engine coolant pressure? Four days later the dealer has not received the part and said they had tracked it and it was in Memphis. Not pleased with buying a $60K rig, having it for one day and it spending a week (or more) in the shop with 87 miles on the odometer. I hoped the 2020 Explorer HVAC design, QA/AC teem, and their crappy suppliers get to drive a heatless new vehicle in the snow. Ford better gets its act together or they will be buying this one back very soon.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Winter is still 2.5 months away. I hope it's fixed by then. One of our Western provinces also had a Fall snowstorm a few days ago with accumulations in the 60-80 cm range (24 - 31").

Peter

Every time I get ready to visit the dealer I read another string of complaints/failures. I wonder what the dealer would be willing to acknowledge regarding all the complaints? At least I can benefit from the Forum. Better wise than sorry.

With this being a new design, I'm guessing the dealers are learning about the issues just as the owners are.

Peter

Peter, well said. Owners and dealers are all floating down the river in the same leaky boat. Hope Ford comes to the rescue before we all run aground.

Just picked up my new ST on Friday. Two issues so far - one, have a strange squeaking noise in the top plastic panels on the inside of the liftgate. The squeaking is unbearable - high pitched and constant at speed. It stops if firm pressure is applied by hand. It appears that the dealer had made a repair attempt already as I noticed a couple of panels and covers slightly out of place in the near vicinity and two screws sitting in a cubby in the back. Did not notice on my brief test drive at pickup. Second, the "R" in "Explorer" is out of alignment on the front hood - almost like it fell off and was glued back on. Not sure how I missed this at pickup, but was mostly focused on looking for any damage. Fortunately, these QC issues seem relatively minor, but not happy about spending nearly $60K have having two issues right off the bat. My wife's ~$15K fiesta never had a single problem in all the time we owned it...

On the positive side, I love how little highway noise enters the cabin. It drives wonderfully. Hopefully the dealer will take care of these minor issues and it will be problem-free.

I see I’m not the only one who has had their Ford at the dealer for “issues” within first week of purchase. This is my first Ford and I’m not pleased. Everyday it’s something new that stops working.

Just picked up my new ST on Friday. Two issues so far - one, have a strange squeaking noise in the top plastic panels on the inside of the liftgate. The squeaking is unbearable - high pitched and constant at speed. It stops if firm pressure is applied by hand. It appears that the dealer had made a repair attempt already as I noticed a couple of panels and covers slightly out of place in the near vicinity and two screws sitting in a cubby in the back. Did not notice on my brief test drive at pickup. Second, the "R" in "Explorer" is out of alignment on the front hood - almost like it fell off and was glued back on. Not sure how I missed this at pickup, but was mostly focused on looking for any damage. Fortunately, these QC issues seem relatively minor, but not happy about spending nearly $60K have having two issues right off the bat. My wife's ~$15K fiesta never had a single problem in all the time we owned it...

On the positive side, I love how little highway noise enters the cabin. It drives wonderfully. Hopefully the dealer will take care of these minor issues and it will be problem-free.
As per your Warranty Guide, appearance defects should be reported to the dealership with 1 week of taking delivery.

Peter

As per your Warranty Guide, appearance defects should be reported to the dealership with 1 week of taking delivery.

Peter
My ST is scheduled to be built 10/12. Reading all of this really has me worrying but I will give credit to my dealer. He said if for any reason I don’t want it he will reorder next year. He even indicated Ford has got to get its act together. This would be the most we have ever spent on a vehicle and I’m not buying something that appears to have many, many issues. If they don’t have it within 10 days after build I’m assuming it went to DET and if that’s the case it’s no, no no !

My ST is scheduled to be built 10/12. Reading all of this really has me worrying but I will give credit to my dealer. He said if for any reason I don’t want it he will reorder next year. He even indicated Ford has got to get its act together. This would be the most we have ever spent on a vehicle and I’m not buying something that appears to have many, many issues. If they don’t have it within 10 days after build I’m assuming it went to DET and if that’s the case it’s no, no no !

The ones that have issues are the ones vocal on here (and for good reason). However, there are lots of us out there that have had no issues and love the vehicle. Just be optimistic and address issues if they occur. I would bet you will be pleased. From what I understand, vehicles have been shipping direct for quite a while now with no "fixing" trips.

The ones that have issues are the ones vocal on here (and for good reason). However, there are lots of us out there that have had no issues and love the vehicle. Just be optimistic and address issues if they occur. I would bet you will be pleased. From what I understand, vehicles have been shipping direct for quite a while now with no "fixing" trips.
thanks TonyST. Fingers crossed!

thanks TonyST. Fingers crossed!

Just because it takes more than 10 days doesn't mean it went anywhere. Your dealer can track it and tell you exactly where it is going step by step once it is built. It could take more than 10 days because of coordinating vehicles to be delivered and merging from different junction points alone.

Peter

Appreciate the tip - email sent. I'll post back with the results. This is a major Houston dealership, so fingers crossed I can get these issues worked out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just because it takes more than 10 days doesn't mean it went anywhere. Your dealer can track it and tell you exactly where it is going step by step once it is built. It could take more than 10 days because of coordinating vehicles to be delivered and merging from different junction points alone.
Have the issues sending them to DET been resolved? Are all units now going from Chicago directly to the dealer?

Back