2020 Explorer exhaust smell | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer exhaust smell

Thanks for your input. I have a second appointment at a different dealer next week. I'll mention what you all have been pointing. I'll let you what happens.
I have a 2021 platinum with a similar issue.

Did they find the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have this issue on my 21 King Ranch 3.0TT, I did in my 5th gen (2016 Limited V6) but so far NOT in my current 6th gen

I have a 2021 and when our Ford Explorer XLT is sitting still and running, hot oil/exhaust smell fills the cabin through the air conditioning system. It’s so bad that I immediately hit the recycle air button on the system when I come to a stop. Even my garage becomes filled with the smell when I park my car inside after use. It’s so annoying. I don’t understand what it is. Wasn’t doing this when we first got it. What the heck. And I don’t want to take it to a dealer, I don’t have the emotional energy to deal with “we can’t smell it” or “we are waiting on Ford to tell us what to do.” 🙈🙈🙈
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I doubt it will get much better without doing anything and may get worse not to mention any health impact. That definitely is not normal.

Peter

I literally just finished dealing with a similar issue with an AMG GT I had. The devil roams like a lion. Thankfully Jesus is greater. Unbelievable.
The only way Jesus is going to solve this problem is if you get to meet him.

I have a 2021 and when our Ford Explorer XLT is sitting still and running, hot oil/exhaust smell fills the cabin through the air conditioning system. It’s so bad that I immediately hit the recycle air button on the system when I come to a stop. Even my garage becomes filled with the smell when I park my car inside after use. It’s so annoying. I don’t understand what it is. Wasn’t doing this when we first got it. What the heck. And I don’t want to take it to a dealer, I don’t have the emotional energy to deal with “we can’t smell it” or “we are waiting on Ford to tell us what to do.” 🙈🙈🙈
Having the EXACT same issue with 2020 Explorer ST. Vehicle is in the dealer for the 5th time. They originally told me that the catalytic converter was leaking and that was what I was smelling in the cabin. 10 minutes after I picked the car up the smell was still there so I took it back. They said the actual problem was oil leaking from the valve cover, dripping on a turbo or exhaust, turning into white smoke and getting sucked into the cabin. They ordered new gaskets for the valve cover, reinstalled everything and said it was good to go. A week later I started smelling it again and it got progressively worse. Now I had huge clouds of white smoke when the car was idling. Took it back again and now they have ordered a complete new valve cover. I can only drive this car with the windows open. Eyes water and get headaches. Can't believe the number of issues I've had with this vehicle.

Welcome to the Forum ST Joe. :wave:
I've found the smell from the catalytic converter to be more of an unmistakable sulphur/rotten egg smell. That doesn't appear to be your case.
Given the personal effects of this problem on your health, I'd strongly recommend against driving it. Have you confirmed that carbon monoxide isn't entering the cabin?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum ST Joe. :wave:
I've found the smell from the catalytic converter to be more of an unmistakable sulphur/rotten egg smell. That doesn't appear to be your case.
Given the personal effects of this problem on your health, I'd strongly recommend against driving it. Have you confirmed that carbon monoxide isn't entering the cabin?

Peter
Good thought - Haven't tested for CO. When I first got the car, I noticed the smell but people said it was 'manufacturing residue' and would go away. In my case, it continued to get worse. Have had a window open whenever I drive - great fun in the rain and freezing temperatures.

Hey folks....new here....I purchased a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT new and since day one I have had exhaust problems; such as rotten egg smell (constantly), a burning smell, and now my vehicle is chugging. It has been in and out of the shop since November 2020 and the dealership and Ford is saying that there is a problem. Has this happened to anyone else? Suggestions?
I have a 2020 Explorer ST. I have a burning smell in the cabin that makes my eyes water. Took it in for service and the first thing they did was to replace my catalytic converter. They said it was a known problem with bad welds. Unfortunately, my problem persisted and the new diagnosis is oil leaking from the valve cover, dripping on the turbo/exhaust, and turning into white smoke that is sucked into the fresh air vent.

I have a 2020 Platinum Explorer. I get a exhaust smell in the cabin while the car is stopped. Doesn't matter if there are other cars around or not. I can smell it while walking around the car, usually around the front area is where I get the smell. I took it in to Ford and they couldn't find an issue or smell anything. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer and see what they say. Any ideas?
through many years I have seen a cracked or open EGR crossover tube, if your engine doesn't have one then check the O2 sensors for cracks at the exhaust pipe

better keep pushing dealer what smell smells like it may also have carbon monoxide LEOs who use explorers were finding officers were falling asleep or really tired co was found ford was claiming it was equipment installed for police needs not heard conclusion
if you have police or sheriff office that uses explorers see if you can call and speak with the person in charge of fleet if he has info
co kills since it makes you sleepy them it get in blood . faulty home heaters, power failures people run generators inside homes
and garages . every home that has a appliance that burns any fuel needs both smoke and co monitor there models that do both

better keep pushing dealer what smell smells like it may also have carbon monoxide LEOs who use explorers were finding officers were falling asleep or really tired co was found ford was claiming it was equipment installed for police needs not heard conclusion
if you have police or sheriff office that uses explorers see if you can call and speak with the person in charge of fleet if he has info
co kills since it makes you sleepy them it get in blood . faulty home heaters, power failures people run generators inside homes
and garages . every home that has a appliance that burns any fuel needs both smoke and co monitor there models that do both
This applied to the 5th gen Explorer and not just the PIU. Ford offered free repairs to more than 1.4 million Explorers. This repair was done to my previous 2017 Platinum although I didn't have the issue.

Peter

Back